• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can SPs be neurotic?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Just a question. Most people seem to think that neuroticism and SPness are like, antithetical. Explain your stance.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Marlon Brando. Case closed.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just a question. Most people seem to think that neuroticism and SPness are like, antithetical. Explain your stance.

Why would it be antithetical? SPs can be anxious, worrywarts too. I think they might appear more carefree though(probably most Ps in general).

When I think of a neurotic SP, I think of Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, just totally wild, crazy implusive people.

KDude

I think a lot are probably a little neurotic (including me probably). That is, unless Brando and Jolie are actually NFJs (it's possible). And the list goes on of possible ISFP artists or musicians who didn't think life was peachy or preached eating hamburgers and over-optimism.

KDude

Then I can be ISTP nao?

Yes, you can!

cartoons53.gif

A

A window to the soul

Neurotic?? :huh: Um, no.
Bad emo connotation. :emot-emo:

Sillies.

KDude

Neurotic?? :huh: Um, no.
Bad emo connotation. :emot-emo:

Sillies.

Not emo. I mean, you're an INTP in touch with her inner Marilyn Monroe, who cares about social "connotations", and talking about love being a way of life.

That's pretty neurotic, if you ask me (also, stay that way ;)).

A

A window to the soul

Not emo. I mean, you're an INTP in touch with her inner Marilyn Monroe, who cares about social "connotations", and talking about love being a way of life.

That's pretty neurotic, if you ask me (also, stay that way ;)).

...hmmm maybe so. :redface:
The fairy god mother is hilarious BTW.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
<--- *case in point*

there are even neurotic ESTPs :doh:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why would it be antithetical? SPs can be anxious, worrywarts too. I think they might appear more carefree though(probably most Ps in general).

When I think of a neurotic SP, I think of Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, just totally wild, crazy implusive people.

You aren't thinking of neurotic people. You're thinking of people with borderline personality disorder.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ernest Hemingway could be an example of a neurotic SP.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You aren't thinking of neurotic people. You're thinking of people with borderline personality disorder.

Aren't personality disorders a form of neurosis?

I think there are different usages of the word neurotic though....most people use it colloquially to mean someone high-strung or quirky in an emotional way.

But in any usage, I've seen neurotic SPs. Most of the SPs close to me are rather neurotic, and some have an actual diagnosed neurosis....

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Aren't personality disorders a form of neurosis?

I think there are different usages of the word neurotic though....most people use it colloquially to mean someone high-strung or quirky in an emotional way.

But in any usage, I've seen neurotic SPs. Most of the SPs close to me are rather neurotic, and some have an actual diagnosed neurosis....

Neurotic in the colloquial sense would be high strung, nervous, anxious, socially awkward, and/or mildly OCD.

I don't think real mental illness (and BPD is real mental illness) counts in terms of type, any type.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I remember Fran in Black Books was like an ISXP, and she was highly neurotic.

Noon

I'm a neurotic SP.

Then again I could be ISFJ too, so...

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Neurotic in the colloquial sense would be high strung, nervous, anxious, socially awkward, and/or mildly OCD.

I don't think real mental illness (and BPD is real mental illness) counts in terms of type, any type.

I agree with this distinction.

IME the SFPs tend to be more neurotic than the STPs. My ESFP/ISFP sister, for instance, is high-strung and anxious to the point that she regularly suffers panic attacks. I've known other SFPs who were similar as well.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ugh... Yeah... I have the tendency to have panic attacks occasionally. I had one on New Years once because we were in a crowded bar, and by crowded I mean they probably went well over their capacity, and some random guy was leaning on me... I just had a melt down.. For no reason at all I burst into tears and the guy I was seeing at the time pushed me back into the bar's closet/freezer area to give me a chance to calm down. I missed the countdown because of it. I had another panic attack a few years later at my ex's family reunion because I don't do well around new people and I didn't know many people... And they just kept coming at me asking me a million questions and I just froze up and couldn't breathe because of it.

I'm not really high-strung, but I am anxious when around a lot of people or faced with a task I'm not familiar with at all or doctor's appointment... No matter what kind, any appointment with a doctor makes me panic.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
wikipedia said:
...anxiety, sadness or depression, anger, irritability, mental confusion, low sense of self-worth, etc., behavioral symptoms such as phobic avoidance, vigilance, impulsive and compulsive acts, lethargy, etc., cognitive problems such as unpleasant or disturbing thoughts, repetition of thoughts and obsession, habitual fantasizing, negativity and cynicism, etc. Interpersonally, neurosis involves dependency, aggressiveness, perfectionism, schizoid isolation, socio-culturally inappropriate behaviors, etc.

my sister is ESFP and repeats dooming relationship patterns based on low self-worth and other things. She's an independent dependent, which has always been a big problem. My mom also thinks she's bipolar, but my mom also displays neurosis and is ESFJ.