User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Default Fuel Tanks and Preferences

Recently I read stuff about the Big Five and the author mentioned a fuel tank sort of approach to these traits. For example, you have a limited amount of extroversion and introversion you can handle before becoming fatigued with your situation, and wanting to switch to the other tank.

The MBTI theory talks about preferences for one side of each of four dimensions.

Now the Big Five has some obvious comparisons to the MBTI.

Extroversion = E/I
    Originality = N/S
    Consolidation = J/P

I just read that the following two sort of jointly account for the final MBTI factor.

Need for Stability = T/F
    Accomadation = T/F

So, anyway, the whole point of this post is to reconcile the Big Five's fuel tank concept with the MBTI's preference concept.

My extroversion fuel tank is probably pretty small and my introversion tank is probably pretty big. Being that I can't spend a lot of time extroverting, and I can't handle a lot of the more demanding extroverted situations without having a strong desire to get away and be alone, I should most definitely prefer introversion over extroversion.

Now if someone has nearly equal fuel tanks of extroversion and introversion, it stands to reason that their preference could go either way, even towards one that is somewhat smaller than the other. Their preference might even be context related. "When I'm here I prefer extroversion. When I'm there I prefer introversion." This view of things would allow for someone to switch between two MBTI types rather comfortably, rather than having a constant preference for one over the other.

I guess that's all for now. Thoughts, input, comments, and throwing of solid objects welcome.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

good metaphor

by the way, i don't think the big 5 really hits T vs. F

neuroticism or whatever you want to call it probably doesn't correlate that well to T/F. there are plenty of Ts with high neuroticism scores and plently of Fs with low scores (like me for instance). and i think agreeableness probably strongly correlates to Fe, but i wouldn't see why it would correlate with Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    Now if someone has nearly equal fuel tanks of extroversion and introversion, it stands to reason that their preference could go either way, even towards one that is somewhat smaller than the other. Their preference might even be context related. "When I'm here I prefer extroversion. When I'm there I prefer introversion." This view of things would allow for someone to switch between two MBTI types rather comfortably, rather than having a constant preference for one over the other.
    That's me.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson