• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Changes in your MBTI and Enneagram types

rav3n

1. Haven't sourced enough information to understand MBTI to the degree necessary to make this call.
2. Enneagram appears to be a Fe-based construct which I reject beyond the instinctual stackings. As far as these are concerned if sx is defined as intimacy, then from as far back as I can remember, it's been the same. I have a strong need to connect but sp will put the brakes on if it senses any issues.

Since other members have expressed concern over point #2, I should clarify. This response is solely focused on E8.

Last edited:

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Nah,

I don't think we change types; who you are is at the core. Life experiences may suppress or develop what's less prominent in you, though. For instance, I think I was definitely more ISTJ as a teen, but I have developed other functions to a point where I am balanced. I still consider myself ISTJ at the end of the day though.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1. Do you think that you were ever (genuinely) another MBTI type?

I am always in doubt about me, but I only seriously thought I was a different type at the very beginning when I didn't understand MBTI. I thought that there was no way I was an intuitive because I'm mind-blind and take things literally.

2. Do you ever think that you were ever another enneagram type?

Well, at first I thought that I was a 5w6. Now I see that I don't have a 6 wing but I am still torn between 5w4 and 4w5. I was 5w4 for a long time but now I am slightly leaning toward 4w5.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I was probably more Infp as a child, but this is because of my environment not because it was me. I think I have always been xNTP. I'm more I than e, but tests seem to cut me down the middle of that line.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just curious.

1. No, not really. If anything, I was ISXP and then ISFP. I think I was always ISFP although the F part of my personality wasn't really solidly present until my early teens.

2. Not for a second.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I've never really been certain of my MBTI type. I am pretty sure that it's an sfp type... either isfp or esfp. I can go back and forth between the two of them.
As for the enneagram type, well, I don't really understand enneagram, but I suspect 7w6 is the right one for me.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The first time I've token this test, I've gotten INFP.

I'm quite set around IXFP. I was quite set that I was an IXXP type to begin with.

Though other types do pop up here and there.

At first, I thought I might have been a 4w5 or a 5w4. I think what changed my mind was that type 4 and type 5 sounded like extreme cases to me.

As of right now, I'm set on 9w1 unless I can somehow be proven that I have an 8 wing instead of a 1 wing.

Modern Warrior Poet

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
----
Just curious.

I was solidly an ENFJ when I was younger, but as I became older, wiser, and a bit more cynical, I have become a ENTJ. Apparently, this is a very common transition.

Sunny Ghost

I tested as an ISFP the first time I took an mbti test. Read the description and it really struck home. I became hooked to the mbti for that reason. It was just so dead on. Through all of the changes I've under went, from childhood, the teenage years, depression and who I am today, ISFP has always been fitting.

However, I do believe that, as marm described earlier in another thread, ISFP is more like a default mode. I don't think humans are so fixed and rigid that we are incapable of utilizing other functions. Sometimes I seem more like an ESFP, other times, an ESFJ, yet other times INFP or even ISTP. But ultimately, ISFP is always my true reality.

With the enneagram, however... I'm not so confident. I don't know that I can relate to 4w5 in my childhood or teenage years. This is more something that seemed fitting once I got to college and in my adult life. I may have been more of a 9 before, I don't know.

I consider MBTI to describe the way in which one takes in information and then processes that information. The enneagram is more like your fixation or direction of utilizing the mbti tools. I can't see the enneagram as being completely fixed... but perhaps I don't understand it well enough. All I know is, if I were to look at who I was at age 16 that 4w5 would not be a proper fit to me. But maybe the enneagram just takes more time to fully blossom and show than mbti. I could possibly say that my experiences from childhood and the teenage years may have ultimately led me to become a 4w5... but it was those experiences plus traumatic experiences of the late late teens and early twenties that gave that final push.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think I was ever genuinely ever another MBTI type. Whenever I take that brutally honest personality test I always get ENFP...and I've taken it at least five times in the last five years. I also think I'm close on E/I, so sometimes that skews my results. Let's see...I'm also an ENFP on the facebook MBTI (oooh I know, so accurate) and an ENFp in socionics, at least on tests.

NOW, on some Keirsey type tests I get INFJ. I think there are various reasons for this. I think it may have to do with WHAT I THINK I SHOULD BE BECAUSE I WAS RAISED IN A VERY SJ ENVIRONMENT. So sometimes I think I get FJ because I have that feeling as a child of my wicked step-monster breathing over my shoulder telling me what's right and wrong, and that may be why I test INFJ.

For serious.

Also, apparently INFJ is the ENFP shadow so I could go into that under stress, which makes sense. As IndyAnnaJoan pointed out, we behave differently in different situations.

If I look at function theory I appear to be ENFP (functions tests points to clear Ne dominance, with Fi second, and Ni third), as does my behavior over the past fifteen to twenty years of my life.

I think social anxiety could also skew my results toward INFP or INFJ.

