User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

EN types, especially ENPs, tend to gravitate more towards cerebral external stimulus than the sensory stimulus an ESP would seek. Similarly, ISPs, for the same reason, tend to have more extraverted qualities than INP. In my limited experience, most NPs that can't decide if they are E or I are probably extraverted, but understand extraversion as having to love being around tons of people all the time and partying non stop. Extraversion is also commonly channeled into things, events, hobbies, not just people. It's about thought being orientated and stimulated by outside sources and supplemented by internal rather than vice versa n

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

OHAI

I'm the same way. For this reason I contemplated INFx types and even ISFP.

I like to say, sit in Starbucks AROUND people, but not necessarily be talking to anybody. I might spend all day some days in my room, but I have to be chatting with people ...and I mean CHATTING IN REAL TIME, like they are responding within a reasonable period of time...or I get depressed and lonely. I was working in a studio for two days and was cut off from vent and AIM while I was there, and felt what I've heard referred to as "techno despair"...that is, the feeling that some people get if they're alone with a computer and lack human interaction or contact with nature. It's a horrible, sick feeling.

I like solitude, but when I'm in a good mood I will talk to complete strangers, say, about their dog. I do approach people. I'm very expressive, and if I'm alone doing absolutely nothing, and I'm not out getting external stimulation, I experience the horrible fidgity lonely feeling.

But yeah I've questioned my extroversion because I need quiet to think, I enjoy solitude, and I wish sometimes that certain people would shut the hell up...and usually those people are very extroverted ESxx types.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Shyness is something you can come over tough, so you can work on it :P
    I'm an extrovert and everyone thinks I'm an introvert too lol.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

tell me about it

I'm an ESTP who blushes when people look at me, is softspoken and I tend to panic when in crowds... I compulsively collect information from outside of myself and crave sensory stimulations though... I'm a Se dom, and therefore an extrovert, despite my non-typical extrovert tendancies
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I panic in crowds, too...
    but, other than in crowds, I am OK in social situations. I am talkative and energetic and no one guesses that I am actually an introvert.
    And, yes, social situations are fun. I love to be around people.
    But I do crave sensory stimulation and I constantly collect information from outside of myself. I just need to re-energize from social situations on my own... by taking a walk... by being in nature... So maybe I'm a bad introvert???

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    tell me about it

I'm an ESTP who blushes when people look at me, is softspoken and I tend to panic when in crowds... I compulsively collect information from outside of myself and crave sensory stimulations though... I'm a Se dom, and therefore an extrovert, despite my non-typical extrovert tendancies
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I like to say, sit in Starbucks AROUND people, but not necessarily be talking to anybody. I might spend all day some days in my room, but I have to be chatting with people ...and I mean CHATTING IN REAL TIME, like they are responding within a reasonable period of time...or I get depressed and lonely. I was working in a studio for two days and was cut off from vent and AIM while I was there, and felt what I've heard referred to as "techno despair"...that is, the feeling that some people get if they're alone with a computer and lack human interaction or contact with nature. It's a horrible, sick feeling.

I like solitude, but when I'm in a good mood I will talk to complete strangers, say, about their dog. I do approach people. I'm very expressive, and if I'm alone doing absolutely nothing, and I'm not out getting external stimulation, I experience the horrible fidgity lonely feeling.
    That is exactly how I feel when I work. Sometimes I will seek people out to talk to them, but that's rare as I am afraid of being rejected. That's when I get that fidgety lonely feeling.

Moiety's advice on seeking out other people, even if I'm initially reluctant or anxious, is really sound. Today I had an excellent dinner with old friends and felt peaceful and relaxed. Tomorrow I'll be back at work again in the library on my own, and I'm going to do what I can to seek out company.

Thank you all for your responses. You've been a great help.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i feel this way too. i get fidgety after a while without interaction or stimulation. i also have stimulation withdrawal if i've been around intense stimulation and all of a sudden it's over and gone. i get all weird and unpleasant feeling, almost like the weird feeling right before you cry. but, i am not super socially extroverted. i don't really like starting conversations, even though i enjoy engaging in them. it's gotten much better as my self-confidence has strengthened, but i don't think i'll ever be super extroverted.

that article wasn't terribly unfamiliar sounding, however,
    But S. is convinced he's happy. I know, because he often talks about how pleased he is with life, making me wonder who he is trying to convince.
    maybe he is happy. why does enjoying high levels of social stimulation make him a faker? there's enough people in this world that you can satisfy that desire pretty darn well. i suppose the point is, he's unhappy when he's not very stimulated. but if he manages to get high levels of stimulation in often, there's no reason he couldn't be a happy person. i do understand that the author is getting at underlying existential contentment, but we all have our self-doubts.

incidentally, i helped author a psychology paper on stimulation once... part of the group hypothesis was the idea that some people need much higher levels of stimulation than others to hit optimal cognitive performance. people with ADHD tend to do better with a lot of stimulation, while people on the autism spectrum tend to to better with low levels of stimulation. and it just occurred to me, that maybe introverts tend to be on the lower end of the gradient and extraverts tend to be on the higher end. like this:

low <----------------------------------- average -----------------------------------> high

just a thought.

Is it because, for a social creature, loneliness is like death, and death is what we fear most of all?
    ...no? i mean, death is scary, but i don't not like being alone for long periods of time because it's like death. i just like interacting with other people. it made for a nice journalistic wrap-up, though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    You should have shown standard deviations here, that would have been hell-o cool.

Query: Are you sure it isn't a log normal distribution; normally this is what you get when you compound a few normal distributions.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

low <----------------------------------- average -----------------------------------> high
    That explains why I always score high on MBTI extraversion. It's my ADD!
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Sometimes I *think* I need outside stimulation (in an antsy kind of way), but it seems like the internal perspective/connection still overrides it, and I realize I didn't have to go outside like I thought. I might think a party might be interesting, for example, but when I get there I realize it has nothing to offer, so I might slip away early, instead of enjoying it for what it is or seeing potential. And as I'm leaving, I might be more energetic on the thought of something I could do back home (or maybe just going to a closer friend's house).

Point being though, my own perspective constantly overrides the need for outside stimulation and determines whether I enjoy myself. So I call myself an introvert. Any typical definitions of introverts barely apply to me though. I'm not super talktative or outgoing, but I don't mind speaking up a bit, sharing my point of view, introducing myself, don't mind working on teams, or conflicting a little. I'm shy and self-absorbed, but not that much. On top of that, I don't think I'm that unusual.. seems like a lot of people fall somewhere in the middle, slightly swinging towards E or I, and not in the extreme. It makes me wonder what the basis is in all of these MBTI descriptions, where the introverted Fi doms play the meek wallflower role, and Se doms are all reenacting scenes from Animal House. It's complete bullshit. Most people aren't either of those.