User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 84

  1. #11
    Senior Member Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    ENTP are often big thinkers with a social comedian persona, or a variation of the theme. Does anyone find it a bit surprising that there's more than 1 side to a person?

    As I've seen it, ENXPs can be quite similar. It's usual to see emotional, people-loving technical ENTPs as well as ENFPs. After all, their T and F functions are in secondary and tertiary positions, just places and intro/extroversion switched.

    Yeah, ENXP's play may be the most superficial kind there is.. it's publicly so, it's an act.. entertainment.. it's a parody on what's superficial. It may be over-the-top. ENTP's are masters of systems, they're confident with extraversion, whimsical, spontaneous, so it's natural they choose a superficial act as their "funny mode" behaviour.

    I think ENFP's are closer to their core identity in their "people" mode, funny random things (Ne) depending on what people feel (secondary Fi), giving less reason to blame them about superficiality. ENTP's public funny act works more with Ne Fe, of which Fe is superficial, and it's use is somewhat planned with Ti.

    ENTP's core is not superficial in the least, it's quite ok contemplating with charts, books and all the esoteric information for as long as it needs, no matter how difficult or obscure it would be - as long as there's a reason to do it, and for ENTP, there often is.

    Then again, ENFP's core (Ne Fi) is a bit more people-dependent than that of ENTP. Whereas both can do their information-gathering via books and other media, T-like experimentation is less reliant on people than experimenting with F. So, ENFP probably feels more reason to spend time with people, giving rise to suspicions it's them that's actually the more superficial one.

    So all in all, they're both very much ideas persons, with their interests having a wide range from profound to the superficial - I'd say more so than all other types.
    So now all feeling is superficial. Please dude, this is armchair theorizing and bulshit.

    Yea, hello again Blackwater, I never saw you by the time I got to that other thread about ENFPs. So everyone you call an ENFP is superficial (in your extremely biased perspective). I say 'everyone you call an ENFP', because I really think that, judging by your previous comments, you don't know nearly enough about type to say 'I know an ____ who...' and have me take it seriously.
    Now seriously, what is this thread about? I already had to read about your stupid beef with supposed ENFP's, and now you want to prop up your house of cards on some 'single standard' arguement. Well, it doesn't work my friend because no type expert says that ENTP's are superficial. I don't think ENTPs are superficial. Wherever that came from (your ass?) please just get rid of it.

  2. #12
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    I don't get why people are getting ratty about this thread. To me the OP seemed to be saying: "many people [not necessarily experts or anything, I've just heard it bandied about a lot] say that ENTP's are superficial. But ENTP's have a lot in common with ENFP's and the things ENTP's do that people wrongly label superficial, ENFP's do as well. So how come ENTP's get all this misunderstanding, whilst ENFP's apparently don't?"

    And the simple answer would be: better social skills, they put fewer people's backs up!

    But whatever tones of anti-ENFP judgement people have picked up on must've flown over my head... cos I just ain't seein' any... Badly worded posts, yeah, sure, but not ENFP-hate...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  3. #13
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Superficiality is one of those words that has a thousand different meanings. I think ENTP, however, ranks pretty high on the list. N and S are superficial in their own ways. Ne suggests impractical ideas and never follows through, because it's in its nature to be constantly on the lookout for newness. The ESxP, however, wants new experiences, and so can seem aimless.

    I think superficiality is mainly traits of ExxP.

  4. #14
    filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    3,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    So now all feeling is superficial. Please dude, this is armchair theorizing and bulshit.
    You're drawing too wild conclusions from that post of mine. Why don't you take a chill pill and not imagine the worst of anything?

    I already said ENFP's "people act" is closer to their core than that of ENTP's, because it's Fe (ENTP's tertiary) that's often accused of being superficial, although opinions vary. ENFP on the other hand does not have Fe in the standard model, negating any claims of superficiality.

    Reading other points you'd also find that I wasn't armchair theorizing in favor of ENFP's superficiality at all, I was just doing a comparison and finding both ENXP's both deep and capable of showing the signs of superficiality.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #15
    Senior Member Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    You're drawing too wild conclusions from that post of mine. Why don't you take a chill pill and not imagine the worst of anything?

    This treat is on me.

    I'm going nuts because Blackwater appears to be at it again.

    Now (adressing everyone), from what I remember, the thread "ENFX hypocracy" was plenty mean and discriminating, so I don't see why to claim that ENFPS didn't get some kind of 'proportional punishment' (seriously, I find this threads to be bizarre).

    In the end, it's not very important. Drawing conclusions about type from posts on these previous threads is problematic and probably wrong.

    Again, I don't think ENTPs are superficial. Jungian John Beebe is an ENTP.

  6. #16
    filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    3,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    I wasn't talking about your post. I was talking about blackwater. I'm going nuts because Blackwater appears to be at it again.
    I'm again shamed for having my first message quoted before I got to correct it

    Yep I don't think we're superficial, we just do good PR, or at least try to
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #17
    Senior Member Blackwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ERTP
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Oh Gabe

