Moving to the BVI Array highlander's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Sitting in front of someone and looking at them, along with all the smiling and nodding and interacting, I actually tend to end up having heard less of what they were saying, most particularly if I'm supposed to be interviewing them. It seems to me in such moments that the limited sensing resource is being used up in spotting, mimicking and maintaining conventional interaction cues and isn't serving as a source of input for the higher function. I actually don't get a chance to "think". Can't find the novelty and build on it.

This'll sound weird, I guess, but it is easier to hear an SP speak.
    I just conducted a bunch of campus interviews today. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with Ni, but I definitely have always experienced what you describe above. I can pay better attention to what someone is saying if I'm not looking at them, nodding, etc. It sounds counterintuitive. Instead of doodling, I've developed a practice of taking very detailed notes. It helps to focus my attention on listening to them and what they are saying. I'm not sure how people perceive this, but it might be better than them seeing you doodling

So, I experienced this exact thing today - looking at someone and nodding, etc. and what them telling me going in one ear and out the other, while paying much better attention if I'm not doing those things.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I just conducted a bunch of campus interviews today. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with Ni, but I definitely have always experienced what you describe above. I can pay better attention to what someone is saying if I'm not looking at them, nodding, etc. It sounds counterintuitive. Instead of doodling, I've developed a practice of taking very detailed notes. It helps to focus my attention on listening to them and what they are saying. I'm not sure how people perceive this, but it might be better than them seeing you doodling

So, I experienced this exact thing today - looking at someone and nodding, etc. and what them telling me going in one ear and out the other, while paying much better attention if I'm not doing those things.
    Yeah, I totally get this, too.

If I have to make eye contact and all that kind of crap, especially for an interview (whether I'm the interviewer or interviewee), I'm focusing more on making a good impression and pretending to pay attention, than I am actually listening. If I can stare into space as I listen, I can visualize what is being discussed, rather than focus on how their left eyebrow is moving. There's definitely an Se/Ni antithesis going on in such cases.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Yeah, I totally get this, too.

If I have to make eye contact and all that kind of crap, especially for an interview (whether I'm the interviewer or interviewee), I'm focusing more on making a good impression and pretending to pay attention, than I am actually listening. If I can stare into space as I listen, I can visualize what is being discussed, rather than focus on how their left eyebrow is moving. There's definitely an Se/Ni antithesis going on in such cases.
    Me four...

Similar thing also happens when I meet someone for the first time.

Something happens whereby I focus intensely on their face as to get a read on them, and, when I do, everything else goes completely out the window.

For the most part, I won't remember a person's name immediately after I first meet them, if I even hear it at all...

I think it has something to do with the effort required to focus on what's there right in front of us (inferior Se) -- it seems to require enough of our bandwidth that we just lose out on other things.

That's one of the weirdest things about Ni: the fact that you need to kinda zone out, in order to actually focus on what's right there.

Somewhat interesting Ne sidenote: A funny thing I remember hearing about Bill Clinton is that he supposedly has an amazing ability to remember peoples' names after meeting them just one time.

I can't remember whether this method was directly tied to him or not when I first heard it, but I hear a great way to remember people's names is to connect them with somebody else you know or a celebrity.

It would probably be really natural and easy for an ENP to be able to do this, due to dominant Ne; hence, his natural skill.

Ne doms? Any thoughts?
    The Justice Fighter

XXXX - XwX Xdw XwX sx/so - Neutral Good

"I trust what you are doing though…I just see it a little differently.
    I don’t see it as you stepping away from the fire. I see it as the fire directing your course.
    No matter how airy or earthy or watery you become... to many of us you will always be...a super nova."

"Behind these gates of seeming warmth sits, loosely chained, a fierce attack dog. Perhaps not crazy, but dangerous"

The Aggressive 6
    Debator

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Another question:

So, Mr. Holmes, do you feel this thread's helped you figure out what Ni is?
    The Justice Fighter

I don’t see it as you stepping away from the fire. I see it as the fire directing your course.
    No matter how airy or earthy or watery you become... to many of us you will always be...a super nova."

"Behind these gates of seeming warmth sits, loosely chained, a fierce attack dog. Perhaps not crazy, but dangerous"

The Aggressive 6
    Debator

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Ah well, no, the doodling is exceptionally useful, necessary even, for being part of some group listening to some speaker. For one on one interviewing... actually, I've done both. For my sins I sometimes work as a language examiner. Back when it was informal and arranged by me, I'd set up students in pairs to talk to each other and I'd sit back with a notebook. I used to find I could concentrate very well for as long as I was watching the notebook and listening for language cues. If I looked up and become somehow engaged in the talk, thoughts of appropriate gradings would slip away like so much smoke in the wind. These days I have to follow a standard set by the British Council, and that forbids note taking completely. (Note taking is understood to unnerve candidates--they make improper associations between having just uttered language and you having just taken a note). It's also supposed to mimic an actual conversation, so one has to at times, generate appropriate questions. In other words, one is supposed to have listened. Since the scores I give the candidates are to standard, the interviews are going as they should (which is nice because the job pays well), but it is taxing. I'm constantly aware of how difficult it is to take detailed notice of language forms and purposeful usage of language forms, and at the same time attempt to assess. Which must sound strange--what is an appropriate assessment in that circumstance if not detailed notice of forms and forms used?

I haven't asked other examiners if they find the work tiring in the same way, so it might not be an N vs S thing, but one interesting point re typology and interacting with people.... since I have to mimic actual present interest in what the candidates say, I smile and nod, and it's occurred to me to notice when I smile and nod. What content cues prompt a smile and a nod? Descriptions of things that happened in the world, emphasizing turning points in the mechanisms of what happened. Which I assume is me picking up on, or making the conversation into, Te signals. I started thinking about it just because I recognised that I wasn't reflecting feeling cues, not mimicking or mirroring feeling content, but was reflecting something. I have sometimes wondered if it's not impossible to come up with a menu of mimicked actions and brute-force model the deployment of other people's cognitive functions, if only to make candidates more comfortable and me less rigid of face.

Whatami, an F now?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

I have sometimes wondered if it's not impossible to come up with a menu of mimicked actions and brute-force model the deployment of other people's cognitive functions, if only to make candidates more comfortable and me less rigid of face.
    It is possible.

Whatami, an F now?
    You are human.
    The Justice Fighter

The Aggressive 6
    Debator

Or is he dancer?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Or is he dancer?

God I hate them...
    The Justice Fighter

The Aggressive 6
    Debator

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    It is possible.
    But, I submit, wholly undesirable. To do it well, it seems one must turn off normal functioning and deploy non-normal functioning. I can see it being an okay or even desirable thing if it were just a matter of deploying the non-normal. If it were that, you could learn it as a skill. But it seems to me that mimicking the functioning of other people's functions is a non-functional deployment of your real functions, especially if we're talking pretending to an e function of which you prefer the i.

Then again, I wonder if this is a generally applicable point or if it's not just tertiary Fi making noise. "It will mar my soul!"
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Or is he dancer?
    No. *I* am dancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post

God I hate them...
    Thanks a bunch.