User Tag List

123 Last

Banned

Default Creative writers, designers, composers.

Which type(s) match creative writers, designers (video games, especially), and composers? Second, can Sensors be creative with making stories, composing music, or designing?

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

I think IN GENERAL Ps have a slight advantage over Js when it comes to creative arts because they have extraverted percieving functions, which help in percieving ideas and are open ended rather than focused. T and F and I and E seem to be MOSTLY irrelevant. Ns probably have an advantage in certain areas of design and art, such as surrealism etc. which rely on abstract ideas, while S's would be better at more aesthetic aspects.

That's just some generalisations. Of course, any type is capable of great creativity.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ true. though, i generally dislike surrealism. it's often super creepy, lol.

Second, can Sensors be creative with making stories, composing music, or designing?
    absolutely!! i think my ESFJ mom is more creative than i am in some ways. she's always coming up with new ideas for games and books and systems (she's a teacher). they're usually less off-the-wall than my ideas, but they're more realistically achievable, which means that she often ends up actually creating more than i do. Ss also often have awesome aesthetic sense and a good instinct in terms of knowing what should go with what. i personally prefer to read S-ish fiction - more sensory detail, more action, less random philosophizing - do enough of that on my own!

though i do think T and F can make for interesting differences in terms of reason for creation/ "rules of the game" in creation. like my INTP brother likes to improv in music because he finds it really intellectually stimulating and likes complicated twists and turns of chords. i like improv because it lets me freely express my personal feeling through the music. obviously, we both overlap on both of these reasons, but the generalizations do correspond to our types, which i thought was interesting.

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

I'm a creative writing student. In one module I have to compose seven poems, and in drama I must write a postmodernist play.

One of my poems is an epistle (poetry in the form of a letter), titled "Letter of Complaint". It's addressed "to the occupiers", and you discover by the end that the sender is a house spider complaining of the treatment it is receiving (left unattended in a bath tub, chased with a vacuum cleaner, etc). Ending with "Yours faithfully, T. Duellica". The latin name of the species (Google at your own peril; they have very long legs).

I haven't started the postmodernist play, but I'm planning on Andre Breton becoming "President of the world", and his party's policies are based on "The Surrealist Manifesto". Followers of the Naturalist party are treated as second-class citizens. No idea of what's going to happen, but these are the bare bones of the play. A revolt would seem too cliché, me thinks. Perhaps Seamus Heaney's public execution, giving his poem "Death of a Naturalist" an ominous twist. Hmm.
    Um, yeah.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

*sigh* yes, sensors can be creative.

My bf is a web designer and makes some pretty awesome designs.
    My sister is a very talented artist thinking about art as a career.
    Even I have some artistic talent, though it's more on the technical side than creative.

Given the huge number of artists and composers out there, I'm sure many are S. Even looking in the typing threads here some well-known creative types seem unquestionably S (especially xSFP). I'm prety sure you'd see a greater correlation with P, or even I. Mind you, it's usually a different "flavour" of creative, like F vs. T would be.
    -end of thread-

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Sensors can be just as productive creatively as intuitives.

I know lots of artists of all types; writers, musicians, sculptors, painters, composers, poets, dancers, choreographers...I know many.

Actually, the ability to make or perform art strikes me as intrinsically intuitive, which makes me think that whatever an individual states as their prefered mode of experiencing the world (N or S), is largely irrelevent in the process of making art. Remember that it's a dichotomy, not either/or. Everyone is a sensor and everyone is intuitive to some degree.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

I think in general artistic creation is mostly Pe and performing is mostly Fe or Pe.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I do notice quite a few more P musicians and artists than Js(but Pi can be very creative too, especially Ni), I myself am a very talented artist(I'm also in graphic design). I personally think a structured, controlled approach to art can be very limiting, like for me, the inspiration has to come spontaneously and I see this notion expressed alot in art. I also have an extremely over-active imagination, this is good for the creative arts but messes me up with more practical applications, like being very attentive(hence the NTP absent-minded professor stereotype).
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    I think IN GENERAL Ps have a slight advantage over Js when it comes to creative arts because they have extraverted percieving functions, which help in percieving ideas and are open ended rather than focused.
    I agree. I don't think outside the box very much. :/ My box is very defined by previous experiences.

MBTI
    GOAT
    Enneagram
    DUNO
    Socionics
    FOFF

Overwhelming majority of creative artists are dominant intuitives (Ni or Ne as their lead function, particularly Ni).

ISFP (more artistically orientated) and ISTP (more technically orientated) tend to be the most common creative artist type amongst the sensors.