• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Free Thinkers: Heart v. Head

MerkW

Irrational number???

Indeed. I love them. I think it is well agreed that e and phi are among the most beautiful. Square roots are great. Pi is essential, but slightly overrated.

Ah.

Time to whip out those Feigenbaum constants.

Roger Mexico

MBTI Type
INTP
If "thought" is defined as abstracting from reality to consider possibilities/probabilities, then the Rational is going to be less bound by the confines of their surroundings.

Emotional or moral judgments are necessarily contingent on material reality--they are by nature reactions to it. As someone else pointed out, "I feel..." is purely subjective and cannot be otherwise. The more one is influenced by an "I feel," the less one will be able to consider all the given ramifications of a given postulate.

"I have observed that..." is less subjective. The core idea being expressed exists independently of anyone considering it, and thus can be allowed to develop and influence related ideas without an "I" imposing subjective restraints on it.

I suppose the issue here is "free of what?", but the idea of logic as some kind of prison, and of "sidestepping" logic as a means of attaining greater insight or creativity, basically gives you the decision-making process of the Bush administration.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Indeed. I love them. I think it is well agreed that e and phi are among the most beautiful. Square roots are great. Pi is essential, but slightly overrated.

Ah.

Time to whip out those Feigenbaum constants.

I'm more of a Planck's constant guy. But to each his own.

I Googled Feigenbaum constants. Let's just say I got a little dizy around the second paragraph of the article. Way over my head however the graph looked pretty.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
If "thought" is defined as abstracting from reality to consider possibilities/probabilities, then the Rational is going to be less bound by the confines of their surroundings.

Emotional or moral judgments are necessarily contingent on material reality--they are by nature reactions to it. As someone else pointed out, "I feel..." is purely subjective and cannot be otherwise. The more one is influenced by an "I feel," the less one will be able to consider all the given ramifications of a given postulate.

"I have observed that..." is less subjective. The core idea being expressed exists independently of anyone considering it, and thus can be allowed to develop and influence related ideas without an "I" imposing subjective restraints on it.

I suppose the issue here is "free of what?", but the idea of logic as some kind of prison, and of "sidestepping" logic as a means of attaining greater insight or creativity, basically gives you the decision-making process of the Bush administration.

Good points but I've lost interest in this thread. I am not even sure why I keep replying.

Well, I am off to enjoy a nice dinner with the fam. Peace:cheers:

MerkW

I see.

No offense, dude, but your posts on this thread make you seem like kind of a dick.

Ah, straightforwardly stated like a true NT! More of such people are needed in these dark and dreary times, where hoards of evil xxFJs attack anyone who frankly states the truth in a less than empathetic manner.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Ah, straightforwardly stated like a true NT! More of such people are needed in these dark and dreary times, where hoards of evil xxFJs attack anyone who frankly states the truth in a less than empathetic manner.

I think I am pretty straightforward. However, straightforward from a less than rational place could appear a bit scattered to some.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I see.

No offense, dude, but your posts on this thread make you seem like kind of a dick.

By the way, don't feel like I dismissed you rwell thought out posting. I really did have to leave. And since I know certain Rationals :dry: will destroy anything less than a well thought out logical posting I figured it would be best to cut and run.

Bushranger

MBTI Type
INTP
Being a realist does not preclude someone from being a freethinker.

My definition of a freethinker: Someone that has an open mind but keeps a discerning bouncer at the entrance to refuse entry to the riffraff. It's a helluva party as long as they don't let gatecrashers ruin the fun. If they forget this then all that will be left in the morning is a burnt out shell and a massive legal bill.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
This thread is pointless, because everyone considers themself to be a freethinker. You might as well have a thread that says "my type is the most intelligent type". (Well actually we have those, and they are pointless too.) ;)

MerkW

This thread is pointless, because everyone considers themself to be a freethinker. You might as well have a thread that says "my type is the most intelligent type". (Well actually we have those, and they are pointless too.) ;)

Really? I am quite interested in such a thread?

Link?

redacted

freethinking, to me, means unbounded use of Ne or Ni. judging functions in general hinder this.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP

Well since I started the thread I should mention that I like the term free thinker as it is more ambigous and thus more open to discussion.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
freethinking, to me, means unbounded use of Ne or Ni. judging functions in general hinder this.

That's kinda what I was stabbing at. It not so much logic or feeling but Intuition which makes a free thinker. Case in point those oh so lovable guardians. Some are brilliant but not great at thinking "outside the box".

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well since I started the thread I should mention that I like the term free thinker as it is more ambigous and thus more open to discussion.

Why not use a word that is not in commonly known use to avoid confusion? Here let me give you a free one: swurn. Now create a definition and then we can debate which type is the most swurn.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Intelligence is simply the ability to learn and understand. For example if you masterd quantum physics on wednesday and then forgot it by thursday morning yet re-mastered it by thursday afternoon you might be considered supremeley intelligent. Granted you might have a piss poor memory, but intelligent nonetheless.