User Tag List

123 Last

Default Where does Introverts' energy come from?

If someone is typically drained by face-to-face interaction, but uses their "alone" time to recharge their batteries either talking on the phone, reading, watching a movie, or on the Internet, does this make them more likely to be I or E?

What about if they include in their recharging time running errands alone, but in places where they know they'll bump into people they know and have brief chats along the way?

Do true Introverts get their energy in a different way, that doesn't involve any external stimulation (including reading a book or watching a movie)?

Thanks.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Ya mum.

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Okay, that was random. But anyway... um...

Well personally as an introvert I like to engage in impersonal hobbies that interest me such as internet timewasting, reading, writing and stuff but sometimes I just lie or sit down and think for hours on end. This is more INTP though and I don't think it makesyou extroverted to get enjoyment from external stimulus, particularly at the mild level of books and film. It just means you don't want TOO much of it.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

For me, all social situations where I have to "watch myself" are straining. If there is no one to see me, I don't have to behave, so it is like a rest for me. People who don't care how I behave are also soothing. This is all in the back of my mind, though... I don't try to behave but just can't help it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Give me introvert power now, I am yawning too much at the moment. probably sugar. I wish there was a drink called insta introvert pick me up. For all those drainage days that squeeze the life outta ya, just drink el natural minty flavour. none of these pep coffee drinks thanks. Yeah its source energy and that energy gives you a zing a ling a ding. A spring a ling a ning. A swing a sing a long. nah. meh. something in the water. must regain vitality.

I can stand in a crowd all day and blink. Although I would feel confined and would feel like I need some air. I suppose its just having a quiet space to ourselves. I know when i want to have time to myself favourite place is the toilet or outdoors. but usually people smoke there so i find neglected steps where i can sit creepily away from the crowds to reconnect with my inner introvert. then get back up bright and bubbly, well in particle degrees.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

From the Nexus:

Which plays following music when you approach him:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTDYWQFCSD0"].[/YOUTUBE]

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I like to sit and think, or lie down and think. Looks like I'm snoozing but I'm not, LOL. People who don't require anything from me are also good. I just reliesed all my close friends are introverts too...hmmm. Spending time with loved ones shooting teh breeze, and talking crap. I find running errands tiring though. Going for long walks is good especially when some thing is on my mind, watching cheesey dvds, writing, painting, pondering, reading...anything that doesn't involve people. I kinda have to do a reset every once in a while and process events, and rearrange thought patterns. It's more about having space to process. I get to the point where I have to withdraw and stop the stimilus in order to process what's gone on before.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    I like to sit and think, or lie down and think. Looks like I'm snoozing but I'm not, LOL. People who don't require anything from me are also good. I just reliesed all my close friends are introverts too...hmmm. Spending time with loved ones shooting teh breeze, and talking crap. I find running errands tiring though. Going for long walks is good especially when some thing is on my mind, watching cheesey dvds, writing, painting, pondering, reading...anything that doesn't involve people. I kinda have to do a reset every once in a while and process events, and rearrange thought patterns. It's more about having space to process. I get to the point where I have to withdraw and stop the stimilus in order to process what's gone on before.
    It's been a while since I've read such a long post about ones self in which I can fully relate to absolutely everything. There is not a single feature here that isn't present in myself, with the possible exception of cheesy DVDs, as I usually prefer ones with more substance. All my close friends are introverts as well. And I too have the thing where it looks like I'm snoozing but I'm just thinking. Sometimes my parents come into my room, see me lying on my couch with my eyes closed in the dark and my head under a pillow, lying in a fetal position, and think I am depressed. This is sometimes true, but often I am just lost in a world of my imagination and analysis of everything. Unfortunately at the moment, my couch is covered in stuff, and I'm too lazy to get rid of it, so I have to stick with my lousy bed, which due to my laziness also, is usually sandy and does not feel as comfortable for non-sleeping things.

Thanks for your responses. Some excellent food for thought.

So...are you saying that some interactions don't in fact drain you -- with people with whom you don't have to worry about how you act? I call those "low maintenance" people. The few people -- very close friends, perhaps family -- who you are totally comfortable with. Is that right? Or would a true introvert be drained by even these interactions?

And, are you saying as well that as an introvert you need time alone to process information, not simply to recharge your batteries? Is this always the case?

Thanks. Very interesting comments! I haven't found a thorough explanation of how one truly "recharges" as an introvert.

MBTI
    INFP

My mind.