    In Vietnam they have this custom that if a person can present his case calmly then anybody who cannot respond to that case in the same calm manner has shamed himself. Sometimes, I really wish that this was the case in the West as well. If it was, then I wouldn't need to take the time to bitch-slap in into your place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    So everyone you call an ENFP is superficial
    You're wrong there. What I wrote was that "I know quite a few ENFPs IRL and almost all of them have this tendency" . But of course the details of a particular post do have a tendency to blur out if your approach to reading is a little... superficial :rolli:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    I say 'everyone you call an ENFP', because I really think that, judging by your previous comments, you don't know nearly enough about type to say 'I know an ____ who...' and have me take it seriously.
    See the funny thing about psychology is that there's rarely any final truth. As such, there's nothing I can say to make your definitively believe me. But it's funny how you appear to be completely unmoved by the other posters who seem to know exactly what I am talking about. If it's merely my judgment that's off, then why are half the posters in this thread offering similar stories?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    you want to prop up your house of cards on some 'single standard' arguement. Well, it doesn't work my friend because no type expert says that ENTP's are superficial.
    "Naturally, this attitude [Ne] holds great dangers, for all to easily, the intuitive may fritter away his life on things and people, spreading about him an abundance of life which others life and not he himself. If only he could stay put, he would reap the fruits of his labour; but always he must be running after a new possiblity, quitting his newly planted fields while other gather in the harvest. In the end, he goes away empty." Jung: Psychological Types - Revised by F.C. Hull, Princeton Press - p. 369

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    Wherever that came from (your ass?) please just get rid of it.
    It came from taking in data and interpreting it. Believe it or not, people sometimes do that when they're not being superficial.

    Also, your immature ad hominem attacks seem to pretty much confirm what Substitute said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Substitute
    He [an ENFP] uses quite random (apparently) and circular arguments, using value judgements and stuff to present the alternatives as: 1 - do as I say and everyone will be happy and you'll be a good person or 2 - don't do as I say, but then you'll be mean and selfish and nobody will like you.
    So consider yourself bitch-slapped by Blackwater, your new bitch-master
    best collection of philosopher typings online

    http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

  8. #18
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    So now all feeling is superficial. Please dude, this is armchair theorizing and bulshit.

    Yea, hello again Blackwater, I never saw you by the time I got to that other thread about ENFPs. So everyone you call an ENFP is superficial (in your extremely biased perspective). I say 'everyone you call an ENFP', because I really think that, judging by your previous comments, you don't know nearly enough about type to say 'I know an ____ who...' and have me take it seriously.
    Now seriously, what is this thread about? I already had to read about your stupid beef with supposed ENFP's, and now you want to prop up your house of cards on some 'single standard' arguement. Well, it doesn't work my friend because no type expert says that ENTP's are superficial. I don't think ENTPs are superficial. Wherever that came from (your ass?) please just get rid of it.
    Sheesh, and here I thought I was a bit too confrontational, but you put my confrontational capacities to shame!!!!

    I must admit, however, when stripped of its personal attacks, and general tone of meanness, all in all, I agree with the points you assert.

  9. #19
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    i know a few ENFPs who are superficial in certain social situations. but none of them are superficial with me. and my best friend, an ENFP, is like literally incapable of being superficial. her Fi won't allow it or something.

    ENTPs seem capable of being superficial when they rely on their slightly underdeveloped Fe. my ENTP ex joined a sorority and spent the last year and a half being superficial before she got fed up and left.

    but honestly, i don't think there's that strong of a correlation (if at all) between ENPs and superficiality.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Oh Gabe

    In Vietnam they have this custom that if a person can present his case calmly then anybody who cannot respond to that case in the same calm manner has shamed himself. Sometimes, I really wish that this was the case in the West as well. If it was, then I wouldn't need to take the time to bitch-slap in into your place.



    You're wrong there. What I wrote was that "I know quite a few ENFPs IRL and almost all of them have this tendency" . But of course the details of a particular post do have a tendency to blur out if your approach to reading is a little... superficial :rolli:



    See the funny thing about psychology is that there's rarely any final truth. As such, there's nothing I can say to make your definitively believe me. But it's funny how you appear to be completely unmoved by the other posters who seem to know exactly what I am talking about. If it's merely my judgment that's off, then why are half the posters in this thread offering similar stories?



    "Naturally, this attitude [Ne] holds great dangers, for all to easily, the intuitive may fritter away his life on things and people, spreading about him an abundance of life which others life and not he himself. If only he could stay put, he would reap the fruits of his labour; but always he must be running after a new possiblity, quitting his newly planted fields while other gather in the harvest. In the end, he goes away empty." Jung: Psychological Types - Revised by F.C. Hull, Princeton Press - p. 369



    It came from taking in data and interpreting it. Believe it or not, people sometimes do that when they're not being superficial.

    Also, your immature ad hominem attacks seem to pretty much confirm what Substitute said:



    So consider yourself bitch-slapped by Blackwater, your new bitch-master
    So, in your world, if I get mad at you again I'm somehow already wrong or something. Well, fuck that shit.

    Anyway, honestly, the 'behaviors' that you've described about SUPPOSED ENFPs don't neccisarily match the Jung quote.
    I also think the way you try to 'reverse diagnose' this stuff is extremely problematic. Jung didn't end that passage with 'the converse is also true', and as it so happens, the converse is NOT true. I mean, that's why it never bothers me that Von franz talks about the inferior function and one's problems in life.

    I still don't know what you think the injustice is here about talking about ENTPs vs. ENFPs. And it's based on some comments on this thread? Please. D'you really think that people are easier on ENFPs or something?

    Now, people 'agreeing with you' means nothing. I just saw Jung 'agree' with you. All I see is a bandwagon.

    As for what substitude said, I happen to think despite what your preferences are (or mine), my response was perfectly logical, if also angry, and instead of apreciating that you decided to split hairs.
    Last edited by Gabe; 01-22-2008 at 11:25 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] ENFP + ENTP = Disaster
    By alh528 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 08:41 PM
  2. Is this guy an ENFP, ENTP, or other?
    By Thalassa in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 02:01 PM
  3. [ENFP] ENFPs/ENTPs and commitments
    By ergophobe in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 10:36 PM
  4. [ENFP] ENFP-ENTP friendships
    By mtaclof in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 11:26 AM
  5. enfp & entp
    By targobelle in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-21-2007, 09:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO