• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I am a bad extrovert.

psyche

You might be assuming that social extroversion and cognitive extraversion are the same thing. For comparison, many intraverts can be simultaneously cognitively intraverted and very chatty towards their family and close friends (See IxFJs) displaying social extroversion in that particular scenario. There are oodles of examples of people posting about this issue if you want me to dig some up let me know.

This is a very interesting concept. Can you elaborate, or suggest somewhere I can get more information?

I am an extravert, but am easily drained by many, if not most, types of social interactions. It feels very paradoxical to me, to be extraverted and socially drained as easily as I am. But I tend to think "out loud" and have many extraverted qualities. Thanks.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You should have shown standard deviations here, that would have been hell-o cool.

Query: Are you sure it isn't a log normal distribution; normally this is what you get when you compound a few normal distributions.

oh you know, they are shown, actually! those little notches in the bottom are -1/1 and where the ASD/ADD cut-offs are -2/2. admittedly, i stole the picture from the internets and just edited it in paint.

answer to query: not sure. admittedly i am not very advanced in statistics... if you would like to play around with the math, be my guest :D

i guess part of the problem with the whole thing, as much of a theory junkie as i am, is that we don't have a great defining point between extraversion and introversion besides our myers-briggs types. but even then, how do you know if a person didn't accidentally type themself wrong? i guess what i'm saying is that it'd be tricky to get actual numbers to back up this idea.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
This is a very interesting concept. Can you elaborate, or suggest somewhere I can get more information?

I am an extravert, but am easily drained by many, if not most, types of social interactions. It feels very paradoxical to me, to be extraverted and socially drained as easily as I am. But I tend to think "out loud" and have many extraverted qualities. Thanks.

Bon Appetite http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/extraversion-or-introversion.asp

The Myers Briggs Foundation said:
Extraversion and Introversion as terms used by C. G. Jung explain different attitudes people use to direct their energy. These words have a meaning in psychology that is different from the way they are used in everyday language.

Everyone spends some time extraverting and some time introverting. Don’t confuse Introversion with shyness or reclusiveness. They are not related.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
246v341.png

low <----------------------------------- average -----------------------------------> high

just a thought. :shrug:

But what if we have an Autism spectrum disorder AND ADHD, as I most likely do?

Anyway, on a side note, is there a SINGLE ENFP here who is extroverted extroverted? It seems every response says they are introverted extroverts!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ lol, i dunno. i thought about that possibility too, when i was making it. i do i see it as a probability chart more than anything... like, if you're an introvert, you're more likely to need a lower level of stimulation, but not necessarily. i mean, maybe it would make sense that you just fall in the normal range of stimulation. or, perhaps, you need high levels of certain kinds of stimulation and low levels of others. what do you think is your stimulation need as compared to other people? and out of curiosity, where do you think you'd fall on the chart?

i also left out the whole issue of task demand. most people need a higher level of additional stimulation on easy or repetitive or familiar tasks, and a lower level on hard or varying or new tasks. but theoretically someone could be the opposite, and need lower levels of additional stimulation for easy tasks and higher ones for hard ones.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
But what if we have an Autism spectrum disorder AND ADHD, as I most likely do?

Anyway, on a side note, is there a SINGLE ENFP here who is extroverted extroverted? It seems every response says they are introverted extroverts!

Remember that whenever an ENFP is posting here, he/she isn't out there being extroverted. So, the ones that tend to stick around, probably are ok with a less classical extraverted life.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
but....are we here being extraverted??

and...out of the enfps i know none really strike me as very extraverted...only when compared to say...an infp.

duck!

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I've known VERY extroverted ENFPs. (I guess that would be the consequence of seriously high Ne and low Fi.) I have one very popular cousin who is like that, and, much to his mother's chagrin, he's very gifted with the ladies. I don't think I've ever seen him without something to do for more than a few minutes. But he's got more than enough friends and people in his life. He flits from one household to the other from the time he wakes up til the time he goes to bed.

What happens sometimes is that a high Ne makes it difficult for me to express my thoughts in a way that others accept or understand. I am always desirous of being understood (Fi) so I try to avoid conversations where my wackiness becomes a liability/turn-off factor.

For those of us who manage to minimize the those effects, ENFPs can be some of the most wacky high-flying, brilliant helium-y wackadoos out there.

