First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    And you say the question doesn't make sense?
    It didn't until I added those qualifications.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

On reason is that gender tends to be relatively obvious whereas the 16 types are not. You don't need to guess.
    Height and race are rather obvious, too, but don't really tell us much about who the person is inside. I often point out how much variation there is bound to be within each of the 16 types; there will be even more within each of the two genders. Type will thus tell us more about a person, though by no means all.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Yes, I am stating my beliefs which have been formed based on personal experience. There were also numerous studies referenced at the bottom of the Wikipedia article if I recall correctly. If you have evidence to the contrary, please share.
    Did you read any of them? Forgive me if I don't consider wikipedia the final word in gender studies. I recommend reading a book that covers the basic research. Here's a decent one.

I'm certain there are differences but I'm not sure I really fully comprehend them. That's why I created the OP.
    How can you be certain about something that you don't comprehend? Sounds more and more like prejudice...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    For F women and T men, cultural conditioning reinforces innate tendencies.
    Spin it around. Culture reflects the innate tendencies of the majority. That's my point.
    As for whether the various preferences are on a continuum or exclusive opposites, I have read contradictory claims. It may help to remember that T, F, S, and N are functions, while E, I, P, and J are considered attitudes.
    You're wrong on both counts. Before you challenge someone, it helps to get your facts straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Spin it around. Culture reflects the innate tendencies of the majority. That's my point.
    Your point is merely an assertion. Culture often follows the tendencies of those in power, not necessarily the majority. See Riane Eisler's The Chalice and the Blade for some significant examples.
    You're wrong on both counts. Before you challenge someone, it helps to get your facts straight.
    You can consult any basic text on MBTI for the distinction between functions and attitudes. If you are aware of a different interpretation, please provide a reference so I and others can compare. Similarly, if you know that the continuum/dichotomy question has been resolved, please link details. That would be of great interest to many. Before you criticize someone else's information, be prepared to offer facts of your own.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Did you read any of them? Forgive me if I don't consider wikipedia the final word in gender studies. I recommend reading a book that covers the basic research. Here's a decent one.
    Hey - that looks interesting.

I think to come up with general "rules of thumb" means that you will most certainly be wrong in specific instances. That is, there are always exceptions. Lots of them. It's perfectly OK as long as you accept the imperfections.

How can you be certain about something that you don't comprehend? Sounds more and more like prejudice...
    That's a reasonable question.

How much do you know about introverted intuition?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

How much do you know about introverted intuition?
    Eww. Cutesy jokes make me gag.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    Oh yes, this is a good point. On the other hand, I think an INTP male and female would probably interact rather similarly with others. They rarely possess many distinctly masculine or feminine characteristics.
    This is true at least for me, a friend told me I was weird in that I display neither masculine nor feminine personality traits. Not inbetween, but neither.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

out of curiosity, do you guys present your gender differently online?

i'm very obviously female IRL, but if i don't have a girly-oriented avatar or self-identify, i'm often mistaken for a male in chat and forums.

i doubt i'd be mistaken for an ENFP though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    out of curiosity, do you guys present your gender differently online?

i'm very obviously female IRL, but if i don't have a girly-oriented avatar or self-identify, i'm often mistaken for a male in chat and forums.

i doubt i'd be mistaken for an ENFP though.
    I have been trying to explore this in the "male or female?" thread http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=35022, but this thread is getting into some related issues. I make no attempt to present myself differently online than in person, aside of withholding more personally identifying information. Very little of this is gender-related, though.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

The effect of gender on personality would appear to depend upon the type. ESFx males act especially different from ESFx females, due to various social pressures, while this is less true for INTxs. INTxs of either gender just don’t seem to care.

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    What one can assume is that type transcends physiology only to a certain degree. As much as feeler men stereotypically have female tendencies, if one would take it so far, they still have a penis. So they will act differently than female feelers. Just look at this forum, you can see that. Its very clear. As do thinker females they act differently than male thinkers.
    Have you guessed someone’s sex correctly without any sort of cue (screen name, avatar, etc)? Sex is notoriously difficult to guess on the Internet and if you note any patterns by any other means you’ll be extremely vulnerable to hindsight bias.

On a personal note, I don’t associate myself with my sex. I almost consider myself to be a brain in a jar that’s lucky enough to have a body to accomplish my goals.

The chief function of the body is to carry the brain around.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox