User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 21

  1. #11
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    I've played guitar for 20 years, draw a little, would like to get more into writing. I guess I'm a sensor. I know two possible ISFPs who are painters - and a lot more creative than I am. One is semi-famous even (Which is a pretty hard to thing to pull off these days imo.. Painters aren't as recognized as they used to be. Point being, he's creative, and making a good living from it to boot).

  2. #12
    Reptilian Snuggletron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    10
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Second, can Sensors be creative with making stories, composing music, or designing?


    I'm an NP and I draw, and this requires observational and coordination skills obviously (sensor realm). If I'm doing conceptual stuff, well that is giving Ne a go at things. Which is equally amusing.

  3. #13
    Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    Overwhelming majority of creative artists are dominant intuitives (Ni or Ne as their lead function, particularly Ni).

    ISFP (more artistically orientated) and ISTP (more technically orientated) tend to be the most common creative artist type amongst the sensors.
    I thought the N/S line in artists was usually close to even.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

  4. #14
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    When I was in design school, most people seemed to be Pe users, and there were a lot of introverts. There were people of all types though; I'm sure the kind of art makes a difference too. I might venture to say that EJs seemed underrepresented, followed by the ISJs. There were a lot of FPs (I felt quite at home - but then I tend to with artsy/creative people). I'm quite sure I encountered other INFPs then, but it's too hard to sort out acquaintances' types in retrospect, especially when you just saw them in class here & there. I mean, they could be another FP type or something else altogether.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  5. #15
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Apparently, there aren't even that many N's in the population as a whole. Especially introverted intuitives. Yet, there are a ton of creative people in the world. Hundreds of millions.. maybe a billion. Who knows. A fuckton - that's my educated guess.

    To see just how much it plays out, I would suggest one simply walk into a guitar shop and observe every Tom, Dick, Harry, Mary, Sue, and Jane shredding on the guitars there (and most are good! I'm humbled half of the time).. Or go to an art class or a theater workshop or writing group or look in the phonebook for someone who designs dresses or would paint a mural for your workplace or design a website. Creativity is everywhere.. it's kind of common in my view. Not as common as being an SJ or SP, but common enough that they can't be leaning heavily to NF or NT. It's just part of being human in general.

    I know it might be different to be N and for some, it feels like you're unique.. therefore you need to latch on to whatever else is special or unique in the world - art being one of those things. Except being creative really isn't that unique, and none of this is type related.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    GOAT
    Enneagram
    DUNO
    Socionics
    FOFF
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    I thought the N/S line in artists was usually close to even.
    It's quite skewed - I see creativity as a product of intuition, so it helps if you have an intuitive function high up in your cognitive hierarchy.

    Creative ISFP/ISTP are generally well in tune with their tertiary Ni, although strictly speaking, they are feeling and thinking types respectively as that is their dominant mode of operation.

    Dominant sensing types whilst they have other good abilities are rare to see as creative artist because intuitive functions are their inferior/hardest to master, least preferred and the environment rarely calls on them to develop it to a great extent like it does for an dominant intuitive type to develop inferior sensing functions.

  7. #17
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    Overwhelming majority of creative artists are dominant intuitives (Ni or Ne as their lead function, particularly Ni).

    ISFP (more artistically orientated) and ISTP (more technically orientated) tend to be the most common creative artist type amongst the sensors.
    Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    It's quite skewed - I see creativity as a product of intuition, so it helps if you have an intuitive function high up in your cognitive hierarchy.

    Creative ISFP/ISTP are generally well in tune with their tertiary Ni, although strictly speaking, they are feeling and thinking types respectively as that is their dominant mode of operation.

    Dominant sensing types whilst they have other good abilities are rare to see as creative artist because intuitive functions are their inferior/hardest to master, least preferred and the environment rarely calls on them to develop it to a great extent like it does for an dominant intuitive type to develop inferior sensing functions.
    Just wondering if you have a source for this "overwhelming majority of artists are not only N, but dominant N" or you're just making shit up? From my experience, others' experiences, suspected types of popular creative people, and even theoretically reasoning, this is a load of steaming bullcrap unless you start by defining "creativity" as "intuitive"....which is frankly dumb as well as pointless. And even if we assume that every single dominant N type in the world is creative (they aren't, in case you were unsure), that's a pretty small pool for the number of professionally creative people that exist, let along creative hobbyists.

