User Tag List

First 12341252 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    Wow. I'm confused. One person says Ni is about looking at things from different perspectives and another says Ne explores all possibilities while Ni is focused on a singular vision.
    Ne continues to get different perspectives.
    Ni continues to flesh out one perspective.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Ni

Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

It's really simple. Two words: Introverted Intuition. Now you have to define "Introverted" and "Intuition". It seems like Introverted is the adjective and intuition is the noun. What could this all mean?

Anything away from this is based on tendency and continuously slimming connections.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Hmmm...I think iNtuition in general (whether it's Ni or Ne) wants to know "why." Rather than simply looking for connections from one thing to another, Ne also looks for underlying patterns it what seem to be different or unrelated things/people/situations/concepts. While Ni may have a singular unshakable vision, Ne wants to explore all of the possibilities.

I'm no good at explaining Ni, but I wanted to clarify what Ne is.
    Intuition in general is the process of gaining a conclusion by understanding a certain focused topic. Understanding what, how and why something is occuring.

Yes, Ne figures out why something occurs but through that which they first visualise how it came to be. In other words, figuring out the whole process of the event. The thought process works in that what is thought about brings about more things in relation to the subject and that it continues until a judgement factor plays into it for conclusion. They do not dwell into the purpose as usually Ne users tend to find knowing the purpose less useful than knowing the process.

Ni tends to look at the same focused thing within a different perspective usually with the intention of finding the purpose of that focused thing. For example: An Ni user could look towards someone wearing slick expensive sunglasses as 'an insecure person who uses expensive items to try to increase his/her social status' rather than 'someone who is posh'. Something that would tend be seen as generally positive was changed to negative.
    It amount for large amounts of skepticism and that why compared to Ne, Ni amounts to more definite assumptions.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I see Ni as the ability to fill in the blanks, even if there are many of them; the ability to read between the lines, even if all the words are not understood. I would almost reverse Arclight's graphics comparing Ne and Ni. Ne seems to take a starting point, and then go off in all directions pursuing the various possibilities suggested by that initial condition. Ni, on the other hand, takes an incomplete set of conditions, and tries to see what they all might be a part of. Oversimplified: interpolation vs. extrapolation.
    Likes Ovid liked this post

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I see Ni as the ability to fill in the blanks, even if there are many of them; the ability to read between the lines, even if all the words are not understood. I would almost reverse Arclight's graphics comparing Ne and Ni. Ne seems to take a starting point, and then go off in all directions pursuing the various possibilities suggested by that initial condition. Ni, on the other hand, takes an incomplete set of conditions, and tries to see what they all might be a part of. Oversimplified: interpolation vs. extrapolation.
    It's possible I have them backwards. I have used various sources of definitions to refine my own definitions.
    From what I can ascertain.. Ne is about Future possibilities triggered by a single idea.
    Ni Is about Ideas triggered by a possible future with references to possible pasts and present possibilities.

Either way, my diagrams define what's going on in my head and it seems I am adept at both.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    It's possible I have them backwards. I have used various sources of definitions to refine my own definitions.
    From what I can ascertain.. Ne is about Future possibilities triggered by a single idea.
    Ni Is about Ideas triggered by a possible future with references to possible pasts and present possibilities.

Either way, my diagrams define what's going on in my head and it seems I am adept at both.
    I don't think future and past are that useful in explaining the difference between the two. Intuition is simply abstract thought, and you can think of a spectrum of that thought as having internally driven on one side and externally driven on the other. Ne, being externally driven, will think abstractly about what's currently going on (including where the conversation is, what the social assumptions are, where the user is, etc.). Ni, being internally driven, will think abstractly about whatever is going on in their own heads (including the output of the last Intuition).

(I italicized 'about' because the distinction between the two functions is only based on what they look at, not what the mechanism is.)

So Ni can feed off itself (and other introverted functions) without once referencing the outside world. Ne can only feed on itself if the environment is affected. This makes Ne users more adaptable -- anything that comes at them can be thought of without the weight of past thoughts. It also means Ni users think more deeply about fewer ideas. They both have their pros and cons -- there is a tradeoff between integrating new information and processing information you already have.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Comparing them to interpolation and extrapolation makes a lot of sense.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
    Likes D'Ascoyne liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    Comparing them to interpolation and extrapolation makes a lot of sense.
    I don't think so. I think both Ni and Ne do both. The distinction, again, is what the intuition is about.
    INFJ 1>5>2 IPS (1w9 sx/sp)
    MBTI function to type calculator
    Likes raissaroars liked this post

ReflecTcelfeR

It would seem that Ni (whatever the function purpose is) in Jungian terms means putting yourself above the environment. And with Ne it's vice versa. If we say that Sensing is about physical details specifically, we are saying that it's more of a micromanaging thought process. It works within small minute parts until a completed whole is made. If we say that Inuition is the other side of that spectrum then we say that with Inuition we take the whole and deduce why and how the whole was made. Ni will try to change his perception of the whole in order to understand it, while Ne will change the whole in order to figure out why it WON'T work anyway, but one. If on the way to the whole they find a new path, or perception to go down they record it within a judging function.