User Tag List

First 123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

<--- *case in point*

there are even neurotic ESTPs
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    Why would it be antithetical? SPs can be anxious, worrywarts too. I think they might appear more carefree though(probably most Ps in general).

When I think of a neurotic SP, I think of Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, just totally wild, crazy implusive people.
    You aren't thinking of neurotic people. You're thinking of people with borderline personality disorder.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Ernest Hemingway could be an example of a neurotic SP.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    You aren't thinking of neurotic people. You're thinking of people with borderline personality disorder.
    Aren't personality disorders a form of neurosis?

I think there are different usages of the word neurotic though....most people use it colloquially to mean someone high-strung or quirky in an emotional way.

But in any usage, I've seen neurotic SPs. Most of the SPs close to me are rather neurotic, and some have an actual diagnosed neurosis....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Aren't personality disorders a form of neurosis?

I think there are different usages of the word neurotic though....most people use it colloquially to mean someone high-strung or quirky in an emotional way.

But in any usage, I've seen neurotic SPs. Most of the SPs close to me are rather neurotic, and some have an actual diagnosed neurosis....
    Neurotic in the colloquial sense would be high strung, nervous, anxious, socially awkward, and/or mildly OCD.

I don't think real mental illness (and BPD is real mental illness) counts in terms of type, any type.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

I remember Fran in Black Books was like an ISXP, and she was highly neurotic.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

I'm a neurotic SP.

Then again I could be ISFJ too, so...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Neurotic in the colloquial sense would be high strung, nervous, anxious, socially awkward, and/or mildly OCD.

I don't think real mental illness (and BPD is real mental illness) counts in terms of type, any type.
    I agree with this distinction.

IME the SFPs tend to be more neurotic than the STPs. My ESFP/ISFP sister, for instance, is high-strung and anxious to the point that she regularly suffers panic attacks. I've known other SFPs who were similar as well.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Ugh... Yeah... I have the tendency to have panic attacks occasionally. I had one on New Years once because we were in a crowded bar, and by crowded I mean they probably went well over their capacity, and some random guy was leaning on me... I just had a melt down.. For no reason at all I burst into tears and the guy I was seeing at the time pushed me back into the bar's closet/freezer area to give me a chance to calm down. I missed the countdown because of it. I had another panic attack a few years later at my ex's family reunion because I don't do well around new people and I didn't know many people... And they just kept coming at me asking me a million questions and I just froze up and couldn't breathe because of it.

I'm not really high-strung, but I am anxious when around a lot of people or faced with a task I'm not familiar with at all or doctor's appointment... No matter what kind, any appointment with a doctor makes me panic.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia, lolol
    ...anxiety, sadness or depression, anger, irritability, mental confusion, low sense of self-worth, etc., behavioral symptoms such as phobic avoidance, vigilance, impulsive and compulsive acts, lethargy, etc., cognitive problems such as unpleasant or disturbing thoughts, repetition of thoughts and obsession, habitual fantasizing, negativity and cynicism, etc. Interpersonally, neurosis involves dependency, aggressiveness, perfectionism, schizoid isolation, socio-culturally inappropriate behaviors, etc.
    my sister is ESFP and repeats dooming relationship patterns based on low self-worth and other things. She's an independent dependent, which has always been a big problem. My mom also thinks she's bipolar, but my mom also displays neurosis and is ESFJ.