    -end of thread-

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    GOAT
    Enneagram
    DUNO
    Socionics
    FOFF
    Posts
    130

    Default

    The majority I've read about, listened to and come across etc... it isn't backed up empirically, but nothing anyone says about the MBTI is, because MBTI isn't backed up empirically!

    It's a speculative theory, if you want solid verified facts then MBTI is not a place you will find them.

    It is hard to fault from a theoretical perspective - the most comprehensive definition I could find on the net for creativity is the "mental process involving the discovery of new ideas or concepts, or new associations of the existing ideas or concepts, fueled by the process of either conscious or unconscious insight."

    This is basically what intuition does for us, as sensing sees what's literally there - it makes sense (NPI) that people with intuition dominant i.e. as their lead way of functioning, sense of identity and biggest strength, would be geared towards creative pursuits moreso than other types who don't have intuition playing this role in their psyche.

    Every type has an intuitive function, so everyone does have creative potential - I never said all dominant intuitive had the market cornered, were always super creative or composed all of the worlds creative people - although I do think they have the greatest potential to be, if they can realise that potential in themselves and make best use of it.

  9. #19
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    it isn't backed up empirically, but nothing anyone says about the MBTI is
    That isn't a get out of jail free card, you know...especially considering the empirical facts (such as they are) argue against your theory.

    It is hard to fault from a theoretical perspective - the most comprehensive definition I could find on the net for creativity is the "mental process involving the discovery of new ideas or concepts, or new associations of the existing ideas or concepts, fueled by the process of either conscious or unconscious insight."
    Uh, ok? I guess I missed the memo on sensors being unable to discover new ideas or form new associations. Most definitions of creativity also focus on creating new things, which you conveniently didn't mention - that part sounds more geared towards sensors, doesn't it?

    If we were talking about discovering new creative ways to solve differential equations, you'd have my attention. And clearly many creative people are intuitive, and you could make a fairly strong argument that intuitives are overrepresented for their population, especially in certain areas. But seriously, all creative things? Creativity in choosing paint colours, in combining food flavours, in composing music, in writing novels, in the performing arts, in designing clothes, it's all dominated by intuitives, a small minority of the population? That's quite a stretch (and not backed up by the evidence).

    I would actually agree that most creative people would probably have a strong intuitive side, but I disagree that they need to be full-blown intuitives, as sensing confers several strong advantages to the creative process. I would also wager that intuitive creative people, especially in more physically creative areas, would have a strong sensing side as well.
    -end of thread-

  10. #20
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    The only big difference I can see with a stronger intuitive type and myself is that they probably conceptualize more. If I get creative, it's more hands-on.. my wheels aren't spinning right off the bat. If I pick up a guitar, I often don't have anything in mind on what I want to do. I just start searching for it. People who've never met me might even think I suck at first. Some of my introversion and perfectionism might be holding me back too, but I think it's also because I don't find my place in things until I'm really engaged. The conceptual/intuitive switch I have may turn on later. I think that's somewhat the case for both ISPs. Lenore Thomson touches a little on it, in how they both sort of "think" with their bodies. I'd quote her, but I can't find the book right now.

    This goes without mentioning that she goes on about ISTPs doing things like playing their guitars all day...She also touches on the writing style of ESP authors. She's an INTJ, and immersed in theory more than most of us, and even she wouldn't take artistry or creativity away from SPs. On the flipside, she doesn't take away athleticism or physical activity from INJs either, for example. With that mind, I think all of these things aren't exactly type related. Lately I've been trying to figure out where exactly MBTI applies and leaves off... what it's real intent and purpose is, and what is or isn't exclusive to certain types. I don't think it's any of these things though - they're too general.

Similar Threads

  1. [SP] Any other creative SPs tired of all artists, musicians, writers being typed as Ns?
    By brainheart in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 09-22-2009, 11:37 PM
  2. Ken Miller on Intelligent Design
    By darlets in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 05:13 PM
  3. British writer's experience at LAX
    By spirilis in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 04:48 AM
  4. Kama Sutra Positions for Internet Writers
    By sdalek in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 11:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO