• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Social/energised introverts and unenergetic extroverts?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're more directive, dramatic and judgmental compared to the average INTP. These aren't criticisms of you, so don't take it that way. It wouldn't surprise me if you're not an INTP but since I'm not a typologist, don't have the expertise to type you.

Good post, although the rambling OP is a better sign of INTP than INTJ.
His communication style is more P, even if his ideas seem more J.
.... which is still kinda INTP, if you're dealing with one with a larger focus on T to the exclusion of other views.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was thinking Ni dom with Te so, INTJ. All this based on what I think what you think your functions are and this phrase: "with a more interesting name that was more relevant."

rav3n

Good post, although the rambling OP is a better sign of INTP than INTJ.
His communication style is more P, even if his ideas seem more J.
.... which is still kinda INTP, if you're dealing with one with a larger focus on T to the exclusion of other views.
Yes, the bolded is a good way to phrase it, using the J/P dichotomies. But there's something Te-dom about his thought processes. Again, take my comments with a grain of salt since I'm no typologist.

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
But there's something Te-dom about his thought processes.
The pointed, direct questions Sherlock has posed throughout this thread (as a means of mentally working through this conundrum) seem to suggest high-level Te at work.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You're more directive, dramatic and judgmental compared to the average INTP. These aren't criticisms of you, so don't take it that way. It wouldn't surprise me if you're not an INTP but since I'm not a typologist, don't have the expertise to type you.

and you are much more entj compared to the average american(or where ever you are from). I think what comes to functions(and things caused by this kind of function strengths) he reminds me really much, so i can see pretty easily how he is not the typical intp, but i can still see that he is an intp.

sherlock holmes is clearly an TJ, but the op is clearly an intp. its so clear that its stupid to even talk about this..

rav3n

and you are much more entj compared to the average american(or where ever you are from). I think what comes to functions(and things caused by this kind of function strengths) he reminds me really much, so i can see pretty easily how he is not the typical intp, but i can still see that he is an intp.

sherlock holmes is clearly an TJ, but the op is clearly an intp. its so clear that its stupid to even talk about this..
Do you have a personal interest in what type he might be? If not, I'm uncertain why the need to protect the INTP typing. As previously mentioned more than once, neither expert or typologist. But I have had some exposure to INTPs in real life and wanted to provide observations. If you feel my observations are stupid, that's your perogative. But I feel your observations are narrowly focused, so we're even. ;)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do you have a personal interest in what type he might be? If not, I'm uncertain why the need to protect the INTP typing. As previously mentioned more than once, neither expert or typologist. But I have had some exposure to INTPs in real life and wanted to provide observations. If you feel my observations are stupid, that's your perogative. But I feel your observations are narrowly focused, so we're even. ;)

Why do you feel that my observations are narrowly focused?

rav3n

You can relate to some of his perceptions but that's based on the precondition of him being an INTP. Maybe he is, maybe he's not. Isn't it more important for each of us in our own ways, to try to help him find his type?

To be blunt, since the first thread he posted on TypeC, I've wondered if he was an INTP. Might be my bias too.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You can relate to some of his perceptions but that's based on the precondition of him being an INTP. Maybe he is, maybe he's not. Isn't it more important for each of us in our own ways, to try to help him find his type?

how do you know that there isnt more to my typing than just that?

rav3n

how do you know that there isnt more to my typing than just that?
I'll bite. Explain to everyone exactly how the OP is definitively an INTP, beyond telling people how stupid their thoughts are.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'll bite. Explain to everyone exactly how the OP is definitively an INTP, beyond telling people how stupid their thoughts are.

i didnt say that peoples thoughts are stupid, i told that its stupid to discuss about this because its so clear that he is an intp.

i cba to explain every single thought why i think he is an intp because it would take me hours to do that. and i dont think this is so important that i would want to spend hours convincing everyone that he is an intp

rav3n

i didnt say that peoples thoughts are stupid, i told that its stupid to discuss about this because its so clear that he is an intp.

i cba to explain every single thought why i think he is an intp because it would take me hours to do that. and i dont think this is so important that i would want to spend hours convincing everyone that he is an intp
So...you have no idea why you believe he's an INTP, beyond feeling, right?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
So...you have no idea why you believe he's an INTP, beyond feeling, right?

