• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Creativity and extroversion

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0af00UcTO-c&feature=related"]Where good ideas come from[/YOUTUBE]

Can't be a mistake that Ne doms are extroverted :shrug:

KDude

A little too much emphasis on the extroverted side of the equation. Introverted judgement has plenty of domain in the realm of aesthetics, and those "Eureka" moments he's talking about can very well be introverted intuition. That said, experiencing/interacting/etc.. will get the juices flowing for sure. Even a hardcore introvert needs some exposure to other ideas or happenings...or something (it's almost impossible not to anyways, so that goes without saying).

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think that creativity is any more present in extroverts, but it is true that ideas are very much connected to the external world. There has been many occasions where some invention was made in two places at the same time. While these inventors seem to have nothing in common, I would guess that they had the same resources (knowledge) available, there was a bunch of unconnected ideas going around, and then the inventors just put them together to make their inventions. So, the inventor is not as important as it seems. There is the info, and someone is going to make use of it.

Personally I have more ideas when brainstorming, but it seems they are not "new" ideas, it is more like I will take someone else's idea go through it in my mind and give them back another more elaborate option based on the original idea.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think extraverts are any more creative than introverts but they are probably more likely to get recognition for their ideas because they are more likely to put them out there.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
You guys are reading my post too literally. All I mean is that it gives a tangible reason for Ne doms, supposedly the most creative types, to be extroverts, beyond the whole 'your dominant function must match your I/E' thing. It explains the function I guess.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ne doms, supposedly the most creative types

How are Ne doms the most creative type and not Ni? Se can be just as creative as Ne too(I mean ISFP is called the artist).

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Ne doms, supposedly the most creative types" is kinda like saying "Ne doms, supposedly the most mentally-ill types".

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
How is relating Ne doms to creativity and mental illness even close to being the same thing? Ne as a function is very much what creativity is - the ability to see different options, make connections to seemingly unconnected things. In the same sense, I have no problems saying that the most productive/organised types are Te doms or that the types which care the most about social agreeableness are Fe doms. No one is saying that other types don't have these traits, nor is anyone saying that one ISTJ could be more creative than an ENFP. This is a generalization made strictly from function preference. I really don't see what the problem is here.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm a Ne dominant and I have zero creativity in me.

I will say my best ideas come invariably after a prolonged period of socialization and external stimulation. Then I go into seclusion and two days or so afterwards...BAM!

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Creativity has less to do with temperament, and more to do with processing.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I'm a Ne dominant and I have zero creativity in me.

I will say my best ideas come invariably after a prolonged period of socialization and external stimulation. Then I go into seclusion and two days or so afterwards...BAM!

Interesting. How would you describe Ne in action with you?

Affably Evil

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ne as a function is very much what creativity is - the ability to see different options, make connections to seemingly unconnected things.

I think you're conflating creativity with intuition here.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How is relating Ne doms to creativity and mental illness even close to being the same thing?
It's similar because I could make a theoretical argument for why Ne doms are the most mentally ill type, but that doesn't make it a true statement.

It's also similar because like your statement, mine offered no sources or even an argument, it was simply stated as though it were fact, rather than an opinion or a theory.

It's also similar because it's needlessly inflammatory for something with limited (and unexplained) support.
Ne as a function is very much what creativity is - the ability to see different options, make connections to seemingly unconnected things.
Creativity isn't limited to making connections, in my experience.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Interesting. How would you describe Ne in action with you?

Coming up with different scenarios just like everybody else I think.

But being creative is not the same as thinking of all the possibilities. It's thinking of the RIGHT possibility.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
It's similar because I could make a theoretical argument for why Ne doms are the most mentally ill type, but that doesn't make it a true statement.

It's also similar because like your statement, mine offered no sources or even an argument, it was simply stated as though it were fact, rather than an opinion or a theory.

It's also similar because it's needlessly inflammatory for something with limited (and unexplained) support.

Creativity isn't limited to making connections, in my experience.

1. I didn't say anything inflammatory at all. I didn't diss any types, which I hoped to make clear in my last post. Evidently not. I almost think that some postmodernist social intuitions are kicking in here for you to seem to think that I am. Name one inflammatory I've said. No matter if you agree with my Ne = creativity thing or not, I don't see how anything I said is nasty, which you seem to believe given your analogy.

2. This discussion has evidently teased out something I guess I took for granted, but still believe in. I don't understand why creativity has to be seeing 'the right possibility' - what defines 'right'? I think a lot of artists will be in disgust just talking about creativity in such a way. I'm surprised at the rejection of N being directly related to creativity. Surely the very building blocks that build up an N's personality such as being imaginative and original naturally points towards creativity. The type descriptions for N's also have creativity as a common adjective, whereas S's do not. Wow, I like what's going on here, I didn't think that this would become a point of discussion.

KDude

2. This discussion has evidently teased out something I guess I took for granted, but still believe in. I don't understand why creativity has to be seeing 'the right possibility' - what defines 'right'? I think a lot of artists will be in disgust just talking about creativity in such a way.

In MBTI terms, he's saying the same thing I am - where "right" could mean a judging function at work. "Right" is completely relative though. It's whatever seems right to the person being creative. Not necessarily "right" in some definitive sense.

Basically, you're subscribing creativity to a Percieving function (Ne), when aesthetic or "right" choices are the domain of something like Fi or Ti (and others to boot). An ENFP's Ne, for example, doesn't work in a vacuum. Whether they have a strong grasp on Fi or their preference for Ne outweighs it a lot, they are still Fi, and it helps put a focus on their ideas. You need that personal bent, some individualistic expression, or some logical elegance to be creative. And that is what the judging functions do, in a nutshell.

As for Ne, it's just one type of perception. Creativity is such a generic, baseline human behavior that giving more credit to Ne isn't realistic at all. All you have to do is go outside and meet SPs, for example, who'd have a lot to share with you.

Mole

Permabanned
Literacy is now the content of the electronic media. And creativity is a function of literacy. And as literacy has become visible to the electronic eye, so has creativity.

In fact creativity has become visible to everyone. So everyone and their dog wants to be creative.

Our present environment is invisible, as are all environments. When an environment becomes visible, it is no longer an environment. This is because we refuse to open our electronic eye to see what is in front of us.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. I didn't say anything inflammatory at all. I didn't diss any types, which I hoped to make clear in my last post. Evidently not. I almost think that some postmodernist social intuitions are kicking in here for you to seem to think that I am. Name one inflammatory I've said. No matter if you agree with my Ne = creativity thing or not, I don't see how anything I said is nasty, which you seem to believe given your analogy.
The statement is intrinsically inflammatory. Not nasty, inflammatory. It's similar to "Ti doms, supposedly the most intelligent type". How does that make you feel?

2. This discussion has evidently teased out something I guess I took for granted, but still believe in. I don't understand why creativity has to be seeing 'the right possibility' - what defines 'right'? I think a lot of artists will be in disgust just talking about creativity in such a way. I'm surprised at the rejection of N being directly related to creativity. Surely the very building blocks that build up an N's personality such as being imaginative and original naturally points towards creativity. The type descriptions for N's also have creativity as a common adjective, whereas S's do not. Wow, I like what's going on here, I didn't think that this would become a point of discussion.
I know there's a theoretical argument for it, I'm saying that's not looking at the big picture. Btw using biased type descriptions (they are, you know) is not exactly a supporting argument. And most type descriptions I've read do actually have "creative" under SP descriptions, especially ISFP.

How many musicians, artists, writers, actors, chefs, poets are Ne doms? Even N (ok, I'll give you the poets)? I'll give you a hint, they are not even close to the majority. So in real life, is this theory holding up? When the facts don't support the theory, it's time to change the theory.

I'm not arguing that Ne doms would tend to have an advantage at making connections. But this is not required for creativity, nor is it the deciding factor (of course it helps). I don't think creativity is finding the right answer, either - it's defined as "transcending traditional rules to create meaningful new things", which is hardly limited to the domain of Ns. If anything, I would think SP would have an advantage over NJ, if we assume that preference is the same as abillity (it isn't, though there would probably be a correlation).

Jaguar

The type descriptions for N's also have creativity as a common adjective, whereas S's do not.

Using Google, it took me all of 60 seconds to find what you claim doesn't exist.

SP Temperament - The "Creators"
  • They have a tendency toward athletics and anything that involves creating or crafting.
  • ISFPs are artistic, creative, loyal and sensitive. They have a keen appreciation for beauty because of their highly developed senses.
  • Excel in the "fine arts," having not only a natural grace of movement, but also an innate sense what fits and what doesn't fit in artistic compositions..."
  • They have a strong aesthetic appreciation for art, and are likely to be artists in some form, because they are unusually gifted at creating and composing things which will strongly affect the senses.

Furthermore, go to Google and type in: ISFP Creative.