Page 1 of 92 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Ni - What the hell is it?

Consulting Detective Array Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Default Ni - What the hell is it?

Of all the functions, this is probably the hardest to understand what it means.

I mean you read a description and it's like "Knowing thins instinctively" and "Experiencing Premonitions" and it's just like WTF? It's hardly an explanation of how a mental function works. Does anyone have a better explanation? I can almost never tell definitively in characters if what they are using is Ne or Ni, since both are abstract idea generators and pattern connectors, supposedly.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
    Likes Kho liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

To put it briefly:
    Ni tries to 'see through the facade'. Analysis of why something happens rather than how it happens. It looks for reason.
    Ne tries to see how things are played out whether it's 'how it happened' or 'how it will happen'. It looks for the connections from one thing to another.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

We have several threads about it, seeing as it's such a strange spider making its webs. Make a search of the NF Idyllic - I know NTJs use it too, but I believe the explanatory threads are there? Perhaps the MBTI discussion section of the forum ( the one we're in ).
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Since the upgrade, there's only been a few pages of results for searches and I think it only gets threads that have been posted in since the upgrade happened.
    JiNe

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Yeah, that's pretty vague. For instance, "knowing something instinctively" isn't exactly limited to Ni users.

There are different ways to cut, define and observe the functions, but here are some of the styles that I prefer*:

- Option # 1
    - Option # 2
    - Option # 3
    - Option # 4 (Ignore the top part, start with the "triggered vs. represented ways of seeing" paragraph.)

*[Take them with a grain of salt; you could easily throw out some of the information (the ones highly influenced by the author's experiences), and it'd still make sense.]
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.
    Likes Chrysanthe liked this post

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

The simple answer is.. It's about seeing more perspectives than your own..The more perspectives you can see, the more you "just know".
    No one presents these other perspectives to you.. You can just see them , feel them and be them.
    Likes Captain_Invincible liked this post

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

To me this is what my Ni looks like:

eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious
    Likes Zero-11 liked this post

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    To put it briefly:
    Ni tries to 'see through the facade'. Analysis of why something happens rather than how it happens. It looks for reason.
    Ne tries to see how things are played out whether it's 'how it happened' or 'how it will happen'. It looks for the connections from one thing to another.
    Hmmm...I think iNtuition in general (whether it's Ni or Ne) wants to know "why." Rather than simply looking for connections from one thing to another, Ne also looks for underlying patterns it what seem to be different or unrelated things/people/situations/concepts. While Ni may have a singular unshakable vision, Ne wants to explore all of the possibilities.

I'm no good at explaining Ni, but I wanted to clarify what Ne is.

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Wow. I'm confused. One person says Ni is about looking at things from different perspectives and another says Ne explores all possibilities while Ni is focused on a singular vision.
    JiNe

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

A lot of people use both, therefore they have a difficult time telling which is which.. They are the same thing just going in different directions. They do the same thing except with a different emphasis ..

Ne is perceiving abstract patterns and connections in response to stimuli (either in the external world or in the mind. ) Ne generates new information starting from something existing. Ne focuses on future possibilities.

Ni is the creation of mental imagery independent of outer stimuli. Ni generates abstract structural images of a given problem domain that a person can view from different points of view at will. Ni focuses on the structure of things from a timeless point of view.
    Likes Aleph, Captain_Invincible liked this post

Page 1 of 92 1231151 ... LastLast