User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    How precisely is it asinine? If anything is asinine here, it is you. It wasn't a google search, by the way. I love how you make entirely erroneous assumptions. You simply started this thread about free-thought. I am not much of a rule person, but if we are to accept each others' conclusions, we must accept a general definition (in this case, taken from the latest American Heritage Dictionary) for there to exist any reason whatsoever, just as in Euclidean geometry there are accepted postulates which are used to build upon.
    Without a generally accepted definition for a debate/discussion, the whole endeavor is logically superfluous. I could define a free-thinker as a semi-nonexistent cheesecake, while someone else could define a free-thinker as a purple elephant. Do you now see why I brought the definition up? Perhaps now you could cease to respond in such an asinine manner? The fact is, you started this thread about free-thinkers arguing that NFs are more like free-thinkers than NTs. I gave you the definition of a free-thinker as a rebuttal.

QED.

Oy vey, stultes mortales.
    Where to begin? Free as in unconstrained. You however started your argument with constraints. Now because you will ask for examples here they are: we must accept a general definition, the latest American Heritage Dictionary, etc.

Limits of any sort restrict the freedom of ones thought, as you have demonstrated here.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Thank you. Now that is a fantastic conclusion.

It took an Idealist to realize that both types can be very free thinkers. Instead of jumping to the, ahem ... logical conclusion.
    From Dana, INFP
    Idealists live life subjectively. Rationals live it objectively. (on a continuum of course) Objectivity implies freedom.
    It took a Rational to point out that selectively pulling quotes wins no arguments except in politics.
    "The subject chooses to sit in shadow and search for wisdom by reflecting upon his trial. The problem is not that he is cold and wet, but that cold and wet seems problematic, so he embraces those hardships in order to best them."

Where to begin? Free as in unconstrained. You however started your argument with constraints. Now because you will ask for examples here they are: we must accept a general definition, the latest American Heritage Dictionary, etc.

Limits of any sort restrict the freedom of ones thought, as you have demonstrated here.
    False. This is all based on my mis-interpretation of what you meant by "free-thinker."
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Priam View Post
    It took a Rational to point out that selectively pulling quotes wins no arguments except in politics.
    Indeed, and guess who rules this world?

MBTI
    INTP

Free thinking, as a concept, is too woolly to be confined in any single definition. Every type has its own breed of free-thinkers, though their methods or intent differ considerably. If I weren't drunk I would elaborate, but I'll try to come back later.
    "The subject chooses to sit in shadow and search for wisdom by reflecting upon his trial. The problem is not that he is cold and wet, but that cold and wet seems problematic, so he embraces those hardships in order to best them."

MBTI
    INTP

Indeed, and guess who rules this world?
    Relevance of what... ? Invoking world authority is not a way to win an "I'm a free thinker!!!!1!1!" contest.

I love the fact that this thread is going in no significant direction whatsoever.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Priam, it is a lot more fun to pick a side during a debate than to sit on the sidelines and poo-poo the entire ordeal.
    Fun? Perhaps, but not always particularly useful. I'm not poo-pooing the concept, but rather the limited paramters we're supposed to be confined in. I believe free-thinking takes more forms than just Rational and Idealist and isn't a zero-sum exercize ("I'm free thinking, so you can't be!")

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Priam, it is a lot more fun to pick a side during a debate than to sit on the sidelines and poo-poo the entire ordeal.
    Whether that was an ironic statement or not it was funny.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Priam View Post
    Fun? Perhaps, but not always particularly useful. I'm not poo-pooing the concept, but rather the limited paramters we're supposed to be confined in. I believe free-thinking takes more forms than just Rational and Idealist and isn't a zero-sum exercize ("I'm free thinking, so you can't be!")
    No, no that is a good thought. Perhaps you are correct? By creating a thread with such a strict dichotomy perhaps I am the one who's thinking is restricted.

Honestly I just wanted to explore possibilities in this thread. However right out of the gate Merk had to go for the coup de' gras. Naturally I resented this as although I always try to keep an open mind to all ideas, even the absurd ones.