User Tag List

First 123 Last

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by psyche View Post
    Thanks for your responses. Some excellent food for thought.

So...are you saying that some interactions don't in fact drain you -- with people with whom you don't have to worry about how you act? I call those "low maintenance" people. The few people -- very close friends, perhaps family -- who you are totally comfortable with. Is that right? Or would a true introvert be drained by even these interactions?

And, are you saying as well that as an introvert you need time alone to process information, not simply to recharge your batteries? Is this always the case?

Thanks. Very interesting comments! I haven't found a thorough explanation of how one truly "recharges" as an introvert.
    No, no. You don't really recharge an introvert. Cuz the social energy, it's like heat. You don't have hot and cold, just hot and less hot. We naturally have a lower social temperature and if we get it too high through exposure to social heat, we get sweaty and tired and sick. So we have to go into a cool room with a fan of calmness so our heat can be expelled from our bodies and we are back at our natural temperature. Sometimes social interactions and activities are of perfectly mild temperature and we are capable of engaging in them for long periods of time without overheating.

Extraverts have a higher natural temperature and therefore require higher expposure to the heat of social interactions and exciting activity or else they get a cold or frostbite.

And before you ask, yes I did pull that out of my arse.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

If you tell yourself things long enough as an introvert, you do believe them one day right ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    If you tell yourself things long enough as an introvert, you do believe them one day right ?
    Vhat?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

We talk about that again in 10 years
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by psyche View Post
    So...are you saying that some interactions don't in fact drain you -- with people with whom you don't have to worry about how you act? I call those "low maintenance" people. The few people -- very close friends, perhaps family -- who you are totally comfortable with. Is that right?
    For me, that's how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsherlockholmes View Post
    No, no. You don't really recharge an introvert. Cuz the social energy, it's like heat. You don't have hot and cold, just hot and less hot. We naturally have a lower social temperature and if we get it too high through exposure to social heat, we get sweaty and tired and sick. So we have to go into a cool room with a fan of calmness so our heat can be expelled from our bodies and we are back at our natural temperature. Sometimes social interactions and activities are of perfectly mild temperature and we are capable of engaging in them for long periods of time without overheating.

Extraverts have a higher natural temperature and therefore require higher expposure to the heat of social interactions and exciting activity or else they get a cold or frostbite.
    In that case, I am no pure introvert. Or I am ignoring the over-heating...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by pysche
    So...are you saying that some interactions don't in fact drain you -- with people with whom you don't have to worry about how you act? I call those "low maintenance" people. The few people -- very close friends, perhaps family -- who you are totally comfortable with. Is that right?
    extraverts have these kind of people too being extraverted doesn't mean you're never concerned about how you act socially, or that social interactions don't eventually wear on you. i have a touch of social anxiety and sometimes i need to escape, too, just to chill out.

the real difference is that my primary focus lies outside of me, scanning external information, and that (being my first cognitive function) comes at the lowest energy cost for me. it's less tiring to look outside than to look in - but EFJs, for example, are usually more into people than ENPs, because their dominant extraverted function is Fe - people interaction - while ours is Ne - pattern scanning.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    For me, all social situations where I have to "watch myself" are straining. If there is no one to see me, I don't have to behave, so it is like a rest for me. People who don't care how I behave are also soothing. This is all in the back of my mind, though... I don't try to behave but just can't help it.
    +1
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    For me, all social situations where I have to "watch myself" are straining. If there is no one to see me, I don't have to behave, so it is like a rest for me. People who don't care how I behave are also soothing. This is all in the back of my mind, though... I don't try to behave but just can't help it.
    Good point, I never really put it that way to myself. I hate being in a crowd, I lost focus and get worn out rather quickly, especially if its somewhere new with people I dont know, I start to become hyper self aware of the vibe I am putting out, the way I am appearing to everyone else, and what they're thinking about me and I just hate it... I explained this to my GF and told her I am an introvert, she gets that, but she doesn't get how in a small group I can be energized and feel good, I guess its because like you said, if I am with people who love/understand me, I am not quite so self conscious and aware of what I am doing, I just act more like I do when I am alone. And as a result I dont get quite so worn out, and if I am with my gf alone, its ultra soothing, because I have just the right mix of interaction and social-ness but I am comfortable enough to be myself, so it has a sort of synergy type of feeling thats very easy to process and digest as it unfolds, whereas out in public there is just too much to swallow and my "processor" cant keep up and I need to retreat away to give it time to catch up.
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    ISTP

From within lol
    Weathergirl: District 38 is sunny. Slight rock showers this morning. Chance of rock showers into the afternoon—20 percent. District 39 is cloudy. Chance of rock showers this afternoon—10 percent.
    Edward: Bebop here here! Alright woo hoo!
    Weathergirl: Chance of rock showers today upgraded to 90 percent.
    Edward: Really.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
    From within lol
    Yes, I get my energy from within, too. External interactions tend to sap it, some more than others. As others have mentioned, needing to use or deal with less-preferred functions is a bigger energy drain than activities where my dom/aux are used. Anything that demands I be other than myself, or pay particular attention to how I come across also takes more energy. Close friends take energy, too, but since I am comfortable around them, I need not expend so much energy on self-monitoring or operating in those less-preferred modes. The energy drains at a much slower rate. With my SO, we are happy just being in each other's presence, doing our own thing. That is almost as restorative as being alone.