User Tag List

First 1555636465666775 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

How much certitude is inherent in Ni?

I recently watched Carl Jung's video describing Ni and his example is a patient who came to him complaining of a black snake in her abdomen. She told him it would take ten sessions to correct it. He describes that she did not have schizophrenia and she acknowledged it wasn't a literal snake, but that her internal intuition created a sense of reality known only to her, and she used metaphor to describe the intangible. She also came for ten sessions and was 'healed' at the end.

I'm curious about this because if Ni is in fact defined by certitude, then it wouldn't be my dominant function. I can relate to the internal language of metaphor and detachment, but I'm a careful thinker. My sense of reality is never finalized. Is that true of the Ji-doms or Pi-doms? It makes me question my type, as a side note. It seemed to make more sense for Pi-doms, but if Jung defines Ni as correlating with certitude, then my ideas about it are wrong.

It is valuable for this thread topic to address this issue of how Ni relates to certitude.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    How much certitude is inherent in Ni?

I recently watched Carl Jung's video describing Ni and his example is a patient who came to him complaining of a black snake in her abdomen. She told him it would take ten sessions to correct it. He describes that she did not have schizophrenia and she acknowledged it wasn't a literal snake, but that her internal intuition created a sense of reality known only to her, and she used metaphor to describe the intangible. She also came for ten sessions and was 'healed' at the end.

I'm curious about this because if Ni is in fact defined by certitude, then it wouldn't be my dominant function. I can relate to the internal language of metaphor and detachment, but I'm a careful thinker. My sense of reality is never finalized. Is that true of the Ji-doms or Pi-doms? It makes me question my type, as a side note. It seemed to make more sense for Pi-doms, but if Jung defines Ni as correlating with certitude, then my ideas about it are wrong.

It is valuable for this thread topic to address this issue of how Ni relates to certitude.
    You're assuming that Ni brought certitude. As an intuition it only brings a form of perception. Some other function, such as a judging function, must lend the perception certainty.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."
    Likes labyrinthine liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    583 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    You're assuming that Ni brought certitude. As an intuition it only brings a form of perception. Some other function, such as a judging function, must lend the perception certainty.

This is such a NP thing to say.

In my experience Ni can create a model/plan in instant and this plan will be a prefectly workable solution. There is no step by step brainstorming and many doubts.
    The only thing you have to pay attention to is that at the start of the process you have correct information that matches reality.

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post

In my experience Ni can create a model/plan in instant and this plan will be a prefectly workable solution. There is no step by step brainstorming and many doubts.
    The only thing you have to pay attention to is that at the start of the process you have correct information that matches reality.
    Boom, yes. The biggest problems with Ni are knowing if your base of knowledge is big enough and whether there is some sort of bias involved. If don't know you don't something very important related to your vision, then your vision will be wrong. If you are too biased to see clearly, then Ni will produce poor results.

It is like a pilot whose instruments are off just a hair. Such a small amount should seem meaningless. However, over time, that could mean an entirely different direction or running into a mountain or the ground.

I had a huge Ni explosion this spring. I resisted following it. I eventually realized it is 100% correct, but that my initial judgment was faulty and I didn't understand my vision clearly enough when I applied my judgment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

Ni vs Ne. lol.

Ne expand possibilities, Ni narrow them down. That explains why Ne users are not certain at times. Ni are usually certain, as there are less ideas in their idea, to choose from.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post

But you don't know what matches reality without a judging function. Consider what Perceiving and Judging mean. The former brings in information and the latter judges the information. You can't know if the information matches reality without the Judging function.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by westrom View Post
    Ni vs Ne. lol.

Ne expand possibilities, Ni narrow them down. That explains why Ne users are not certain at times. Ni are usually certain, as there are less ideas in their idea, to choose from.
    Certainty or certitude are products of the Judging function. I don't know what you mean by "Ni are usually certain" since you could be referring to a function or a person.

MBTI
    Gone

But you don't know what matches reality without a judging function. Consider what Perceiving and Judging mean. The former brings in information and the latter judges the information. You can't know if the information matches reality without the Judging function.
    You don't need to judge. It either fits your internal vision or not(vision meant as in N, just an internal mental idea whether it be logic, concept, pattern, etc.). If it doesn't then it's wrong...lol. or it ends to be morphed to fit your vision. Why do you think thier external perception is inferior.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    You don't need to judge. It either fits your internal vision or not(vision meant as in N, just an internal mental idea whether it be logic, concept, pattern, etc.). If it doesn't then it's wrong...lol. or it ends to be morphed to fit your vision. Why do you think thier external perception is inferior.
    I agree that there is a feeling of certitude, that is, conviction, that accompanies the Ni perception.

MBTI
    Gone

I agree that there is a feeling of certitude, that is, conviction, that accompanies the Ni perception.
    I bet it's controlled by tertiary Ti or Fi
    Im out, its been fun

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :wink: