User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Default Talking MBTI with IRL friends...

...and 9/10 times regretting it.

Who else has had this experience? Even when someone else brings up the MBTI on their own (their company or whatever had them take it), I almost always end up regret talking about it.

I listen to what type they got and how much they know about the test. Then usually this happens:

1. They totally misinterpret:
    <> E vs I. They often don't get that cognitive extroversion is different than social extroversion
    <> J vs P. They see J and P as an actual dichotomy with its own deciding criteria (which is totally divorced from the underlying jungian theory). They don't understand how the J/P has to actually be tied into their other letters.
    <> N vs S. It's as if the average person sees N as chiefly correlating with "being smart" (and of course everyone thinks they are a genius), where as in reality it much more correlates with high Openness (OCEAN big 5).

2. Obviously, there are reasons why the test has become watered down into a dichotomy not actually based on jungian functions. However, the problem is then when people try to talk to me about MBTI, I almost can't handle it.
    <> Its like I feel so compelled to discuss what they're missing. Like if you heard someone mispronounce your language!
    <> I try to be cordial and "gently" walk them towards the functions and explain where the test came from...but alas...

3. Who else feels like this: I'm considering just keeping my mouth shut from now on when the topic of MBTI comes up irl, because I always end up feeling like a crazy person when the topic comes up.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

If it gets brought up aside from having anyone take an online test or something, it's generally not talked about long. I haven't found anyone who is really interested in it except the person who introduced me to it and even he isn't interested in it anymore.

If it gets brought up because I mention it and someone wants to take the test to see what they are, the rest of the time is spent trying to explain what they don't understand (usually all of it), or listening to them quote from their type descriptions and saying "OMG THAT'S SO ME OMG"

mbti just sucks to talk about. People probably think I'm into horoscopes when I mention it so I just don't mention it anymore.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I've never had a bad reaction IRL. Two of my sisters, my high school bff, one of my best friends from WV, my ex, and several other friends, acquaintences, and roommates have all taken the test at my suggestion.

Some people find it really interesting. Others not so much. I've never pushed it to the point of making people upset IRL, because I don't see it as being that big of a deal IRL to push my ideas about it on to others.

Also I usually have to tell people I'm an introvert to explain my odd behavior, even if I'm actually borderline or one of those ENxP introverted extroverts, because it just makes my life easier.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Socionics
    ENFP

I feel the same way. I've opened my mouth about it a few times to my friends and they all think that I'm into astrology! (I agree with Snuggletron.) I would love to discuss type theory intelligently with somebody who'd patiently hear me out and correct some of my wilder theories. For a long time I wasn't aware of this board, and now that I read things on here I think I'm freaking out.

But yes, I don't think I will ever be satisfied with someone IRL. Based on the reactions I get, I'm almost embarrassed to talk about it with others now. Maybe that'll change and I hope it does. Maybe I'll go to one of the Typology meetups. I'm from the NY area, but I don't see any of them taking place there.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I rarely have a chance to get annoyed, as about 1 minute in they've lost interest and are moving onto a new topic. I only have one friend who I can't talk with it about even though he is semi-interested, as he is stuck on the 4 dichotomies and has not progressed to the underlying theory (and considering I think he is mistyped, it is especially annoying). It does make me get frustrated, but I don't want to get all know-it-all-y about it either, as if I was never in his shoes. It took me years after taking my first MBTI test to get into the theory. Until then, it was just an interesting quiz about personality. Most people are just not going to be interested enough to look beyond the test and profiles.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i haven't talked about it with anyone besides other personality psych nerds and my brother (INTP), who i had a suspicion would find it interesting. he found it mildly interesting but not to the point that i did. oddly enough, one of my bosses was quite interested in it, but i still can't really figure out her type!

also i've found it really interesting who in real life thinks i'm an extravert and who thinks i'm an introvert. it's about 50/50.

besides that, most people don't seem to be super interested.

I have two people I have become close with from here and have hung out with irl and we can talk about the functions and all that good stuff, but that is the extent of it in my world. Many people don't care about it, or don't want to understand it in the first place.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

People already think I'm cray cray. I've got nothing to lose going a little nutty about the MBTI.
    With dreamers, pure and simple, the imagination remains a vaguely sketched inner affair. It is not embodied in any aesthetic or practical invention. Reverie is the equivalent of weak desires. Dreamers are the aboulics of the creative imagination.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Nobody I know cares about it. Not even the INTP. I've told about 5 people. I don't want people to get the idea that I'm judging people based on it or anything, which I think is a reasonable conclusion, so I don't normally tell people about it.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    Nobody I know cares about it. Not even the INTP. I've told about 5 people. I don't want people to get the idea that I'm judging people based on it or anything, which I think is a reasonable conclusion, so I don't normally tell people about it.
    Yeah, this is similar to my experience. I've only had one RL friend in the last several years (an INFJ) who's given me any positive response once I've introduced MBTI theory. The others simply don't show much interest, so I drop it.
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good