User Tag List

First 5131415

Sniffles

I guess I can relate back to the discussion I had concerning the different styles of INFJs and INTJs. INFJs focus more on 'values' while INTJs focus more on 'facts'.

That's probably the best way to discern the main difference between the head and the heart. Both can challenge many established notions and the status quo, but from different angles.

Take UFOs for example: a "Thinker" may critique belief of UFOs based upon actual scientific data and logical improbability. If a "Feeler" were going to do the same thing, it'd probably be more along the lines of Benjamin D. Wiker's critique where he addresses the flawed philosophical assumptions(ie 'values') upon such a belief is based upon.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about:
    "Christians should be equally wary of the idea that God would somehow be a second-rate deity if He allowed human beings to be the only intelligent embodied beings in the universe, since that would mean a lot of wasted space. What frightens us into making such claims is, I believe, the immensity of space itself. But while the vastness of the universe rightly humbles us, its size means nothing to God, an immaterial intelligence. Since He has no size, it is all the same to Him whether He makes the universe as big as a pin or a pin as big as the universe."
    Wiker does appeal to scientific data and improbability to back up his arguments, but his argument is primarily about flawed 'values' that lead some to believe in UFOs rather than flawed 'facts' or data so to speak(you get the idea).

So both the Head and the Heart provide firm basis for "free-thinking". One is not necessarily more "free-thinking" than the other. They just operate on different playing fields.

MBTI
    ENTP

Free thinking which is not confined by standards of rational inquiry is not thinking. Call it free-spiritedness or freewheeling.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    And logic can prevent one from seeing illogical although probable things.
    There is no such thing as an illogical probable (or even possible) thing.
    wails from the crypt.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Free thinking which is not confined by standards of rational inquiry is not thinking. Call it free-spiritedness or freewheeling.
    Well personally I'd rather be a "complete thinker" than a free-thinker. A complete thinker is free to believe or disbelieve in God or even lepurchauns for example.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    There is no such thing as an illogical probable (or even possible) thing.
    I believe it's called sophistry.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well personally I'd rather be a "complete thinker" than a free-thinker. A complete thinker is free to believe or disbelieve in God or even lepurchauns for example.
    I'd venture to say a free thinker is free to believe or disbelieve in God or leprechauns, as long as he doesn't think that his beliefs were reached through sound reasoning.
    I don't wanna!

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I'd venture to say a free thinker is free to believe or disbelieve in God or leprechauns, as long as he doesn't think that his beliefs were reached through sound reasoning.
    But a complete thinker uses both sound reasoning and sound faith and emotions as well; hence why he's a "complete" thinker, he relies on all his faculties - not just one or two at the expense of the others.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    But a complete thinker uses both sound reasoning and sound faith and emotions as well; hence why he's a "complete" thinker, he relies on all his faculties - not just one or two at the expense of the others.
    thank you
    this thread should not have existed
    I N V I C T U S