hmm, not sure if you are kidding or if you got some trouble understanding what is written pretty clearly. either way continuing this does no good

rav3n

hmm, not sure if you are kidding or if you got some trouble understanding what is written pretty clearly. either way continuing this does no good
I have absolutely no problems with reading comprehension. I was pushing your buttons to see if maybe, just maybe, you might actually share why you have the feeling the OP is definitely an INTP. Writing it out might help to crystallise your feelings of being able to relate to him. This is assuming that you're not mistyped.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
okay, i've read the OP now. i think you're an INTP. your posts always sound Ti, at least more than batshit Ne, and P - and yeah, my dad (INTP) can be almost a social butterfly around people he actually wants to talk to. and like i mentioned before, i thought i was an I, but functional preference says E. i think one of the really important things i learned (from people on here, actually) is that extraversion and introversion isn't necessarily about other people.

seriously, i don't buy the stereotypes, or the "recharging" crap. all humans have metabolic energy that is exhausted more quickly when they are interacting than not, and it doesn't have anything to do with being an I. it doesn't make biological sense to say someone "recharges" around people. on the other hand, if you think about it in terms of your dom function, it makes more sense: i "recharge" mentally when i'm using Ne because it's the easiest and most natural for me. this doesn't mean talking to others - it means solving puzzles, exploring, etc. it's not like i don't get tired, but i'm mentally stimulated by it. it makes me want to think more.

so maybe it'd be useful to ask where your best mental stimulation comes from. what gets you worked up and excited about a situation? for me, yeah, i have a driving need to help the world blah blah Fi blah, but what i get really into is being in the middle of the fray and solving a problem. bouncing ideas and tangents and making connections to bring everything together as one. and from that standpoint you can look at whether you're introverted because you tend to pay attention to and get engaged by internal systems/principles most, or extraverted because you tend to pay attention to and get engaged by external patterns/connections most.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
He is an ISFJ

Obviously.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
but the op is clearly an intp. its so clear that its stupid to even talk about this..

Of course!! >.>

He is an ISFJ...Obviously.

Of course!! O.O

Fare thee well assumers. Let me trample on thine vision of reality, or else let reality guide you. :D

Idontcare

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Well what you described of yourself sounds just like me but I wouldnt go by that if I were you because I identify with Intp really well, just not as well as ENTP. The one thing I would say that makes me more of an Entp is that I like to tease people and just mess with them. Not in a mean way but just for fun. I also like to lie to people about ridiculous things just for fun. Im also somewhat manipulative, but only when a person has identified themselves as against me or my enemy (kind of immature, I know). I dont know if you actually identify with any of these things I just described.

psyche

okay, i've read the OP now. i think you're an INTP. your posts always sound Ti, at least more than batshit Ne, and P - and yeah, my dad (INTP) can be almost a social butterfly around people he actually wants to talk to. and like i mentioned before, i thought i was an I, but functional preference says E. i think one of the really important things i learned (from people on here, actually) is that extraversion and introversion isn't necessarily about other people.

seriously, i don't buy the stereotypes, or the "recharging" crap. all humans have metabolic energy that is exhausted more quickly when they are interacting than not, and it doesn't have anything to do with being an I. it doesn't make biological sense to say someone "recharges" around people. on the other hand, if you think about it in terms of your dom function, it makes more sense: i "recharge" mentally when i'm using Ne because it's the easiest and most natural for me. this doesn't mean talking to others - it means solving puzzles, exploring, etc. it's not like i don't get tired, but i'm mentally stimulated by it. it makes me want to think more.

so maybe it'd be useful to ask where your best mental stimulation comes from. what gets you worked up and excited about a situation? for me, yeah, i have a driving need to help the world blah blah Fi blah, but what i get really into is being in the middle of the fray and solving a problem. bouncing ideas and tangents and making connections to bring everything together as one. and from that standpoint you can look at whether you're introverted because you tend to pay attention to and get engaged by internal systems/principles most, or extraverted because you tend to pay attention to and get engaged by external patterns/connections most.

This is a very interesting framing of I/E. I like your question -- where does your mental stimulation come from. I am an E, but I get quite drained by most types of social interaction. I'm very "good" at being social -- I lead groups, I am a public speaker and present to audiences of hundreds, I have a lot of friends. BUT I am also quite drained by all but a very few types of social interactions: if I'm with a very close friend (one-on-one only), or family, I don't get drained. If I'm an attendee at a small workshop and not expected to talk much, I don't get very drained (but I still need downtime afterward). And -- here's the part that connects to your point -- though I am involved in academic and social justice work and that's the passion that drives me professionally, what keeps me "stimulated" in conversation is talking about relationships and personality types: intimate relationship dynamics and/or MB/Enneagram stuff. Anything other than that, I'm bound to get drained.

So, that would support your theory of Fe, correct? The dominant function being the one that drains you the least? Or would that be Te then?

I had been wondering about how I could be E and get drained so easily, even from one-on-one conversations.

Last edited: