User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i've gotten a few people to take the test, mostly just to see if i was right about guessing their type. most weren't that interested though. my one friend who did take more of an interest in it i think was googling and taking all the celebrity typings on the internet as fact ("kanye west is an enfp too!" "nah i think he's enfj" "well there was a website that said he was enfp and all these people were agreeing!"), probably here actually.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    If it gets brought up because I mention it and someone wants to take the test to see what they are, the rest of the time is spent trying to explain what they don't understand (usually all of it), or listening to them quote from their type descriptions and saying "OMG THAT'S SO ME OMG"
    This happened to me two days ago. On the one hand, it's understandable that the person in question will be first interested and attracted to information that helps them perceive and critically evaluate themselves (okay so I'm being generous here). On the other hand, the person in question had me guess her type (got it in one) and then used the rest of the evening to quote parts of the type description at me and preen about it. When I tried to broach the deeper theory mechanics she brushed it off and started talking about the celebrities she shared a type with. Sigh.
    5w4 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

My high school friends liked to talk about it, because we had to take it for a psychology class, and we all found it interesting...it didn't really make sense to me then, which is probably how I ended up here.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I'm in a heavy SJ environment, and nobody's interested. Just too abstract. My wife was the one who got into temperament theory in the first place (the Galenic APS version), as part of her psychology career path, and thus introduced me to it, and tested several friends and family, and she will reference it with them occasionally.
    But I'm the one who took off with it, and when I start explaining things through the archetypes, she says I've made a religion out of it.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

I have worked at the same company for about six years. I learned about MBTI about five years before that in grad school, where ENTP-3 and I were best friends and used it to understand all of the other grad students, including our odd INTJ friends....("Ah, they aren't mean, just INTJs...")

Once I went to work, I found ENTP-4 and we have spent six years obsessing over MBTI. At first, when still little lab rats, we made everyone in our building take the tests and sorted and split them up according to type. The rest of the building thought it was entertaining and said we were talking about the "letters" again. It actually seemed to help the INTPs we worked with quite a bit. One of them said he felt like he had been born as an alien on this planet, so understanding what INTP was, made him feel a lot better about himself. An ISTJ said something very similar. The two INFJs said it was like astrology and just laughed the whole thing off. We had guessed at everyone's spouses type as well. I'd say we racked up hundreds of hours at lunch and before work and during work chatting back and forth about MBTI.

Last year I brought ENTP-4 the jungian functions after learning about them here. We have fought more violently over the Fi/Fe and Ti/Te issues that any arguments I have seen here-to the point of screaming and cutting insults, as can see now how those diffs permeate into poor decisions and communication issues in our lives and in our company. Understanding others should make you more accepting right? Except that the more you understand, the more your own internal projections have to be erased and the more accountable you have to be for recognizing you will never see the world they way the other person does.

We also mapped out patterns across departments. In meetings we talk in terms of "Te" and "Fe" to the point that people think we have evolved a code language. The latest project is communication. We are observing and bantering back and forth about the types of words and tone of voice different types/individuals will have. She told me my meeting minutes were the only ones worth reading as I transcribe what people say over the course of meeting, and then map that back to where confusion or resentment begins.

We appear to be obsessed but to be honest our jobs are dull, so it is like bubblegum for the Ne brain.

ReflecTcelfeR

Everyone I introduce it to thinks it's boring, or it 'boxes them in'. Only one person I know doesn't seem to mind when I bring it up, but besides him I don't bother talking about it, because no one truly wishes to listen. My dad is interested in it, I think. My mom listens to it, but I can't tell if she likes me learning it. I don't know. I hardly ever bring it up.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    I have worked at the same company for about six years. I learned about MBTI about five years before that in grad school, where ENTP-3 and I were best friends and used it to understand all of the other grad students, including our odd INTJ friends....("Ah, they aren't mean, just INTJs...")

Once I went to work, I found ENTP-4 and we have spent six years obsessing over MBTI. At first, when still little lab rats, we made everyone in our building take the tests and sorted and split them up according to type. The rest of the building thought it was entertaining and said we were talking about the "letters" again. It actually seemed to help the INTPs we worked with quite a bit. One of them said he felt like he had been born as an alien on this planet, so understanding what INTP was, made him feel a lot better about himself. An ISTJ said something very similar. The two INFJs said it was like astrology and just laughed the whole thing off. We had guessed at everyone's spouses type as well. I'd say we racked up hundreds of hours at lunch and before work and during work chatting back and forth about MBTI.

Last year I brought ENTP-4 the jungian functions after learning about them here. We have fought more violently over the Fi/Fe and Ti/Te issues that any arguments I have seen here-to the point of screaming and cutting insults, as can see now how those diffs permeate into poor decisions and communication issues in our lives and in our company. Understanding others should make you more accepting right? Except that the more you understand, the more your own internal projections have to be erased and the more accountable you have to be for recognizing you will never see the world they way the other person does.

We also mapped out patterns across departments. In meetings we talk in terms of "Te" and "Fe" to the point that people think we have evolved a code language. The latest project is communication. We are observing and bantering back and forth about the types of words and tone of voice different types/individuals will have. She told me my meeting minutes were the only ones worth reading as I transcribe what people say over the course of meeting, and then map that back to where confusion or resentment begins.

We appear to be obsessed but to be honest our jobs are dull, so it is like bubblegum for the Ne brain.
    Wait, so people in your work environment tolerate you talking about MBTI openly in meetings and such? haha ...and they let you test everyone? Were you hired directly into being CEO? haha. Im seriously curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    I'm in a heavy SJ environment, and nobody's interested. Just too abstract. My wife was the one who got into temperament theory in the first place (the Galenic APS version), as part of her psychology career path, and thus introduced me to it, and tested several friends and family, and she will reference it with them occasionally.
    But I'm the one who took off with it, and when I start explaining things through the archetypes, she says I've made a religion out of it.
    I feel your pain. As a result of this realization, I began extensive "learning" of everything I can find about five factor models. At least then I can say what I'm talking about/interested in is a system used by top academics in actual research :/ ... Theories of personality description aren't nearly as much fun as theories of personality though. I've come to realize that basically Keirsey "saved" MBTI by turning it into a Big 4 test...though I don't think that was Myers/Jung's original intent. I think the whole of MBTI would be better off it switched to type names like FeNi, TeSi etc...

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Guess I'm no exception as well. I've brought it up constantly around my family members but none of them show any real interest. Worse, they will sometimes give poor excuses to not have to listen to the type theory; like "I know who I am" or "well you just categorizing everyone into groups" nonsense. I'll have them take tests and they won't even review and consider their results, it's damn right disrepectful and bothersome. I'm still considering whether or not I should ask some of my MTG aquaintences about MBTI, but I'm not really all that sure.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't really.. have any real life friends But when I did I never talked to them about it. A few family members that I'm close to seem really interested in it though!