User Tag List

First 2262707172737482 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'm an Ni dom, and I hardly understand it. People often refer to it as "images," but that's never how it works for me. It's like a feeling that you need to sit on until it emerges You know the saying "it's on the tip of my tongue"? I have that feeling about a million times a day. Depending on the situation, I either start talking about an idea that pops into my head, and then all of the sudden new idea's flow out of my mouth, and I shock myself with how insightful it is. Other times, I can't even think properly when trying to generate my intuition if people are around me, but once I'm isolated, I realize what it was that I was trying to think/say. Sometimes, an idea is in my head but I don't know how to say it with words.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by morganelise48 View Post
    I'm an Ni dom, and I hardly understand it. People often refer to it as "images," but that's never how it works for me. It's like a feeling that you need to sit on until it emerges You know the saying "it's on the tip of my tongue"? I have that feeling about a million times a day. Depending on the situation, I either start talking about an idea that pops into my head, and then all of the sudden new idea's flow out of my mouth, and I shock myself with how insightful it is. Other times, I can't even think properly when trying to generate my intuition if people are around me, but once I'm isolated, I realize what it was that I was trying to think/say. Sometimes, an idea is in my head but I don't know how to say it with words.
    Definitely yes to the bold. I often think "faster" if I don't "try to think" too hard. If something puzzles me, it usually isn't because the reasoning I'm applying is incorrect, but because I'm "missing a piece of information". Relaxing my mind helps me figure out what that pieces of information is.

And yes, sometimes it's like you didn't know that you knew something until you thought about it. And yes, very often, there is no good way to fit the idea into words. It's like trying to describe how an apple tastes.

As for images, plenty of types think in terms of images, so that doesn't really differentiate anything. I know that I think in terms of images to a degree, because I can get these huge 3-d diagrams in my head that describe a system. But it's a fuzzy diagram. I don't know what is at a particular point on the diagram until I "zoom in on it" and then see the details appear. This isn't what most people mean when they think in terms of images.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes VagrantFarce liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Perception starts with "images" for all types, but the functional perspectives are differentiated by how the images square away with external reality: Ni - What the hell is it?
    (So what you're describing is another good example of the "internal" stuff Ni deals in).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Do you happen to know any good articles on how Ni works on a more logical and functional standpoint? I often see Ni dom's try to explain it from their perspective, which can be very bias in description. I find that it's more informative hearing it from a non-Ni user, but I still feel like there are a lot of key details that they are missing. Easily understood, being an enne 6, I often doubt myself. Thus, it's hard for me to really understand such a subjective function, and to recognize it often times. I feel as though I dismiss my intuition so often for the sake of not making mistakes, and that surly isn't healthy for me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Do you happen to know any good articles on how Ni works on a more logical and functional standpoint? I often see Ni dom's try to explain it from their perspective, which can be very bias in description. I find that it's more informative hearing it from a non-Ni user, but I still feel like there are a lot of key details that they are missing. Easily understood, being an enne 6, I often doubt myself. Thus, it's hard for me to really understand such a subjective function, and to recognize it often times. I feel as though I dismiss my intuition so often for the sake of not making mistakes, and that surly isn't healthy for me.
    Here's a start: when you remember something, what does it feel like? How does it feel different than, say, trying to solve a problem or make a decision?
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes VagrantFarce liked this post

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

introverted intuition- What's going to happen.
    5w4,4w5,1

The Researcher

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

The problem with me is that I feel like I am unable to identify intuition vs. thinking on a level separated by instantaneous insight. As you said, it often seems like my strategy and logic is correct, until I have a flash of insight, and it often assumes the role of a missing piece of the puzzle. Also, when I'm happiest and sound the most pulled together, is often when I'm able to use my Fe. If I'm comfortable in a situation when contemplating something, things often flow out of my mouth without having to sit on it. It just happens, and things I weren't even thinking flow out of my mouth, shocking me. Making sense of things in a way I knew was inside me, but couldn't pull. (Though I do have a problem with forgetting these things I conjured up, especially if I'm using my Fe. Wish I had someone to write shit down sometimes! lol). While along, of course this can happen too. Probably more when I'm alone because I think about things a lot and don't talk about them a whole lot. And because often, like anyone, I do need to tap into my Ti to make sense of other things. But when my Ni happens, to the extent that I'm aware of it, it's random. When I use it with Fe, especially, I feel a wholeness. But when in my head, I don't know how to differentiate Ni from Ti unless I randomly put things together or have insight. Idk if this is common for INFJ's, but I seem to use Fi alot, but as expected, badly. I'm great at understanding people, horrible at understanding myself. Especially when it comes to feeling and understanding my own psyche, which, has a lot to do with feelings.
    I apologize for this book I've written lmao.

