User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Default Borderline letter = Borderline function?

Hey!

I was wondering, if you're let's say borderline INFP/INTP, will you have equally strong Ti and Fi? But less strong if you were a strong F or T? Or it's impossible?

And btw, is there any other functions test than keys2cognition thingy?

Thanks

From what I understand, you couldn't use both judging functions at the same time. I suppose it's possible to be a Fi dom, start off making a decision in that manner, and then clarify/articulate your thoughts in a Ti manner. Or vice versa. I don't notice when/if people are doing that though.

The only other test I know of that somewhat tests for specific functions (although not in an overt way) is the "MMDI" (click the link that says "long test".. the results at the end will show function placement).

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

I definitely feel that I have a good Ti, even if it's weaker than my Fi. I use NeTi all the time and the more I read about Ti, the more I think I use it. It's also why I've come to disagree with the standard order of functions. So in short, yes, I don't know if the classic theories allow for this but it's definitely the case for me.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

What do you mean by 'strong' here? I like to think of 'strong' as in how strong an influence that function has on your decision-making. So, someone with exactly 50/50 T/F will have an equal preference to T and F.

Imagine having 2 friends giving you advice. 50/50 means you have a 50% chance of listening to any one of them. 60/40 means 60% probability of listening to the first friend, and so on...

Remember though that preference does not equal to skill. You may have a 50/50 preference for T and F but that doesn't mean you're equally good at 'using' them.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^^ i like that explanation.

though it's kind of weird for INFP/INTP to have high Ti/Fi, because even just looking at their first four functions and discarding the rest of supposed function order:

Fi Ne Si Te (INFP)
    Ti Ne Si Fe (INTP)

T and F are so low on each other's respective lists that it would be rather surprising to find it, in the opposite attitude no less, almost as high in preference as their dominant. even if we switched Si for Te/Fe it still is only tertiary, which is far from the dominant. and that's not to say it can't happen, just that it's probably rather unlikely - i would be more willing to bet that someone is mistaking Ti for Fi or vice versa than that they are actually using both Ti and Fi strongly. or perhaps even that they're ENP and having a hard time figuring it out because they have a strong tertiary.

speaking of, T/F confusion is not as weird for ENFP/ENTP, because our function order goes

Ne Fi Te Si (ENFP)
    Ne Ti Fe Si (ENTP)

so not only are Fi/Ti not dominant, but Te/Fe are our tertiaries, so it's easier to see how we could develop Ti or Fi which is closer to being balanced with our auxiliary (though again i would check and make sure someone is not really just using Te/Fe and mistaking it for Ti/Fi).

by the same token, of course, it's easier to see an INP being near the boundary in N/S, as opposed to T/F. the dominant function usually is so clear to people that, unless they're simply mistaking it for the complementary same-attitude function, it's unlikely to be nearly a true ambivert on it.

of course, all of this is theoretical. i have no idea if actual statistics support it.

oh and here's a test i like - http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/as...velop_old.html. it's too obvious for some people's taste but i think it helps differentiate. the submit link is broken though - just go through and count up your tick marks.

MBTI
    INTP

I had some thought before that functions balanced each other, something like

If you got 98% Ti you got 2% Fi.
    Same if with all the other pairs.

This makes the shadow theory useless though.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Shadow theory isn't about relative strengths of the functions, it's about complexes associated with the functions, that are either conscious or less conscious.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Shadow theory isn't about relative strengths of the functions, it's about complexes associated with the functions, that are either conscious or less conscious.
    Yeah, but isnt functions a fixed state of mind, not something fluid if the limits are so clear?

What I was thinking is that they are blended to a degree.

Which I dont think would be possible if they where fixed.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I believe even functions have fluidity to them. They're perspectives, not hard, solid things as we often fall into speaking of them as.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

I tend to fall in between NiFe and NiTe, but in most situations, I cannot "use" Te and Fe at the same time. If I am interacting with a close friend of mine, I will end up naturally using Fe more than Te. In a science lab, however, I will end up switching gears to Te mode.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche