User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    You might be assuming that social extroversion and cognitive extraversion are the same thing. For comparison, many intraverts can be simultaneously cognitively intraverted and very chatty towards their family and close friends (See IxFJs) displaying social extroversion in that particular scenario. There are oodles of examples of people posting about this issue if you want me to dig some up let me know.
    This is a very interesting concept. Can you elaborate, or suggest somewhere I can get more information?

I am an extravert, but am easily drained by many, if not most, types of social interactions. It feels very paradoxical to me, to be extraverted and socially drained as easily as I am. But I tend to think "out loud" and have many extraverted qualities. Thanks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    You should have shown standard deviations here, that would have been hell-o cool.

Query: Are you sure it isn't a log normal distribution; normally this is what you get when you compound a few normal distributions.
    oh you know, they are shown, actually! those little notches in the bottom are -1/1 and where the ASD/ADD cut-offs are -2/2. admittedly, i stole the picture from the internets and just edited it in paint.

answer to query: not sure. admittedly i am not very advanced in statistics... if you would like to play around with the math, be my guest

i guess part of the problem with the whole thing, as much of a theory junkie as i am, is that we don't have a great defining point between extraversion and introversion besides our myers-briggs types. but even then, how do you know if a person didn't accidentally type themself wrong? i guess what i'm saying is that it'd be tricky to get actual numbers to back up this idea.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by psyche View Post
    This is a very interesting concept. Can you elaborate, or suggest somewhere I can get more information?

I am an extravert, but am easily drained by many, if not most, types of social interactions. It feels very paradoxical to me, to be extraverted and socially drained as easily as I am. But I tend to think "out loud" and have many extraverted qualities. Thanks.
    Bon Appetite http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-p...troversion.asp

Quote Originally Posted by The Myers Briggs Foundation
    Extraversion and Introversion as terms used by C. G. Jung explain different attitudes people use to direct their energy. These words have a meaning in psychology that is different from the way they are used in everyday language.

Everyone spends some time extraverting and some time introverting. Don’t confuse Introversion with shyness or reclusiveness. They are not related.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

low <----------------------------------- average -----------------------------------> high

just a thought.
    But what if we have an Autism spectrum disorder AND ADHD, as I most likely do?

Anyway, on a side note, is there a SINGLE ENFP here who is extroverted extroverted? It seems every response says they are introverted extroverts!
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ lol, i dunno. i thought about that possibility too, when i was making it. i do i see it as a probability chart more than anything... like, if you're an introvert, you're more likely to need a lower level of stimulation, but not necessarily. i mean, maybe it would make sense that you just fall in the normal range of stimulation. or, perhaps, you need high levels of certain kinds of stimulation and low levels of others. what do you think is your stimulation need as compared to other people? and out of curiosity, where do you think you'd fall on the chart?

i also left out the whole issue of task demand. most people need a higher level of additional stimulation on easy or repetitive or familiar tasks, and a lower level on hard or varying or new tasks. but theoretically someone could be the opposite, and need lower levels of additional stimulation for easy tasks and higher ones for hard ones.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    But what if we have an Autism spectrum disorder AND ADHD, as I most likely do?

Anyway, on a side note, is there a SINGLE ENFP here who is extroverted extroverted? It seems every response says they are introverted extroverts!
    Remember that whenever an ENFP is posting here, he/she isn't out there being extroverted. So, the ones that tend to stick around, probably are ok with a less classical extraverted life.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

but....are we here being extraverted??

and...out of the enfps i know none really strike me as very extraverted...only when compared to say...an infp.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Socionics
    ENFP

I've known VERY extroverted ENFPs. (I guess that would be the consequence of seriously high Ne and low Fi.) I have one very popular cousin who is like that, and, much to his mother's chagrin, he's very gifted with the ladies. I don't think I've ever seen him without something to do for more than a few minutes. But he's got more than enough friends and people in his life. He flits from one household to the other from the time he wakes up til the time he goes to bed.

What happens sometimes is that a high Ne makes it difficult for me to express my thoughts in a way that others accept or understand. I am always desirous of being understood (Fi) so I try to avoid conversations where my wackiness becomes a liability/turn-off factor.

For those of us who manage to minimize the those effects, ENFPs can be some of the most wacky high-flying, brilliant helium-y wackadoos out there.

What's so wacky about Ne anyways? Been trying to figure that out. It doesn't have any basis in cognitive definitions, nor do Ne dom "type descriptions" talk about it. I've been led to assume Ne is more about seeing the interplay between multiple views/experiences... drawing up possibilities from across the board. Maybe someone with a holistic approach in their values or ideas. Maybe some could be wacky, but it's probably not even type related.

Flitting around like your popular cousin is a sign of him being more extroverted though, but you shouldn't worry about that either. People like him take a little longer to settle in introverted functions (in his case Fi).. in turn, that can lead some extroverted percievers to get in trouble with highly impulsive/percieving oriented living.. so you both have something the other doesn't have.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Socionics
    ENFP

What's so wacky about Ne anyways? Been trying to figure that out. It doesn't have any basis in cognitive definitions, nor do Ne dom "type descriptions" talk about it. I've been led to assume Ne is more about seeing the interplay between multiple views/experiences... drawing up possibilities from across the board. Maybe someone with a holistic approach in their values or ideas. Maybe some could be wacky, but it's probably not even type related.
    I could be wrong -- but I always thought of Ne (again, my personal experience) -- as being able to see a whole bunch of possibilities at once. Many of the Ne-dom type descriptions discuss the torrential outpouring of ideas. I've found that this leads to several real-life implications:

1) I can't prioritize, so having a conversation with me is like talking to a random topic generator. I can talk about nothing at all or about everything, and its relevance to others around me (at times) is subordinate to the fact that I can't seem to shut up about my observations.

2) Many of the connections that I make aren't even linear. I can't say X leads to Y leads to Z. X can lead to A prime, squirrels and this stupid bedspread that's giving my skin some serious agita.

3) Because of my tendency to process things out loud, I find that my whole physical being is a conduit for my possibilities/ideas. Sometimes, this leads me to overexcitement, paranoia, and long binges of useless research on (irrelevant) topics.

I'm not sure how I can extrapolate these ridiculous points and say that this is true for all ENFPs or even Ne-doms (though according to type descriptions, ENTPs are more likely to be logical about their arguments/connections). But this is how I've observed Ne-dom wackiness. Se-dom, Te-dom and Fe-dom wackinesses are also great big parts of my life, so I'm not going to claim that Ne has any monopoly on the craziness. It doesn't. But my behavior certainly makes for some socially unacceptable craziness at times.