User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned

Default How to type a stranger quickly?

What questions can you ask a total stranger to get a reasonably accurate sense of what their mbti type is and not have it be weird?

Would it be better to ask questions that concentrate on cognitive functions, temperaments or the individual axes?

Ideally I'm looking for a series of questions that enables me to type a person I have never met before with some degree of accuracy. I've been concentrating on each of the individual scales although I'm not opposed to any system that works. So far I have found it nearly impossible to gauge any of the scales except for one (J-P) with confidence.

I'll post a quick overview of the system I've developed to evaluate the J-P scale.....

Ask for opinions. Ask the person you are trying to type to give you his or her opinion about something in the immediate environment. Questions such as "Do you like this song?" or "Do you like this professor?" are perfect. If the person shows signs of feeling uncomfortable then that is perhaps an indication of P'ness. (lol....) The opposite is true. Also look for what I have come to call the Judge-Justify location. J's are much more likely to judge then justify their positions. P's on the other hand are more likely to justify then judge.

Feel free to add to, subtract from, critique, support etc anything I've written about this method.

I really need help with questions that evaluate the other axes. Post question and explain why different sides of the scale would give different answers (or react differently).

oh..and hey. First post here...although I do post infrequently at intpcentral.

Ask them whether they use brown or yellow mustard on their food.
    Works every time.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

the ONLY way to type someone on physical behavior (meaning without giving them a test), is by using the Kiersey methods. This is because traditional MBTI really is about thought process and not so much actions. Trying to pin down a Ne action vs a Te + Ni action, or a Fe + Ni vs Fi action...can be impossible. So instead theorists have taken the individual types and have comes up with different outward manifestations (thus how STPs are directing types even they are not Js!).

I prefer to use the interaction styles crossed with temperaments. I posted a really nice quick and dirty method somewhere on this forum...

INTERACTION STYLE
    initiating vs responding
    directing vs informing

TEMPERAMENT:
    motive vs structure:
    pragmatic vs affiliative

you say "auch" like you are in big pain and if they immediately respond with empathy they are Fe users.
    if they grab themself for their stomach they are Fi users.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Punch them...see their reaction.
    Oh, its
    You

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Do some Sherlock Holmes type deduction. Here are some things I am REASONABLY sure will be REASONABLY good indicators of type.

Tan lines where swimwear would likely go may be suggestive of S, particularly ES.

Crazy hair is a sign of P, particularly NP.

By self in public is suggestive of I.

Watch is somewhat suggestive of J.

N's (mainly INs and almost definitely not ENJ) will likely be paying less attention to what they're wearing, as will some SP's. If someone is wearing a T-shirt with something like this on it:

You can be reasonably confident they're probably NT.

Coloured hair suggests P and tattoos are more common in SPs.

Well... I'm not sure but I think that's some things to look out for. All are just guidelines though.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

I can't disagree with the tattoos and SPs.
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

What if they are like me and they don't like mustard?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Ask them whether they use brown or yellow mustard on their food.
    Works every time.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

my suggestion on the question on how to type strangers quickly? don't... what's the point? get to know the person before judging them
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Oh. No.
    I can type strangers quickly. Other than the letter "n," all of the other letters are typed with the left hand. So... ready, get set, go!!!
    Type "strangers."

strangers

4:39 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    my suggestion on the question on how to type strangers quickly? don't... what's the point? get to know the person before judging them
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.