First 1959676869707179 Last

.Dysfunction + Suffering. Forever's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Amazing that this thread is still alive.
    Sun: ♈️ Moon: ♓️ Ascendant: ♒️
    obviously you're going to get nothing from reading this

Typology Retiree Yamato Nadeshiko's Avatar
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    Amazing that this thread is still alive.
    Probably because 69 pages later and I still don't understand what Ni is
    3 weeks on T
    Eat EVERYTHING!

.Dysfunction + Suffering. Forever's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    Soon. :P
    Sun: ♈️ Moon: ♓️ Ascendant: ♒️
    obviously you're going to get nothing from reading this

Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    Soon. :P
    Well if it wasn't 42, and it wasn't 69, then when?!?!?!
    3 weeks on T
    Eat EVERYTHING!
    Likes labyrinthine liked this post

Unapologetically Curious Enthusiastic_Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    729 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Here 21lux, I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote up in another thread on Ne/Ni. I think the analogy will make it clear and you can see the difference between Ne and Ni

"Ni realizes things as connected and interrelated, as Ne does, but keeps that system in place. Same inclination towards finding relationships, but maintaining the actual systems, or in other words, underlying structure in place. To my understanding, this is the fundamental difference between the two and how Ni is able to narrow things down to a point, whereas Ne tosses concepts around like a tossed salad. Ugh..ok, let's go with the "tossed salad" approach shall we? Ni sees the salad and all the pieces within the bowl, it's a salad with elements that come together to make that salad (cucumber, tomatoes, lettuce), sitting in the bowl. How are the elements related? Well it sees the underlying connections as making a whole, the concept or idea of what a salad is commonly known to be. Ne takes those salad elements, and throws out the bowl, so there is no longer anything restraining those elements to their original system of relationship. Think of the parts to a salad as all splayed out over a chopping board. Yes, they can all come together to make a salad, but the bowl, or unifying structure, is no longer relevant. They are now free flowing elements that have the opportunity to make new connections among one another since they are no longer bound to a system. Compared to other functions, Ni allows the person to step back, outside of the system that they are a part of, and sees it as an observer with everything all related. Ne allows the person to dissolve the system completely, and looks at the elements individually and tries to put them together in different ways. They both deal with finding underlying relationships, but through different modes.

Is one better than the other? Absolutely not. To me, Ni is more "magical" since it seems to work more in the background collecting data and making more sense of the system it's analyzing as it's taking in new perspectives and ideas. Ne is fully in the light with me, and ya I make connections at a lightning pace, and in that sense, can seem "magical", but I know precisely how those connections are being formed as it's happening, and while it's happening, it is an experience that happens in front of me and something that seems tangible and real, like I'm physically playing with the pieces. There is no "magic" to the process, and I can usually control my Ne to a rather strong degree. But the two are very similar in that they are both analyzing and seeking out relationships between things, or concepts for that matter. One just sees it as part of a "system", and one that disregards the system entirely and creates new systems in which to place things.

And as for predicting the future in way, like knowing how someone will react in a situation, that's totally Ni. Since they've collected all this information through experience and are able to see these individual lapses of time and moments as part of a larger whole. I really can't predict people's actions in the way an Ni dom user can, but the way I do it, which I can to a degree, is through my secondary Fi and my personal understanding of human nature and motives."
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Not gonna lie, that salad example was absolutely necessary for me to understand Thank you, @Enthusiastic_Dreamer !!
    3 weeks on T
    Eat EVERYTHING!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Not gonna lie, that salad example was absolutely necessary for me to understand Thank you, @Enthusiastic_Dreamer !!
    Yes, @Enthusiastic_Dreamer, that was an excellent analogy!

To add one last piece to the puzzle of Ni, 21lux, it helps I think to compare with Si, as well, especially since you're Si dom.

Where Si internalizes "what things are", Ni instead internalizes "what things do". That's why Ni is good at "predicting the future". It really reduces to reasoning as simple as "predicting" that a serial killer will kill again, because that's exactly what a serial killer does. What differentiates Ni from the other types is that Ni types classify EVERYTHING in terms of what it "does", and that creates a whole internal system in our heads that lets us "see" ahead of time what will happen next even (and especially) in complicated situations.

In trade for this talent, I cannot for the life of me remember "what things are" directly. It's sort of like hearing "Harrison Ford" and drawing a blank, but if you say, "That guy who played Han Solo in Star Wars," I'm like "Oh, yeah. HIM!" and then I'll remember all the other movie roles he was in, too. I remember everything about what things do, you see. (No, I don't really forget who"Harrison Ford" is. It's just an analogy.)
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Unapologetically Curious Enthusiastic_Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    729 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

So glad my explanation was useful! I was asking various people over the past month what Ni was and sort of came to my own conclusion and understanding of what the two N functions were, compared and as stand alone functions. I was worried I was totally off in my understanding and would have to start from scratch.

Happy to get the approval of Ni users
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Likes uumlau liked this post

Ni enables you to invoke, whereas Ne enables you to branch. Ni is totemic and reflective, Ne is playful and provocative. Both deal with abstraction, as opposed to Sensation's concrete grounding.

[edit] you might generalize these to include the Sensing functions as well:

• Introverted Perception is totemic and reflective
    • Extroverted Perception is playful and provocative

The difference then lies in which domain you're sitting in:

• Sensation deals in concrete realities
    • Intuition deals in abstract realities
    Hello

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    Ni enables you to invoke, whereas Ne enables you to branch. Ni is totemic and reflective, Ne is playful and provocative. Both deal with abstraction, as opposed to Sensation's concrete grounding.

[edit] you might generalize these to include the Sensing functions as well:

• Introverted Perception is totemic and reflective
    • Extroverted Perception is playful and provocative

The difference then lies in which domain you're sitting in:

• Sensation deals in concrete realities
    • Intuition deals in abstract realities
    Do you have a real, concrete example of what "totemic" means?
    "There seems to be a deep instinct in human beings to make compulsory that which isn't forbidden."