• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

So, are you really your type, or do you wish you were your type???

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
My best friend just took the Myers Briggs test again, and came out as being an INFP. (Which she is soooooooooooooo not).

I've taken the test a handful of times over a span of at least five years, and I always am an ENFP, though once I scored an I, instead of an E.

Also, whenever I research material on my type, I am astounded by how accurately it generally depicts my personality.

Lastly, I just don't think most people are self aware.

Which begs the question, are phonies even aware that they're phony?

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Haha, well we've briefly mentioned Socrates in another topic you created, and he pretty much answered that YES, phony people are not even aware that they are phony.

I know someone as well that scores as ISFP, but honestly I wouldn't have ever thought it was her type and I am skeptical about it. Sometimes I wonder if people answer with how they WISH they were or something.

For a long, long time I thought I was an INTJ, and all the websites that I took the test on supported this. However, my University pays for all the Freshmen to take the real MBTI and I tested as INFJ. When I went for career counseling they pulled my results and basically thoroughly convinced me I was truly an INFJ. Ever since then I have come to consistently verify my INFJ-ness. Now when I take the MBTI test online I test as INFJ. Strange, isn't it?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
My best friend just took the Myers Briggs test again, and came out as being an INFP. (Which she is soooooooooooooo not).

I've taken the test a handful of times over a span of at least five years, and I always am an ENFP, though once I scored an I, instead of an E.

Also, whenever I research material on my type, I am astounded by how accurately it generally depicts my personality.

The biggest problem is probably the sensor/intuitive divide. The MBTI books and all were written by intuitives.. and the bias clearly shows.. there is a lot more positive life affirming language in the intuitive descriptions than in the sensor ones. So it is no wonder if people self select intuitive as they believe it to be superior...

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
I always test as INFP, and I thought I was INFP for several years. It's only when I went on INFPgc that, (after a few months still!) I finally realised that I was no INFP.

And yet, I felt like the descriptions of INFP were right on for me! The problem, as I came to discover, was that I was putting a different meaning on words than what they were actually supposed to mean. Once I got to know real INFPs, I finally understood how those profiles were supposed to be read (and obviously, when read the "right" way, they don't apply to me anymore :rolli:)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I have questioned my own type before, but there are so many of my own type with similar tendencies that I tend to suspect I'm close. On the other hand, I've also had an alarming number of quirks (but not general personality) in common with an ESTP on here, so that may not mean anything...

The most common alternate types people suggest for me are INTJ and ISFJ, but both of those are so close to the type I believe myself to be right now that I think I'm probably correct.

I don't really think it makes a person a "phony" to be wrong about their type. It's just a set of preferences you can't really be sure of.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm quite sure of my ESTPness :)rofl1: I love the way that sounds! :wubbie:) I've taken the REAL MBTI test and everything! :holy: (thank you university AND leadership conference :dry:) The description also is quite accurate even though sometimes my type is doubted because I'm rather influenced by other life events as well :sad:

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
CaptainChick said:

Not sure if I am. Are you?

Anyway, I feel that this type is the closest one that matches me. No one can accuse my J of being strong, though. And I wouldn't really mind being disproven - ultimately I don't care all that much about the MBTI... I might have mistyped myself, but I think that I do have a good level of self-awareness. Can it be better? Certainly!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

I agree with what you say about people not being self-aware.
I think that some types tend to be less self-aware than others.

Also, the questions can be hard to understand. We don't always understand the framework or context in which they're being asked. Sometimes we don't know enough other people who are different from ourselves - especially if we're young - to understand the differences between people.

For instance, I used to think I was an observant person. If someone would have asked me if I am observant, I would have said yes. But 20 years later, I can see (ha ha) that I was NOT observant. Compared to my ISTP husband, I am not even paying attention!

That's why I sometimes test spouses together. I get feedback from one spouse about the other spouse and so I can be more sure I'm getting the right answers.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
To answer the OP question, I wish I were more INTJ or more INFJ. I feel like I only have the bad traits of each type, without having the good traits to help me have direction and be successful in life.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
That's why I sometimes test spouses together. I get feedback from one spouse about the other spouse and so I can be more sure I'm getting the right answers.
Excellent idea :happy2: !!

And very Te/TJ, by the way :D

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm very uncertain....my S is pretty crappy. None of the other types fit any better though so I'm at a loss. I'd be happy as either ISTP or INTJ though, the two most likely-seeming types.

Priam

MBTI Type
INTP
For years I've tested as an INFP, but I've recently come to accept that it comes from living in a very emotionally damaged home where I had to "mature" more rapidly than others. It skews my results, to a certain extent, because I place more importance on the skills I've found essential to "survival" than the ones that come more naturally. I'm always willing to accept a borderline judgement, but naturally I do feel myself INTP with a more active than usual Feeling awareness.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I wish I wasn't my type at times.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

You're a phony. I think you're a T. :D

Edit: I think you're right about people not really being self aware.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate to give the cop-out answer here, but, I think it's different for each person. That's what makes this whole damn thing so tricky. There are different types of test takers, but what test could you make to determine that? :D

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have questioned my own type before, but there are so many of my own type with similar tendencies that I tend to suspect I'm close. On the other hand, I've also had an alarming number of quirks (but not general personality) in common with an ESTP on here, so that may not mean anything...

I have a lot of quirks in common with my ESTP mom. I think it may have to do with using the same functions. Our goofiness is also identical.

lazyhappy

So, are you really your type, or do you wish you were your type???

That's a good question. It is so easy to get the wrong type being that thier are only 16 types that are to describe the complexities of a mind (though it could just seem complex, but based of assumption... i find it more complicated then not...) and thier always could be a bias when one takes a test, leading thier results to be scewed. I often doubt me being a INTP, but no other type are even close. and though thier could be a bias, my family and friends say it's the only thing i could be... i mean my next closest type is the INFP and thier is so freaking way i'm that nice and a "Dreamer"... as much as i wanted to be at first.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always come out as ESTJ, even though none of the descriptions fit me. I don't try to get this result, I just get it.