MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    It's only Ji if it's conscious.
    You're over-relying on this unconscious mind theory of yours. It's probably correct, but useless because we don't really know what the hell is going on in our unconscious. It's better to focus on what that unconscious processing looks like to our conscious mind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/in...intuiting.html

If you regularly experience Ni, you'll know it since it sometimes hits like a 2x4. It's an intuitive understanding of any concept, a shifting of perception. Not all the blanks need to be filled in to suddenly have concepts make sense.

Ne from observations of Ne doms and auxs, appears to me to be more linear. It needs to have all the blanks filled in before it understands the concept.
    Thank you.. I am pretty sure that is what I said in the beginning of this thread. That is what my arrow diagrams showed.

I will also agree.. that if you really have to ask what Ni is.. then you don't use it very well.. Its catharsis. It is perspective shifting. You can literally transform reality as you know it. I am in counseling and this is the pitfall of Intuitive feeling. It can warp reality in a bad way. If used correctly the Ni user can envision and transform his/her own future. Simply by perceiving how he/she will needs or wants to be.

It's not magic or voodoo.. It's just hindsight,insight and foresight working in simultaneous conjunction to solve problems that you aren't even aware exist until they form.. That's your Ah Ha!! moment .
    Sometimes those ah ha moments totally miss the mark..

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    if you really have to ask what Ni is.. then you don't use it very well..
    Exactly.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I will also agree.. that if you really have to ask what Ni is.. then you don't use it very well..
    Woah... I actually agree with you on something! Ni is easily the most difficult function to understand without actually experiencing it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    I actually agree with Evan here (halfway, anyway... what you're describing sounds more like Ji rather than Ni). Needing a pre-digested overview or else needing to piece the whole picture together before coming to a conclusion is more like Si + Ne interplay.
    The conclusion IS the whole picture. You see it in whole form at once, not piecing it together. That's why too many details bog me down. My mind fills in the details for me automatically. It's like a few random dots floating out there are all that is needed for me to connect a picture, and it's more of a recognizing than a conscious effort to connect them. Of course, I always see many ways to connect those dots, often simultaneously, so that several pictures seem possible, then I may want details so I can eliminate some of them.

I always thought, according to Jung, that Ji stemmed from the unconscious mind and Pi from the subconscious, but Ji is rational as it reasons (which is a conscious process), where as Pi just "sees", which is rather automatic, as it is awareness in itself (so maybe it's not aware of itself, it just is...?).
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Thank you.. I am pretty sure that is what I said in the beginning of this thread. That is what my arrow diagrams showed.

I will also agree.. that if you really have to ask what Ni is.. then you don't use it very well.. Its catharsis. It is perspective shifting. You can literally transform reality as you know it. I am in counseling and this is the pitfall of Intuitive feeling. It can warp reality in a bad way. If used correctly the Ni user can envision and transform his/her own future. Simply by perceiving how he/she will needs or wants to be.

It's not magic or voodoo.. It's just hindsight,insight and foresight working in simultaneous conjunction to solve problems that you aren't even aware exist until they form.. That's your Ah Ha!! moment .
    Sometimes those ah ha moments totally miss the mark..
    Yes, it works in mysterious ways!

To try to explain how it arrives at those conclusions is almost impossible, at least for me. But when you test it, it works. It's not foolproof though, so it's best to stress test it to ensure for effectiveness and accuracy, when it really matters.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Interesting discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    yes, and yes -- Ne + Fi can = processes very similar to Ni. i have a personal theory that functional combinations can slide into other functions' uses. like a gradient. like engaging Ne + Fi in a certain way can help slide an ENFP close to or even right into engaging Ni, even though Ni isn't a very automatic function for us otherwise.
    I think so too

How about this for a definition then:

Ni responds to, interprets and deciphers ideas
    Ne pursues, explores and generates ideas

or alternatively:

Ni: "The answers are in there. I just have to uncover them"
    Ne: "The answers are out there. I just have to seek them out"

INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    No no, the whole point is that the overview ISN'T needed for Ne. Ne makes connections as soon as it has data, way before total understanding is achieved. Ni, on the other hand, can't even make sense of data unless they've molded it into their internal framework -- and at that point they'll have some really deep connections. Ne makes connections about ALL data. Ni only makes connections that are relevant to the self --- it will ignore all sorts of stuff.
    i think that Ne's eventual goal is to create an overview, though. a huge ToE, if you will. it's always theory-structuring, and each part of the whole should have some of the pattern apparent in it. the more information we have, the better we understand the theory. theoretically, if we had all the information, we would understand everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Ni is really crazy. Very much lightening bolts of realisation. You look at something, turn it around a bit, move a few working parts and kaboom, its use comes out of nowhere and in no particular order.

Individuals with Ne appear to ask a lot more questions to get the fine detail so every cog is in place, has a reason for why it's in place, then the entire concept makes more sense.
    continued info gathering for Ne is not about fine detail as much as it's about refining the theory. it's not like cogs - it's not filling things in that are missing but coherent - it's making sure the big picture isn't incoherent, and adjusting it if it is.

i actually do a fair bit of Ni'ing myself, which i hadn't realized until i started better understanding the function - i get those flash moments occasionally, and they're a HUGE help in making decisions - but in any case, i don't think Ne is incredibly divorced from Ni, just like Fi and Fe share many similarities. Ne and Ni both involve lots of data jumping and fill-in-the-blanks. they both sacrifice detail for the sake of speed and size. we have to remember that they're the same function, just with different attitudes... the same lens, but looking through opposite ends of the microscope...

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Ni: "The answers are in there. I just have to uncover them"
    Ne: "The answers are out there. I just have to seek them out"
    i like this.

though don't only Judging functions technically generate information? i thought Perceiving functions... well... Perceived

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    though don't only Judging functions technically generate information? i thought Perceiving functions... well... Perceived
    I don't think that's QUITE the case, because then, really, wouldn't the only P function be Se, as it simply takes in your surroundings? The P functions can generate ideas and organise information, but J functions make judgements and decisions based on what you have, whether it's from your own mind or the outside world, the past or the present, etc.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Today, someone said: "For next week, you have to read the small/short Russell... text [den kleinen Russell-Text]." Virtually at the same time, I thought of Bertrand Russell's text and conceived in my head the image of a small Jack Russell terrier, ready to be read.

Is that Ni, Ne or something utterly unrelated?
    Likes D'Ascoyne liked this post