But do I think I actually was one concrete type and became a different person? No.

mrconfusion87

MBTI Type
INFP
Haven't changed anything but I'd say if there's anything that can switch it would be my T/F function. In my INFP results, my F is the weakest one! The other three are STRONG! :D

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1) Not really. Now that i understand the functions and how i metabolize information, i don't have much doubt.

2) I used to think i was 6w5. lol ahhh good times haha. i still question my tritype sometimes though

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder how all these "votes" shake out if you factor in for the comments about "when I was a kid/younger"? I assume that many on this forum are not over 25. (Do we have stats on this??)

I am of the opinion that early life (heredity, family of origin, circumstance, etc.) sets us off on a few most likely paths. Without some large trauma or other life changing events, we will end up much like we started, reinforcing early tendencies until they become relatively fixed as a young adult. So in this sense, we may experiment with different personalities or shift in response to events when we are younger. By our early 20's I believe it gets much harder to change at a fundamental level.

That said, I think Enneagram doesn't change after early 20's. I do think one can learn skills and patterns of behavior that would have someone test a different MBTI. Now, did their underlying functions change, or did they just learn to rely on other ones more than their natural tendencies? I will say the latter, but it could still mean that they act, seem and test differently.

I have had rather strong tendencies since a young age, and little to shift them. And so I think I've been the same for quite a long time.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

There was a point in my teens when I was (badly) coping with things by completely repressing every single one of my emotions, and I tested as INTJ. But before and after I've tested as INFP, so I don't think I was ever really any other type. Sometimes I wonder about the different types I could've been if I were the same person with a different life. Or if I met alternate universe me. I think would've made a good ESFP.

Hmm. I don't know. I never took any enneagram tests until very recently and I'm not sure I have enough objective knowledge about myself to categorize past me in this way. But it all changes as a person changes. Or at least, it doesn't have to stay the same.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wonder how all these "votes" shake out if you factor in for the comments about "when I was a kid/younger"? I assume that many on this forum are not over 25. (Do we have stats on this??)

I am of the opinion that early life (heredity, family of origin, circumstance, etc.) sets us off on a few most likely paths. Without some large trauma or other life changing events, we will end up much like we started, reinforcing early tendencies until they become relatively fixed as a young adult. So in this sense, we may experiment with different personalities or shift in response to events when we are younger. By our early 20's I believe it gets much harder to change at a fundamental level.

That said, I think Enneagram doesn't change after early 20's. I do think one can learn skills and patterns of behavior that would have someone test a different MBTI. Now, did their underlying functions change, or did they just learn to rely on other ones more than their natural tendencies? I will say the latter, but it could still mean that they act, seem and test differently.

I have had rather strong tendencies since a young age, and little to shift them. And so I think I've been the same for quite a long time.

I am 45. I don't believe my type has changed, just my perception of myself is clearer as I do inner work and remove ego constructs.

It is clear to me that I have always been a ENFJ. It fits how I have lived even if not how I conceived myself.

I took the official MBTI several times in my early 20s and tested as a ISTP, which makes since I tried to reject feelings as a coping mechanism from childhood. I was never a ISTP, just in the grip of Ti.

As for enneagram, I really am not sure still. 9w8 is in my stack. 2w3 (or 3w2) is there as well. But I still have more work to do on this midlife transformation....

I need to keep seeing myself better.....

OneLovelyAdventure

Gryffindor Prefect
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. My natural P/J distinction is so minuscule that I've tested ENFJ before. However, I've observed that my general preference is slightly P and that I resort to extreme J when I'm stressed, which I frequently am. I've also wondered before if I was INFP because of the amount of alone time I require, but I attribute this to the typical ENFP need to be alone to recenter. (My N and my F are off-the-charts high.) All the other evidence points ENFP -- my way of speaking, my cognitive functions, and pretty much all of the absent-minded/flighty/head-in-the-clouds/can't-start-a-project-for-her-life ENFP stereotypes that exist! :happy2:

2. I used to be certain I was a 7, but now I don't know what I am. I'm definitely either a 2w3 or a 3w2, but I'm not sure. I fit descriptions of both 2 and 3 to a T.

morganelise48

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
When I was younger, I was very 4-ish. Though I'm still not 100% positive on my enneagram, I believe I'm a 6w5. I've tested as 5w4, 9w1, and 1w9. Most recently, and seemingly most accurately, however, 6w5.
As for my MBTI, I was much too detached as an adolescent to even know, to be quite honest. I hated people as a whole, but loved each individual I met. Even though I disliked most of them... I've always been sort of a walking contradiction, so who knows! :)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
When i first did the test(like 8 months before joining the forum) i got an intj and it seemed to fit reasonably well according to the tests description, so i thought i was an intj. But after looking at type theory bit in more depth i quickly realized i was an intp instead.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I used to think I was an INTP. The researching part of the descriptions match, but INTP does not fit me at all.

I'm still not sure on the S/N divide, but I don't randomly "get" things the way high Ni users do.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I got ESTJ and INTJ the first few times i took it. On the surface, my demeanor and the way I communicate can come off TJ-ish but when I reveal my actual thought process and motivations, it's a more calculated, less warm Fe approach.