User Tag List

123 Last

Default Types written under avatars

I'm curious to see how much it progresses (or limits) communication between types. If I could ask three Qs:

1) How much do you think it's conducive to effective communication?
    2) How much do you think it contributes to "typism" and further miscommunication?
    3) How do you instinctively respond to it?

MBTI
    INFP

I think it contributes to outgrouping and posturing, prejudice and judgmentalism.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'll admit that I always look at it, and sometimes take it into account, but only insomuch as in the way I craft my message. For instance, I won't necessarily communicate in exactly the same manner to an NF that I would to an SP. I don't use it to judge the opinions of other posters though. Part of the reason I enjoy posting here is the fact that the different types lend varied experiences and points of view to any given topic. I find these variations to be fascinating.
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good

Type display is informational. Application of information is user defined. Some will use it to help understand the perspective of other members and some will use it as a weapon whether aggressively or passive-aggressively.

MBTI
    TRUE

If the topic happens to be an MBTI type discussion I think it helps in understanding some of the stated viewpoints, but not all. In other threads I don't have any reason to check the type of each poster, so it has no effect. I know there's information available to the left of each post, but aside from the avatar, which is sometimes difficult to ignore, I'm too busy scanning the post to notice the left hand details.
    “Naked to unknown forces, fortune evades mere understanding. The trial of effort.
    The dream of change. Such a place might Hell be to thought and action.”
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

1) How much do you think it's conducive to effective communication?
    It can be helpful to know someone's type to know what communication styles might work the best for them.

2) How much do you think it contributes to "typism" and further miscommunication?

On the other hand, each type has its own negative stereotypes associated with it which can lead to potential miscommunication. There is a wide variation within people of the same type and how do you know for sure the person's self-typing is even correct.

3) How do you instinctively respond to it?

I'm curious to know other people's types so I like it when its posted.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

It helps one understand people of different types better. By participating and showing ones type they contribute to this experiment. By not disclosing type or misrepresenting type it does not assist in the process of understanding MBTI types.

I don't come here to listen to amatures opinions as to MBTI (why when I could easily look up an expert). What I do appreciate is seeing the different MBTI types disclosing their type and acting naturally.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

It's very important business.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

I'm almost at the point where I think the whole thing's a farce. Barring complete giberrish, there isn't much Ni/Fi/Ti/Se/Ne/Si/Fe/Te can say that I won't understand. And I appreciate people giving me that credit in return.

If we were to get into specifics... like specialized or professional knowledge where some types might be better at, then yeah, there will be communication barriers. Other than that, people should communicate with each other as individuals, giving each other the benefit of the doubt, and not projecting that the other person is totally alien or out in left field or some shit, and unable to understand.

ReflecTcelfeR

I think you always have to keep in mind that typology, in general, doesn't necessarily describe the 'who' of someone, but the 'how'.