• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Changes in your MBTI and Enneagram types

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Just curious.

1. Do you think that you were ever (genuinely) another MBTI type?

2. Do you ever think that you were ever another enneagram type?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. Yes. I tested IXTJ for several years consecutively/consistently. Whenever I'm in an academic setting, I seem to be in IXTJ mode. Think: Hermione from Harry Potter, only later, not when she was ultra annoying, although I used to be annoying like that when I was little.

2. No. I was always 1w2.

Zukram.

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
1. Nope. I've read all the type descriptions from every Internet source I could find and taken a bunch of tests; never got any result other than ISTJ. Only thing that ever changed was my level of introversion.

2. I thought for a time that I was 6w5. 1 and 6 are the only enneagram types that come anywhere close to describing me accurately.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
1. No. Although I tested as INFP once, and I can see why with regard to certain areas, and in the past I used to act relatively more INFP-ish, even making major decisions that way but it didn't make me very happy, and with age I have become more ISTJ and am more successful as ISTJ.

2. No. I am 5w4, and in the past acted more 4-ish but it wasn't really right for me, similar to how INFP-ish wasn't right for me, although I had some of those tendencies. By the time I learned about Enneagram I had clarified those issues already so I was never in doubt about being a 5w4.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
1- I have been in various forms of shadow function most of my life. But I have always been an ENFJ, It's tough to be yourself all the time.
INTJ to INTP to ISTP to ISFP to INFP and now I test as INFJ..

And yet I am ENFJ.. Go figure:shrug:

2- I have tested as a 4w5 but I am positive I am 6w5.. my 4,5,6 scores are always very close, usually no more than a point or 2 separating them.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yes. i used to think i was an ENFP 7w6. i'm not sure if i changed or if my understanding of myself did. this was when i was in high school, so i might have felt more pressure to be outgoing/social.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Hmmm just to be clear. I don't mean if you've ever TESTED as another type, I mean do you genuinely think that you've changed types before, this is for both MBTI and enneagram.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1. might have tested ISFP as a child, but children can't really get real results til they're probably 16 or 17...even then it could change.

2. Thought I was a 4, then thought I was a 5...now I think I'm a 9. Who knows.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I was little, I think I could have passed up for an ENFJ in flying colors. In academic settings, I can be an INTJ. When I am in a non-academic setting, yep, INFJ.

I've gone through type 1 and type 6 phases in my life. At the moment I feel closer to type 4, but it's subject to change.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

When first introduced to MBTI I thought I was ISTJ or INTJ. Then I thought INTX for awhile, followed by INXP, then INXX, and I've finally settled on INTP.

At first I thought I was a 1w9 before settling on 5w6.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Hmmm just to be clear. I don't mean if you've ever TESTED as another type, I mean do you genuinely think that you've changed types before, this is for both MBTI and enneagram.

My point was.. you can't genuinely change type. You just go into shadow and it can look very different from your true type.
Other times situations force you to use functions outside of your preference. Over a long period of time this might become habit.. but it's still not the same as preference.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
My point was.. you can't genuinely change type. You just go into shadow and it can look very different from your true type.
Other times situations force you to use functions outside of your preference. Over a long period of time this might become habit.. but it's still not the same as preference.

I fundamentally disagree, though I assumed that's the position a lot of people have. It's not easy but with some major changes in life personalities definitely change. I'm convinced that I'm was an INFP as a child and if you think about it, that's not such a bit change, on all accounts. Ne and Fi just swapped places. I was very much introverted, very much socially anxious and awkward. I spent a lot of my lunch-times and school bus trips alone with my thoughts. It wasn't until I moved to New Zealand that I was forced to be more extroverted, to have any friends at all. Till this day, I am convinced that I am an ENFP.

My ennegram type however has always been the same - type 4w3. This is also why I created this thread in the first place ;)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i agree here about not changing types... that's kinda the point of personality psych, after all. to identify and study the parts of our identities which stay stable over time.

1. you would have sworn up and down that i was an INFP as a younger child, but i feel like this was probably more due to my environment than anything. i guess i did like team sports and butting in people's conversations to ask questions an abnormal amount for your average INFP. :laugh:

2. screw the enneagram, it's really confusing, lol. i probably seemed more like a 4w3 as a kid than the 3w4 i currently think i am - though in truth, i have always had 3w4 core drives - that i seek self-definition and self-awareness for the sake of being successful and fulfilled. i think this goes perfectly hand-in-hand with moving from INFP to ENFP, and again, it very likely has been more about environment than my own default preferences.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No & No. I tested INTP for years, but never accepted it. Not until I learned what Fi was did I really identify with a type. I've always tested 4 or 5, leaning towards 4. Sometimes I questioned if I was 5w4 instead of 4w5, but that's about it. I don't think type changes either. I think people test wrong or develop atypical behavior for their type, probably in response to something in their environment. INFP 4w5 is the mindset I have always had, as far back as I can remember.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I thought I was an ENTP once....I'm just weird ENFP I guess.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INFP -> major depression/breakdown in personality -> reconstruction -> INTP.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I disagree with those who say you can't change type. Why not? After giving it a bit of thought, I was probably XNXP as a child. I'm not so sure about my I and E. I was more adventurous than I was contemplative, whereas now it's the other way around. I really don't see any reason someone can't change type. Someone's environment can cause them to change the way they think, and sometimes it can just happen naturally. An ISFJ may one day feel they are tired of living a settled, progressive life and feel like just having fun, so they turn into an ESFP and forget all there troubles. It is unlikely this would ever happen instantaneously, except perhaps in case of a traumatic event, but over time I think it is entirely possible to change how you judge and percieve.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
ummm...I took one of those "kid" MBTI tests based upon my memories of myself when I was little and I got INJ child. I also tested INFJ when I was seventeen...I remember being displeased with the result because J meant "Judging" :laugh: I remember that INFP seemed more appealing to me, like it was mystical or something.

I consistently tested INFJ, even at points in my life where my behavior actually seemed MUCH more ExxP than it does right now. However, on other tests I have gotten INFP and ENFP.

I identify most strongly with Fi, not Fe, through function theory...which makes me an xNFP. My value system is just not Fe enough. I may use some Fe, but it is NOT my preferred function, so I can't be INFJ in terms of function theory.

HOWEVER, apparently I seem IxFJ to some people in person.

All of this would seem to point to INFJ, but broken down into Ni/Fe/Ti/Se...NO WAY. Especially the Fe and the Ti. I identify much more strongly with Fi and Te.

Not only that, but I'm quite openly expressive, though I'm not especially social and spend plenty of time alone. I'm a borderline I/E but ....yeah.

This isn't an exact science. If you try to make it into one you might end up tearing your hair out.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Just curious.

No; I believe that if you understand the cognitive basis of MBTI rather than drivel tests then you will understand your 'lifelong type'. This in my view would only change with a mental breakdown and personality reconstruction.

Yes, possibly a 5 instead of a 6 and maybe even a 4 before that. Then again, enneagram theory says we move clockwise around the types soooo... hmm.

Just wait, when I become a 7 I'm buying a Porsche :D.