User Tag List

First 4121314

Results 131 to 135 of 135

  1. #131
    girl with a pretty smile Honor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    If we remove a statistical preference for Te/Ti vs. Fe/Fi (more women are F and more men are T), what matters more in understanding someone -gender or type? All things being equal (from a type perspective), how does one gender vs. the other differ in the way they:

    - Relate with others
    - Communicate
    - Think
    - Make decisions
    - Act/behave

    I recall reading Men are From Mars, Women are from Venus and it seemed like a comparison between stereotypical male/female MBTI types but perhaps this is a wrong assessment.

    Gender differences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    A few quotes from the above Wikipedia article:

    "In the big five personality traits, women score higher in Agreeableness (tendency to be compassionate and cooperative) and Neuroticism (tendency to feel anxiety, anger, and depression)."

    "Males are generally more aggressive than females. There is evidence that males are quicker to aggression and more likely than females to express their aggression physically. However, some researchers have suggested that females are not necessarily less aggressive, but that they tend to show their aggression in less overt, less physical ways. For example, females may display more verbal and relational aggression, such as social rejection."

    "When measured with an affect intensity measure, women reported greater intensity of both positive and negative affect than men. Women also reported a more intense and more frequent experience of affect, joy, and love but also experienced more embarrassment, guilt, shame, sadness, anger, fear, and distress. Experiencing pride was more frequent and intense for men than for women."
    Both matter a lot.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

    thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

  2. #132
    Member hornet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx
    Socionics
    ESI
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    That should be obvious. They don't follow the traditional male/female role breakdown, as that does not accommodate same-sex relationships. I'm not gay, but from what I have read, they find the implication that someone in the relationship will take on the opposite gendered role as rather insulting, not to mention inaccurate. Yes, gays use body language just like anyone else, but it will express their individuality rather than a gender role (as it does with plenty of straight folks as well).


    You may take on a gender role. I simply take on a role. Sometimes it coincides with a traditional gender role; more often, it does not. How I approach these (non-gendered) roles is strongly affected by type, as is which roles I choose to take on to begin with. Gender has a relatively minor influence in my approach. E.g. at a formal event, I will wear an evening gown rather than a tux. The rest is relatively gender-neutral, driven by what it makes sense to do in the situation.
    And after all the hairsplitting was done we where none the wiser anyway.
    We agreed on what was going on we just felt it necissary to point out meaningless details that the other really wasn't at odds over anyway...
    This was a waste of time...
    Bye.

  3. #133
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hornet View Post
    And after all the hairsplitting was done we where none the wiser anyway.
    We agreed on what was going on we just felt it necissary to point out meaningless details that the other really wasn't at odds over anyway...
    This was a waste of time...
    Bye.
    You stated up front that type is the greater influence on personality, but that we should instead let gender govern how we interact with people. I pointed out both the internal contradiction and the practical pitfalls in this approach. If you consider this hair-splitting, then it is indeed a waste of time for you to discuss it. Your understanding should improve with age and experience.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  4. #134
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Bolded the parts that pretty much speak my own mind on the subject. In my own experiences as both a female and an ENTP, I couldn't have said it better. There is a reason why I'm extremely aware when speaking to F females (which is most of them) AND males of all F types that I need to change the manner in which I communicate and the way I act. Because I can't just wing it and be understood.

    There's also a reason why I can relax much more around male Fs. They're more "T" than the females. Tell the truth, people, when talking to a female T, who is being herself, do you not quickly perceive that difference?
    It's difficult for me to understand how you can both agree with me and then go on to suggest something completely at odds with what I said...

    Functional preference strength varies from individual to individual, but it certainly isn't the case that the individuals with the strongest F preference are all women or the strongest T preference are men. It may be that F men and T women "tone down" the expression of their preferences given society's expectations ( in fact, F men have told me they do this - to avoid being bullied for example) which might account for your observations. But no, they are not inherently more T than females. Compare a INfJ like Z Buck with an ENFP like Elfboy and tell me who is more "F"?
    In borderline cases, it is more likely that male Fs will mistype as Ts (and females as Fs), in recognition of which fact, practitioners administering the MBTI will adjust scores accordingly. So that tends to imply the opposite conclusion: given a group of self-typed male and female Fs, the males are likely MORE F (i.e. have more strongly expressed preference).
    Quote Originally Posted by Eruca View Post
    In other words, if you want to interact with someone you have to interact with the person you are supposed to think they are--man or a woman, with who that person actually is being of less direct importance.
    Worst. Advice. Ever.

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    That's a good post until you got to the last paragraph. I'm not supporting anything. I just said it was interesting.

    Stop trolling me.
    It's a good post in its entirety. It's unfortunate that you feel so threatened by someone merely highlighting the errors and inconsistencies in your argument, maybe you should include a [safe space] tag if you can't stand to be challenged? ..Except that would probably be an abuse, since your OP is so blatantly sexist, perpetuating naive and antiquated oppressive stereotypes, as does the "literature" you cite. Until you stop doing that, you should expect to be challenged.

    I'll concede that you haven't offered *anything* to support the prejudice you espouse, if it makes you happy, though why you think that's something to advertise eludes me.
    Last edited by Ivy; 12-20-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: highway to the danger zone
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  5. #135
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    It's a good post in its entirety. It's unfortunate that you feel so threatened by someone merely highlighting the errors and inconsistencies in your argument, maybe you should include a [safe space] tag if you can't stand to be challenged? ..Except that would probably be an abuse, since your OP is so blatantly sexist, perpetuating naive and antiquated oppressive stereotypes, as does the "literature" you cite. Until you stop doing that, you should expect to be challenged.

    I'll concede that you haven't offered *anything* to support the prejudice you espouse, if it makes you happy, though why you think that's something to advertise eludes me.
    I’m not threatened nor affected by what you claim to be errors or inconsistencies in my argument. In fact, I have no argument or prejudice at all. I’m simply raising a question.

    Maybe it would help to provide some perspective on the origin of the OP. I was made aware of a point of view that women interacted differently than men in some certain ways in the workplace. My initial reaction was one of disbelief because I don’t hold these kinds of views. I have always perceived people to be the same. The assertion that people of different genders preferred to interact differently was made not by me but by others. These are women that have done well – better than me and quite likely much more successful than you. It caused me to take a step back and wonder if indeed there was a reason why I should consider interacting differently towards women vs. men.

    I brought this up all in the spirit of open discussion and argument. I have no preconceived views.

    The fact that you attack me on such matters is unfortunate. It is like Don Quixote attacking windmills. If I advocated a position earlier in the thread, it was more to stimulate discussion than any kind of real opinion.

    Do you actually think there is any difference between women or men or do you think they are exactly the same? What is your opinion?

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

Similar Threads

  1. What matters more, intention or consequence?
    By magpie in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 12-20-2015, 07:17 PM
  2. What does your type and gender mean to you?
    By Vilku in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 07-20-2015, 09:50 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM
  4. What's her type? Or maybe she's a mental?
    By Typoz in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-07-2012, 02:27 PM
  5. What is my type? (or not)
    By Laurie in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 12:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO