User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 21

  1. #11
    Senior Member animenagai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moiety View Post
    I'm a Ne dominant and I have zero creativity in me.


    I will say my best ideas come invariably after a prolonged period of socialization and external stimulation. Then I go into seclusion and two days or so afterwards...BAM!
    Interesting. How would you describe Ne in action with you?
    Chimera of Filth

    A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

  2. #12
    Member Affably Evil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    Ne as a function is very much what creativity is - the ability to see different options, make connections to seemingly unconnected things.
    I think you're conflating creativity with intuition here.
    5w4 sx/sp

  3. #13
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    How is relating Ne doms to creativity and mental illness even close to being the same thing?
    It's similar because I could make a theoretical argument for why Ne doms are the most mentally ill type, but that doesn't make it a true statement.

    It's also similar because like your statement, mine offered no sources or even an argument, it was simply stated as though it were fact, rather than an opinion or a theory.

    It's also similar because it's needlessly inflammatory for something with limited (and unexplained) support.
    Ne as a function is very much what creativity is - the ability to see different options, make connections to seemingly unconnected things.
    Creativity isn't limited to making connections, in my experience.
    -end of thread-

  4. #14
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    Interesting. How would you describe Ne in action with you?
    Coming up with different scenarios just like everybody else I think.

    But being creative is not the same as thinking of all the possibilities. It's thinking of the RIGHT possibility.

  5. #15
    Senior Member animenagai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    It's similar because I could make a theoretical argument for why Ne doms are the most mentally ill type, but that doesn't make it a true statement.

    It's also similar because like your statement, mine offered no sources or even an argument, it was simply stated as though it were fact, rather than an opinion or a theory.

    It's also similar because it's needlessly inflammatory for something with limited (and unexplained) support.

    Creativity isn't limited to making connections, in my experience.
    1. I didn't say anything inflammatory at all. I didn't diss any types, which I hoped to make clear in my last post. Evidently not. I almost think that some postmodernist social intuitions are kicking in here for you to seem to think that I am. Name one inflammatory I've said. No matter if you agree with my Ne = creativity thing or not, I don't see how anything I said is nasty, which you seem to believe given your analogy.

    2. This discussion has evidently teased out something I guess I took for granted, but still believe in. I don't understand why creativity has to be seeing 'the right possibility' - what defines 'right'? I think a lot of artists will be in disgust just talking about creativity in such a way. I'm surprised at the rejection of N being directly related to creativity. Surely the very building blocks that build up an N's personality such as being imaginative and original naturally points towards creativity. The type descriptions for N's also have creativity as a common adjective, whereas S's do not. Wow, I like what's going on here, I didn't think that this would become a point of discussion.
    Chimera of Filth

    A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

  6. #16
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    2. This discussion has evidently teased out something I guess I took for granted, but still believe in. I don't understand why creativity has to be seeing 'the right possibility' - what defines 'right'? I think a lot of artists will be in disgust just talking about creativity in such a way.
    In MBTI terms, he's saying the same thing I am - where "right" could mean a judging function at work. "Right" is completely relative though. It's whatever seems right to the person being creative. Not necessarily "right" in some definitive sense.

    Basically, you're subscribing creativity to a Percieving function (Ne), when aesthetic or "right" choices are the domain of something like Fi or Ti (and others to boot). An ENFP's Ne, for example, doesn't work in a vacuum. Whether they have a strong grasp on Fi or their preference for Ne outweighs it a lot, they are still Fi, and it helps put a focus on their ideas. You need that personal bent, some individualistic expression, or some logical elegance to be creative. And that is what the judging functions do, in a nutshell.

    As for Ne, it's just one type of perception. Creativity is such a generic, baseline human behavior that giving more credit to Ne isn't realistic at all. All you have to do is go outside and meet SPs, for example, who'd have a lot to share with you.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    Ne as a function is very much what creativity is - the ability to see different options, make connections to seemingly unconnected things.

    Look up the word in the dictionary.

  8. #18
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Literacy is now the content of the electronic media. And creativity is a function of literacy. And as literacy has become visible to the electronic eye, so has creativity.

    In fact creativity has become visible to everyone. So everyone and their dog wants to be creative.

    Our present environment is invisible, as are all environments. When an environment becomes visible, it is no longer an environment. This is because we refuse to open our electronic eye to see what is in front of us.

  9. #19
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    1. I didn't say anything inflammatory at all. I didn't diss any types, which I hoped to make clear in my last post. Evidently not. I almost think that some postmodernist social intuitions are kicking in here for you to seem to think that I am. Name one inflammatory I've said. No matter if you agree with my Ne = creativity thing or not, I don't see how anything I said is nasty, which you seem to believe given your analogy.
    The statement is intrinsically inflammatory. Not nasty, inflammatory. It's similar to "Ti doms, supposedly the most intelligent type". How does that make you feel?

    2. This discussion has evidently teased out something I guess I took for granted, but still believe in. I don't understand why creativity has to be seeing 'the right possibility' - what defines 'right'? I think a lot of artists will be in disgust just talking about creativity in such a way. I'm surprised at the rejection of N being directly related to creativity. Surely the very building blocks that build up an N's personality such as being imaginative and original naturally points towards creativity. The type descriptions for N's also have creativity as a common adjective, whereas S's do not. Wow, I like what's going on here, I didn't think that this would become a point of discussion.
    I know there's a theoretical argument for it, I'm saying that's not looking at the big picture. Btw using biased type descriptions (they are, you know) is not exactly a supporting argument. And most type descriptions I've read do actually have "creative" under SP descriptions, especially ISFP.

    How many musicians, artists, writers, actors, chefs, poets are Ne doms? Even N (ok, I'll give you the poets)? I'll give you a hint, they are not even close to the majority. So in real life, is this theory holding up? When the facts don't support the theory, it's time to change the theory.

    I'm not arguing that Ne doms would tend to have an advantage at making connections. But this is not required for creativity, nor is it the deciding factor (of course it helps). I don't think creativity is finding the right answer, either - it's defined as "transcending traditional rules to create meaningful new things", which is hardly limited to the domain of Ns. If anything, I would think SP would have an advantage over NJ, if we assume that preference is the same as abillity (it isn't, though there would probably be a correlation).
    -end of thread-

  10. #20
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    The type descriptions for N's also have creativity as a common adjective, whereas S's do not.
    Using Google, it took me all of 60 seconds to find what you claim doesn't exist.

    SP Temperament - The "Creators"
    • They have a tendency toward athletics and anything that involves creating or crafting.
    • ISFPs are artistic, creative, loyal and sensitive. They have a keen appreciation for beauty because of their highly developed senses.
    • Excel in the "fine arts," having not only a natural grace of movement, but also an innate sense what fits and what doesn't fit in artistic compositions..."
    • They have a strong aesthetic appreciation for art, and are likely to be artists in some form, because they are unusually gifted at creating and composing things which will strongly affect the senses.



    Furthermore, go to Google and type in: ISFP Creative.

Similar Threads

  1. [ISFP] ISFPs and extroversion
    By warm8 in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-05-2009, 04:51 PM
  2. The REAL differences between introversion and extroversion
    By NewEra in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-15-2009, 06:07 PM
  3. [MBTItm] INTX and extroversion
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 10:13 PM
  4. [Ne] Lack of creativity and mentally tired...
    By TenebrousReflection in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-24-2009, 12:03 AM
  5. Brain Activity Differs For Creative And Noncreative Thinkers (Is this related to S/N)
    By darlets in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-02-2007, 01:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO