• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Social/energised introverts and unenergetic extroverts?

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Been away for a while. Anyway, first off, no, I'm not INTJ. I have tested it before (on a dichotomy test, not a function test) which I soon realised was simply due to my "thinking ahead" and not doing things without thinking about them first, which I learned is an IP thing generally, and not J. And I'm not sure how much Te I show in my posts (I never noticed them to be so organised myself!) but IRL I am actually very lazy, messy, irresponsible and detatched, and I struggle to focus on something unless I find it incredibly interesting (I have ADHD). Also, I score reasonably low on Te in tests, as you can see, and not that much on Ni either. I realise I can be judgemental (although it's something I try to avoid) but I didn't think that was much of a J thing anyway.

Well what you described of yourself sounds just like me but I wouldnt go by that if I were you because I identify with Intp really well, just not as well as ENTP. The one thing I would say that makes me more of an Entp is that I like to tease people and just mess with them. Not in a mean way but just for fun. I also like to lie to people about ridiculous things just for fun. Im also somewhat manipulative, but only when a person has identified themselves as against me or my enemy (kind of immature, I know). I dont know if you actually identify with any of these things I just described.

I will occasionally tease people, but only playfully, and I am never manipulative. In fact I tend to be direct and honest, unless I have a good reason not to be or am anxious.

okay, i've read the OP now. i think you're an INTP. your posts always sound Ti, at least more than batshit Ne, and P - and yeah, my dad (INTP) can be almost a social butterfly around people he actually wants to talk to. and like i mentioned before, i thought i was an I, but functional preference says E. i think one of the really important things i learned (from people on here, actually) is that extraversion and introversion isn't necessarily about other people.

seriously, i don't buy the stereotypes, or the "recharging" crap. all humans have metabolic energy that is exhausted more quickly when they are interacting than not, and it doesn't have anything to do with being an I. it doesn't make biological sense to say someone "recharges" around people. on the other hand, if you think about it in terms of your dom function, it makes more sense: i "recharge" mentally when i'm using Ne because it's the easiest and most natural for me. this doesn't mean talking to others - it means solving puzzles, exploring, etc. it's not like i don't get tired, but i'm mentally stimulated by it. it makes me want to think more.

so maybe it'd be useful to ask where your best mental stimulation comes from. what gets you worked up and excited about a situation? for me, yeah, i have a driving need to help the world blah blah Fi blah, but what i get really into is being in the middle of the fray and solving a problem. bouncing ideas and tangents and making connections to bring everything together as one. and from that standpoint you can look at whether you're introverted because you tend to pay attention to and get engaged by internal systems/principles most, or extraverted because you tend to pay attention to and get engaged by external patterns/connections most.

I enjoy solving puzzles, unless it is tiring me, at which point I will often give up and reclude. I'm not really that smart for an NTP, although maybe I would be if I weren't so lazy. I don't know. I have my principles which I try to stand firmly by and I am often in deep thought, but that's not to say I don't like external things. I enjoy a mystery or puzzle, or a theoretical, philosophical or whatever sort of conversation. I've tried, though quickly given up on because I was useless at, inventing things several times in my life, and I have a strong interest in Holmes style problems, and sometimes I will look at something and try to figure out the most likely causes for the situation (On the rare occasion that I get to find out whether I was right, I am usually wrong or not completely right). Is this I or E, do you think?

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Oh yeah, as for Te objecticiy, relying on hard evidence, while Ti is focused more on deductive logic, I never understood why the two have to be different. I deduce conclusions, but obviously I'm not going to assume they are true if there is insufficient evidence or if evidence contradicts it.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
The E/I issue in NTPs has to be one of the most confusing in MBTI. I've been totally unable to come to any definitive realisation.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh yeah, as for Te objecticiy, relying on hard evidence, while Ti is focused more on deductive logic, I never understood why the two have to be different. I deduce conclusions, but obviously I'm not going to assume they are true if there is insufficient evidence or if evidence contradicts it.

I've asked these questions myself and the answers I ended up with are simple. It's a matter of which standards of consistency(logic) you intuitively rely on: the empirical external world or the rational internal world?

If you think about it, what qualifies as 'evidence'? For Te, it means collective worldly observation. For Ti, it means internal deduction. For Te, reality is already defined by sense experience. For Ti, reality is brought by logical conclusions.

Typology is mainly a Ti thing because there's nothing "scientific" about it, it does however "makes sense". (in a Ti way)

In addition, evidence is also a Ti thing because things "makes sense" when there is evidence. But structural human cooperative system things are Te things.
The E/I issue in NTPs has to be one of the most confusing in MBTI. I've been totally unable to come to any definitive realisation.

I think the easiest way of determining E/I is by determining your inferior Function. So, are you particularly troubled with Fe or Si?

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I think the easiest way of determining E/I is by determining your inferior Function. So, are you particularly troubled with Fe or Si?

I am actually not sure about that, either. I score higher Si than Fe, as you can see, but I score very high on Fi, which may be a mixture of Fe and Ti.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4

Introverted Thinking types report becoming illogical, inefficient, unfocused, and scattered. An INTP described becoming �emotional, edgy, disorganized, obsessive about details, confused, closed.
Introverted Thinking types in the grip of inferior Extraverted Feeling may become passionately insistent on the application of logic, becoming quite emotional about their approach. As an extension of their loss of control over the Thinking function, the Introverted Thinking type begins to engage in excessively logical, unproductive thinking. There may be an obsessive quality to this thinking. One ISTP feels compelled to �prove� the accuracy of his perception of things. An INTP said, �If a problem comes up that I'm unable to resolve, I work at it anyway and can't let go of it, even if I know I can't solve it.� Other Introverted Thinking types report becoming less articulate, speaking rapidly and disjointedly, and using sharp, clear, but �paranoid� logic.
One INTP said she becomes �mushy, sentimental, very outwardly emotional, and unpredictably so.

I can relate to these to a fairly good degree, but also to some of the ENP stuff. Though there is overlap in the two anyway.