User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by psyche View Post
    I haven't read all responses so my apologies if this is redundant.

I wish people would list their types because so often they reply to a thread that asks about how different types experience something, and they say, for instance, "I always do X...." but I have no idea what type they are so their response isn't helpful.
    Thank God that someone said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    1) How much do you think it's conducive to effective communication?
    Take it or leave it. One of the primary reasons that I come to this forum is to study people’s posts and to put together a pattern in regard to type behavior. So for this forum, very, since it’s largely what differentiates it from every other forum.

Other than that, type does influence how I curb my communication. For example, I generally try to be a bit less blunt during a debate with an NF than I will with an NT, who I assume would enjoy the diatribe.

2) How much do you think it contributes to "typism" and further miscommunication?
    For most people it definitely does contribute to typism, though it has become somewhat better as of late. As one ESTJ put it, however, intuitive types may be gradually becoming seen more in a multidimensional light, but sensors are still often regarded as “2-D caricatures”.

3) How do you instinctively respond to it?
    I generally post a one page rant, criticizing the opinion of everyone who contributed to the typism in the thread.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I like to annoy people by occasionally saying something smart when I have a supposedly "stupid" type under my avatar
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I like seeing people's types. I think it can break down stereotypes when you see posters of a certain type expressing outside of what's expected for their type. Concerning posters who do not list a type, I do find that it's not very hard to make a decent guess at it over time and then you have their type in your head anyway when you read their posts.
    Exactly. Personality theories are all about judgements, assumptions, and "typism". Showing your type helps me BREAK stereotypes I have, not contribute to them.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I like seeing people's types. I think it can break down stereotypes when you see posters of a certain type expressing outside of what's expected for their type. Concerning posters who do not list a type, I do find that it's not very hard to make a decent guess at it over time and then you have their type in your head anyway when you read their posts.

The only time I don't like the types being listed is when it makes people disregard someone's opinion (which I see happen to Fs & Ss), or assume their viewpoint or the tone of their post based on their type.
    I think it can break down stereotypes when you see posters of a certain type expressing outside of what's expected for their type.
    I have also seen this backfire. Where people will say stuff like.. "well that isn't very Fi of you, no way you're an INFP" etc etc..

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    I have also seen this backfire. Where people will say stuff like.. "well that isn't very Fi of you, no way you're an INFP" etc etc..
    Hm....comments like that don't affect me. I haven't gotten too many of them though, except for "T-ish" when I first arrived here, which just made me laugh & say I am a "mean" INFP :P.
    I suppose if you're basing your type on other people's impressions of you or are easily swayed, then it might be annoying. It seems it's not the real problem though....
    Besides, the "typeless" get accused being or not being a certain type based on how people perceive them anyway.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    That's because what is Fi and what isn't (or any other function for that matter) isn't up for subjective analysis. There is a definition of what a type consists of, and you either fit it or you don't. So, so long as the argument meets MBTI canon, it's valid.

There is room for refinement, outside of the confines of how types are defined, but the definition needs to be kept to. And I do agree most stereotypes are retarded -- 90% of human behavior isn't MBTI type related (which itself actually makes me seriously question the usefulness of MBTI to begin with -- Socionics is better in that regard. I like my boxes. ).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by whatever
    I like to annoy people by occasionally saying something smart when I have a supposedly "stupid" type under my avatar
    hah. fuck anyone who thinks that. they're the stupid ones if they carry that kind of unfounded crap prejudice.

i especially like people who go around telling me i talk too much because i'm an extravert. it's so obvious they have no idea what they're talking about.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Yes it can and does lead to prejudice but how is this any different to face to face interaction? People are always making assumptions about others and mentally ascribing certain characteristics to them whether they are based in truth or not. Anything can be twisted into a prejudice; knowing one another's type is not necessary for this.

I don't see that displaying a small insight to everyone's personalities as something that inevitably leads to prejudice. MBTI as a whole provides us with information that we can either use as a weapon to judge and hurt others with, or it can be used to ease communication between differing types. If people choose to use this information for negative stereotyping, it is through no fault of the MBTI. Same goes for the type display.

Like others have said, I use it as a tip on how I should frame my words. I communicate differently to another INFP than I would to a ENTP, for example. I acknowledge there are differences between us in how we think, so I want to use language that will speak to them; that will assist in getting my point across more clearly and effectively. I do the same when I read others' posts: I use their type to assist in interpreting what they have written (lets face it, written text lacks the tone you get from speech, which inhibits accurate interpretation). I feel that this can reduce conflict and misunderstandings if it is done correctly.

Same goes for smilies. For example, these don't tend to work as well on NTs:

INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Sometimes I feel intimidate, if I go to an NT specific topic I sometimes feel like I have to express myself through logical intelligence rather than emotional intelligence. With ST I feel like I want to learn to speak in a stronger grounded intelligence. Though overall knowing types helps me adapt my language to be thoughtful and try to talk more constructively than abstractly sometimes. hahah good luck with that I say, I say it now but when it comes down to it, I just go along my own tune and respond how I want to when I'm upto responding and don't feel out of my depth to respond.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Sometimes I feel intimidate, if I go to an NT specific topic I sometimes feel like I have to express myself through logical intelligence rather than emotional intelligence.
    nothing wrong with having good instincts.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery