User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    However, cognition is not a conscious preference. It's a preference meaning orientation - your brain is pretty much going to automatically default to its preferred way of thinking; under stress this can include your inferior functions which can make you seem very different. What you can end up with are two people displaying similar behavior for very different reasons. That ISFJ who wants to party all the time may have their ENTP party hat on . Believe it or not, the ISFJ who likes to socialize & entertain, but is still responsible, has likely developed Fe better. The aux function "parents" the dominant one, which I take to mean helps it grow to maturity, so a person becomes more well-rounded. My ISFJ mom seems ESFJ-ish at times because her Fe is strongly apparent in social situations, although Si is still quite clearly her dominant way of thinking.

The likelihood of changing the orientation of your brain seems slim to none; I think Jung asserted that cognitive function is pretty much innate.
    I know what you mean but that's not quite what I meant. I think sometimes you just look at your direction in life and decide that it no longer fits you. It could just be your functions slowly getting stronger/weaker and your type just shifts and things don't fit anymore. In this case, the ISFJ finds that being responsible and future orientated no longer feels right and is not fulfilling them, so they just forget about their future and go have fun all the time, presumably just sticking with whatever job they currently have or maybe moving to something that now suits them better. Or conversely an ESFP who decides they need to get their act into gear and can't handle all the partying anymore and decide to think ahead and so on...

You know what I mean? I mean for MOST people they probably stay the same with perhaps a slight shift, but I don't think your personality is set entirely in stone. And I think this can be natural as well as forced, as even though one type CAN act like another in order to fit in, I think that sometimes enough persuasion can make it their natural state, and so when their lifestyle changes again, they aren't the same person they were before, and it's evident.

But if anyone has any information on studies relating to this, I would enjoy reading them.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Your type is only a label you apply to your self-image, and both your self-image and the categories you throw it under can undergo change. Anyone who has asked themselves whether their type is static has already tacitly admitted this, because in order to entertain the question in the first place, "yes" has to be a possibility under consideration, the reason being that this possibility is presumed in the question itself. After answering that question, a person may then decide that the answer is "no" and forget all about the possibility of it being "yes," but the moment they enter a discussion like this and try to prove their case, that possibility once again rears its head, in the manner already described.

Anyway, I don't think that my type has ever changed. From the earliest age I can remember, I was an Ni-dom: very mystical as a young person, with an almost seer-like quality, and prone to see myself as psychic or somehow in tune with the hidden. I can also see a great deal of the interpersonal emotionality and perfectionism that you get with Fe, although that side of me has fallen to the wayside in recent years, thanks to a mix of depression and being isolated from society.

In spite of that, I could see myself scoring as other types of NFs when I was younger. As a teenager, I wanted to see myself as outgoing and self-confident, and I hated it when people called me quiet. I also had very few of the stereotypical characteristics of a J; I was woefully irresponsible, had no particular love for plans, and could easily out-mess a hurricane. The only way in which my J would have been obvious was in terms of my demeanor and dealings with people, which are things that tests don't usually take account of when measuring J.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

Probably like many here, I think I've forced myself to be more extroverted at times (sort of subconsciously/out of necessity.. thinking it was required of me).

In private, I like to entertain the future, ideals.. and I would consider myself well rounded and sensitive. Yet out in the "real world", it's possible to drop some of that. One day, I'm kind to a bum, the next day I'm grumbling about the sight of him. One day, I'm trying to defuse a situation and people think of me as "too kind". The next, I cut to the chase and get pretty "efficient" with people. I haven't gotten into a fight in years, but I'm under the impression that I deal with them easier than some I*F*'s (not to stereotype). I think I'm Fe-Ti, the more I consider it.

Enneagram wise, I type as 4 or 6 (4 more often). Sometimes 9. Sometimes I think I'm just frustrated when I'm in 4 mode, and wonder if it's really me. Ideally, I'd like to be a 9, but that'd be a stretch.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i agree with you, though i wonder if often we think that we used to be some type and simply didn't recognize that it was reasonable function use for our current type.

i experienced the same perception that i was Fi dom when i was younger, but, after all, Fi is Judging, internal, and, for me, the "supportive parent", which means it will be fairly visible. on the other hand, sometimes it can be easy to overlook your dom if it's a Perceiving function because it's more like an "ocean" that you swim in. i never realized the ridiculous extent to which i was N (though it always was my strongest letter in testing) until i learned what Ne was and what you see with it. Fi seems more prominent through my childhood, however, because i wrestled with it more. Ne was just... well, like swimming. it was simple and natural. i thought everyone thought like that.

so while i can understand someone who had amnesia or a mental breakdown of sorts having the possibility of restructuring (though i still doubt they'd move far from their type), i would venture to guess that for most people who think they've changed types, especially since childhood, it could be useful to look more closely at function order and see if perhaps one of the functions was most visible for whatever reason, and later moved to the background.

as far as the connection between neurology and type... well, personally i've gotta leave that to the neurologists i would love to see it studied, though.
    I agree. As a child, my imaginative side was what I was most aware of. I was so one with my feelings that they were just ME. My concern was with creative expression, with little interest in relationships. Really, Ne was "parenting" Fi to take baby steps to be able to form relationships & values - taking in info and learning how to express.

It was not until my late teens that I began to develop an attitude more stereotypically reflective of Fi - displaying compassion & empathy, actually caring about people instead of just exploring ideas. Being aware of values that transcended myself & my own needs. It was really Ne developing, not my Fi - it developed enough to give my Fi more perspective, to make it more visible.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

I was definitely an INTP before I had to become social. I still have remanence of that personality left in me.

Sometimes I wonder if I was an enneagram 1 when I was a child just because I was under heavy conservative, absolutist Christianity influence. That kind of Christianity corresponds well with the description of an unhealthy enneagram 1.

I used to think I was an ISFJ, but that's just because I didn't get N vs. S. I don't think I was ever actually an ISFJ.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    Just curious.

1. Do you think that you were ever (genuinely) another MBTI type?

2. Do you ever think that you were ever another enneagram type?
    No. Well, not since I had a discernible personality at least.

I keep getting it wrong, though.

But it's only because I can't figure out which types are the best descriptions.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

No for both. I was just simply wrong and had a misguided understanding of myself and the systems.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    Just curious.

1. Do you think that you were ever (genuinely) another MBTI type?

2. Do you ever think that you were ever another enneagram type?
    MBTI... No. I have always been and identify strongly as an INTP however until recently I thought I was a type 5 Enneagram based on shitty online tests and no understanding of the system. Until the past months or so I had never given the Enneagram much serious thought...

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by copperfish17 View Post
    INFP -> major depression/breakdown in personality -> reconstruction -> INTP.
    I strongly feel that Ive changed from an INTP to an INFP after a several years bout of depression. Ar you saying this happened to you too?