User Tag List

123 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default So, are you really your type, or do you wish you were your type???

My best friend just took the Myers Briggs test again, and came out as being an INFP. (Which she is soooooooooooooo not).

I've taken the test a handful of times over a span of at least five years, and I always am an ENFP, though once I scored an I, instead of an E.

Also, whenever I research material on my type, I am astounded by how accurately it generally depicts my personality.

Lastly, I just don't think most people are self aware.

Which begs the question, are phonies even aware that they're phony?

MBTI
    INFJ

Haha, well we've briefly mentioned Socrates in another topic you created, and he pretty much answered that YES, phony people are not even aware that they are phony.

I know someone as well that scores as ISFP, but honestly I wouldn't have ever thought it was her type and I am skeptical about it. Sometimes I wonder if people answer with how they WISH they were or something.

For a long, long time I thought I was an INTJ, and all the websites that I took the test on supported this. However, my University pays for all the Freshmen to take the real MBTI and I tested as INFJ. When I went for career counseling they pulled my results and basically thoroughly convinced me I was truly an INFJ. Ever since then I have come to consistently verify my INFJ-ness. Now when I take the MBTI test online I test as INFJ. Strange, isn't it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    My best friend just took the Myers Briggs test again, and came out as being an INFP. (Which she is soooooooooooooo not).

I've taken the test a handful of times over a span of at least five years, and I always am an ENFP, though once I scored an I, instead of an E.

Also, whenever I research material on my type, I am astounded by how accurately it generally depicts my personality.

The biggest problem is probably the sensor/intuitive divide. The MBTI books and all were written by intuitives.. and the bias clearly shows.. there is a lot more positive life affirming language in the intuitive descriptions than in the sensor ones. So it is no wonder if people self select intuitive as they believe it to be superior...

MBTI
    INFJ

I always test as INFP, and I thought I was INFP for several years. It's only when I went on INFPgc that, (after a few months still!) I finally realised that I was no INFP.

And yet, I felt like the descriptions of INFP were right on for me! The problem, as I came to discover, was that I was putting a different meaning on words than what they were actually supposed to mean. Once I got to know real INFPs, I finally understood how those profiles were supposed to be read (and obviously, when read the "right" way, they don't apply to me anymore :rolli

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I have questioned my own type before, but there are so many of my own type with similar tendencies that I tend to suspect I'm close. On the other hand, I've also had an alarming number of quirks (but not general personality) in common with an ESTP on here, so that may not mean anything...

The most common alternate types people suggest for me are INTJ and ISFJ, but both of those are so close to the type I believe myself to be right now that I think I'm probably correct.

I don't really think it makes a person a "phony" to be wrong about their type. It's just a set of preferences you can't really be sure of.

MBTI
    INTJ

I wish I was an INTJ
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm quite sure of my ESTPness ( I love the way that sounds! ) I've taken the REAL MBTI test and everything! (thank you university AND leadership conference ) The description also is quite accurate even though sometimes my type is doubted because I'm rather influenced by other life events as well :sad:
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick
    Not sure if I am. Are you?

Anyway, I feel that this type is the closest one that matches me. No one can accuse my J of being strong, though. And I wouldn't really mind being disproven - ultimately I don't care all that much about the MBTI... I might have mistyped myself, but I think that I do have a good level of self-awareness. Can it be better? Certainly!
    Not really.

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

I agree with what you say about people not being self-aware.
    I think that some types tend to be less self-aware than others.

Also, the questions can be hard to understand. We don't always understand the framework or context in which they're being asked. Sometimes we don't know enough other people who are different from ourselves - especially if we're young - to understand the differences between people.

For instance, I used to think I was an observant person. If someone would have asked me if I am observant, I would have said yes. But 20 years later, I can see (ha ha) that I was NOT observant. Compared to my ISTP husband, I am not even paying attention!

That's why I sometimes test spouses together. I get feedback from one spouse about the other spouse and so I can be more sure I'm getting the right answers.

MBTI
    INTJ

To answer the OP question, I wish I were more INTJ or more INFJ. I feel like I only have the bad traits of each type, without having the good traits to help me have direction and be successful in life.