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

The problem with me is that I feel like I am unable to identify intuition vs. thinking on a level separated by instantaneous insight. As you said, it often seems like my strategy and logic is correct, until I have a flash of insight, and it often assumes the role of a missing piece of the puzzle. Also, when I'm happiest and sound the most pulled together, is often when I'm able to use my Fe. If I'm comfortable in a situation when contemplating something, things often flow out of my mouth without having to sit on it. It just happens, and things I weren't even thinking flow out of my mouth, shocking me. Making sense of things in a way I knew was inside me, but couldn't pull. (Though I do have a problem with forgetting these things I conjured up, especially if I'm using my Fe. Wish I had someone to write shit down sometimes! lol). While along, of course this can happen too. Probably more when I'm alone because I think about things a lot and don't talk about them a whole lot. And because often, like anyone, I do need to tap into my Ti to make sense of other things. But when my Ni happens, to the extent that I'm aware of it, it's random. When I use it with Fe, especially, I feel a wholeness. But when in my head, I don't know how to differentiate Ni from Ti unless I randomly put things together or have insight. Idk if this is common for INFJ's, but I seem to use Fi alot, but as expected, badly. I'm great at understanding people, horrible at understanding myself. Especially when it comes to feeling and understanding my own psyche, which, has a lot to do with feelings.
    I apologize for this book I've written lmao.
    No need to apologize. However, from my dabbling in journalism, 3 sentences max per paragraph does make it easier for readers to understand.

Fe is understanding others. Fe users struggle to understand themselves. Fe is also best when expressed, so the desire for having someone write it down is typical.

Ni and Ti feel very different. Ni isn't thinking through a problem and coming up with a solution. Ni is suddenly seeing things clearly as it just pops into your mind.

I would recommend writing out your thoughts to understand them more. Writing them out means Fe will be doing the leading and it should be much clearer to you than staying in your brain. I find it much more productive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I agree, I find writing a much better way to make sense of my feelings. It helps me realize things I can't put together in my head. Oh btw, my phones acting up, so I can't use the enter key until I see my brother to fix it, lol. I feel like, before typology, I suppressed my Ni and over worked my Ti. Though when my Ni does occur, it helps me a lot, I've always doubted my instincts. Ever sense I was young. Being a lifelong issue, though I'm trying to change it for the better, my Ni doesn't seem to work as often as it maybe should. Thus, I rely on my Ti more than I probably should.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Your brain is a remarkable instrument, it is constantly flooded with all this information - far more than you or I could comprehend, and in order to function, it filters out what it deems unnecessary - for example, the only reason we don't see our noses 24/7 is because our brain has deemed that info unnecessary despite it being in our field of vision constantly.

The world is one big infinite mystery that we see a mere adaption or interpretation of and I think that a lot of people filter information differently.

I am painfully aware of things I feel like I shouldn't be...the layers and layers of sound and white noise woven into the background of everyday life - my brain sifts through it automatically and if it detects a change in pattern(human brains are particularly geared towards patterns in general), like say, the faintest human voice that I can only discern because it feels different to my ears than the wind, static, traffic in the distance..etc - so as a result, I may notice that there is a person nearby talking sooner than other people because my brain is listening to all this stuff and analyzing it constantly - sometimes I'm aware of it and it's almost painfully exhausting because I can't turn it off - other times I'm not sure why I know something.

Same thing with changes in light, shadow, etc. I'm sure there are other things we percieve that are even more minute that light and sound, but these are two examples I'm particularly aware of that seem to be a product of Ni for me.

The Gift of Fear is an interesting read that kind of relates to this.
    Likes Eilonwy liked this post