• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NTs and listening to metal

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have a completely unscientific question that I have been thinking about due to
personal observations.....

do you think NTs like listening to metal more often than people from other temperaments?
I know that taste in music is a matter of individual taste, not of temperament....
however, I'd just like to know your personal, unscientific observations on this....

maydelle

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Personally I don't listen to metal or any type of music that goes into that. I have a couple of NT friends who though.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I do - others don't. I've not observed any strong relationship.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I rarely listen to metal, used to go to a lot of concerts, though. Guy I know who's into it is NF, as far as I can tell.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
if NTs listen metal more often than some other types, i think its because we dont get that strong emotional vibes from it. i mean nf listening to cradle of filth or slayer would cry if s/he wouldnt be pretty seriously twisted individual, but im able to filter all that eating your brain stuff and listen to the great melodies and skilled instrument playing, good usage of voice and take all that fucking your carcass in a stab wound with humor.

but there are some metal bands that suite better for more sensitive people, like nightwish, rage against the machine etc.

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I listen to metal from virtually every genre (black, death, power, symphonic, prog, et al) but I've encountered plenty of NTs who don't. Metal doesn't encompass my entire spectrum of musical enjoyment, but it almost certainly has the largest and deepest footprint.

The only person I know in real life who shares most of my taste in that particular arena of music is an INFJ.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
if NTs listen metal more often than some other types, i think its because we dont get that strong emotional vibes from it. i mean nf listening to cradle of filth or slayer would cry if s/he wouldnt be pretty seriously twisted individual, but im able to filter all that eating your brain stuff and listen to the great melodies and skilled instrument playing, good usage of voice and take all that fucking your carcass in a stab wound with humor.

but there are some metal bands that suite better for more sensitive people, like nightwish, rage against the machine etc.

I say the darker you go in terms of sound, the more likely it is for sensitive people to like it.

I think metal is one of the most emotional charged genres in music. As such, I think Ts and Fs will approach it for different reasons. Fs might listen to it because the feelings portrayed resonate within themselves and Ts might listen to it because they need a hardcore approach to tap into their feelings.

Obviously this doesn't preclude T and F as a spectrum.

MissLizzy

In forums I perceived that T types may be more likely to listen to metal. But IRL I know F's who love this kind of music, for exemple my ESFJ uncle, one ENFP friend and one ESFP acquaintance. Personally, I like listening to Sonata Arctica, Metallica and Rage Against the Machine.

Idontcare

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

Yeah Metal constitutes most of what I listen to. I listen to a lot of the heavier bloodier "scarier" sub genres of it and I think the fact that it has no effect on me is the reason above. I also listen to it for the fact that a lot of it is complex and very technical, so I can analyze it which is why it attracts me so i do think it is an NT thing to listen to metal at least more so and more common than the other types.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Most of the stuff I hear is metal, and I am INFP. And no, I don't cry while doing so, so I hope I am not to be considered "twisted" or what was said here.

I think what Moiety says seems true. I like metal because of the powerful, emotional atmosphere mostly (which I cannot really grasp in every music), and the melodies etc. Darker stuff often (that is mostly Black Metal or something in the direction), but sometimes also more "good-mood"-stuff (whatever genre you want to attribute to it). But there is also much metal which I don't like, because not everything in metal shows the attributes I mentioned, at least in my opinion. I don't make that though depending on the lyrics mostly (I don't mind if there is sometimes rather "brutal" lyrics, and I don't mind if there is not; hell, sometimes I don't mind if there is even lyrics at all, I can hear only instrumental stuff too and actually do quite often) but more on the actual music and the atmosphere.

So I go mostly into the direction of bands like Burzum, but that doesn't mean I cannot listen also to some other stuff like Korpiklaani sometimes.

I often heard already that those people who seem most peaceful in their real life listen not that rarely to metal stuff in their private time (and I believe that many who play metal music are rather peaceful in their private time), and possibly people would take me as an example too. It is just that the reigning stereotype of the classic metalhead is playing itself much more into the foreground, and well, maybe most of what is there now in the so-called scene fits to the stereotypes, but it is not everything. Metal is a wide field, and it is not only either dumb random smashing on some instruments or only stereotype-emo-music or whatever so-called "commerce-/untrve"-stuff.

That obviously is now a bit off from MBTI, but you can now of course turn the thing around and see that the whole question is not that easy to answer.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think using the term "metal" is wayyyy too broad for what this thread is trying to accomplish.

<> Metal in the days of Metallica and Iron Maiden could definitely appeal to a wider variety of people than modern death metal/all the other crazy sub-genres.
<> What we call "hair metal" today, was basically at the same level of Lady Gaga and Katy Perry electro-pop today.

I'm an F. I love metallica (all of their songs and phases). I do not like "modern" metal with all of its crazy sub-genres. I think Metallica is definitely a very "thoughtful", "passionate" and "inquisitive" style and band. If this means F or T? Who knows.

I actually think metal probably correlates to something like being Limbic over Calm. Metal is often about being against the establishment, people being against you, not fitting in, and it all sounds somewhat neurotic when you compare it to some of the happy-go-lucky pop.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I listen to some metal'ish music sometimes, in my early teens I listened to some metal and genres related to that but around 93-94 I started getting interested in electronic music/techno, which has been a constant musically until this very day. I do listen to other stuff though. I dont like the screamo/growling stuff, I need more contained music, I simply dont understand the need for changing your voice, even if I can see the technical skill in it.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Personally, I'm no big metal fan. I don't know what counts as metal these days (it seems very vague) but about the closest thing I like to it is AC-DC or maybe a bit of Linkin-Park style stuff. Does that count?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I mostly can't stand metal, but there do seem to be a lot of NTs who are into it. Lots of NTs are into metal and electronica. They seem to like it from a technical standpoint.

I don't like being yelled at, and I like my music to have a little more soul. There's a lot of metal that just seems too cold and too technical for my taste. I appreciate that it takes talent to perform certain aspects of it, but I don't enjoy listening to it. I do like hard rock and early "metal," but death metal and the screaming stuff leaves me cold. And a lot of it just seems silly.

Niaurus

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
No, Linkin Park doesn't count, Rage Against the Machine as well. It's a matter of the metal subgenre that different personality type would like. And everyone finds something they adore in music, so it could be any type, but yes, I've seen much NT's into such stuff.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I mostly can't stand metal, but there do seem to be a lot of NTs who are into it. Lots of NTs are into metal and electronica. They seem to like it from a technical standpoint.

I don't like being yelled at, and I like my music to have a little more soul. There's a lot of metal that just seems too cold and too technical for my taste. I appreciate that it takes talent to perform certain aspects of it, but I don't enjoy listening to it. I do like hard rock and early "metal," but death metal and the screaming stuff leaves me cold. And a lot of it just seems silly.

if you mean melody in metal v/s "death metal and the screaming stuff", I totally agree.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
My housemate is an ENXP and loves grindcore. At 3am. It makes me want to kill soft furry things. BUT, that is besides the point, he loves it from a technical point of view, in fact I think we became friends because I managed to drunkenly spew forth some retarded pearl of wisdom in that "good hardcore/music is all about the maths". Hm my story stopped having a point, sorry! =\