KDude

What's so wacky about Ne anyways? Been trying to figure that out. It doesn't have any basis in cognitive definitions, nor do Ne dom "type descriptions" talk about it. I've been led to assume Ne is more about seeing the interplay between multiple views/experiences... drawing up possibilities from across the board. Maybe someone with a holistic approach in their values or ideas. Maybe some could be wacky, but it's probably not even type related.

Flitting around like your popular cousin is a sign of him being more extroverted though, but you shouldn't worry about that either. People like him take a little longer to settle in introverted functions (in his case Fi).. in turn, that can lead some extroverted percievers to get in trouble with highly impulsive/percieving oriented living.. so you both have something the other doesn't have.

duck!

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
What's so wacky about Ne anyways? Been trying to figure that out. It doesn't have any basis in cognitive definitions, nor do Ne dom "type descriptions" talk about it. I've been led to assume Ne is more about seeing the interplay between multiple views/experiences... drawing up possibilities from across the board. Maybe someone with a holistic approach in their values or ideas. Maybe some could be wacky, but it's probably not even type related.

I could be wrong -- but I always thought of Ne (again, my personal experience) -- as being able to see a whole bunch of possibilities at once. Many of the Ne-dom type descriptions discuss the torrential outpouring of ideas. I've found that this leads to several real-life implications:

1) I can't prioritize, so having a conversation with me is like talking to a random topic generator. I can talk about nothing at all or about everything, and its relevance to others around me (at times) is subordinate to the fact that I can't seem to shut up about my observations.

2) Many of the connections that I make aren't even linear. I can't say X leads to Y leads to Z. X can lead to A prime, squirrels and this stupid bedspread that's giving my skin some serious agita.

3) Because of my tendency to process things out loud, I find that my whole physical being is a conduit for my possibilities/ideas. Sometimes, this leads me to overexcitement, paranoia, and long binges of useless research on (irrelevant) topics.

I'm not sure how I can extrapolate these ridiculous points and say that this is true for all ENFPs or even Ne-doms (though according to type descriptions, ENTPs are more likely to be logical about their arguments/connections). But this is how I've observed Ne-dom wackiness. Se-dom, Te-dom and Fe-dom wackinesses are also great big parts of my life, so I'm not going to claim that Ne has any monopoly on the craziness. It doesn't. But my behavior certainly makes for some socially unacceptable craziness at times.

KDude

I could be wrong -- but I always thought of Ne (again, my personal experience) -- as being able to see a whole bunch of possibilities at once. Many of the Ne-dom type descriptions discuss the torrential outpouring of ideas. I've found that this leads to several real-life implications:

1) I can't prioritize, so having a conversation with me is like talking to a random topic generator. I can talk about nothing at all or about everything, and its relevance to others around me (at times) is subordinate to the fact that I can't seem to shut up about my observations.

2) Many of the connections that I make aren't even linear. I can't say X leads to Y leads to Z. X can lead to A prime, squirrels and this stupid bedspread that's giving my skin some serious agita.

3) Because of my tendency to process things out loud, I find that my whole physical being is a conduit for my possibilities/ideas. Sometimes, this leads me to overexcitement, paranoia, and long binges of useless research on (irrelevant) topics.

I'm not sure how I can extrapolate these ridiculous points and say that this is true for all ENFPs or even Ne-doms (though according to type descriptions, ENTPs are more likely to be logical about their arguments/connections). But this is how I've observed Ne-dom wackiness. Se-dom, Te-dom and Fe-dom wackinesses are also great big parts of my life, so I'm not going to claim that Ne has any monopoly on the craziness. It doesn't. But my behavior certainly makes for some socially unacceptable craziness at times.

You sound fine to me..

I mean, you just did present yourself fairly clearly :D

Of course, this is online. I can understand how it'd be different in real life conversation.. but either way, you shouldn't worry about it being socially unacceptable. Being wacky is good. And as long as you're not hurting anyone, it's not socially unacceptable. You won't win everyone over, but try not to make a big deal of it when it doesn't happen (in some cases, I know that isn't easy, but you have to cut your losses sometimes). If you keep in mind you're not socially unacceptable in general, you'll be better for it.. and eventually find yourself more free on how you want to be (especially in terms of extroversion).