User Tag List

123 Last

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Default Temperament-Style Groupings

We all have our different ways of grouping items and people together. I think it'll be interesting to explore this topic and examine whether we all really talk like this or not, along with coming up with more groupings for each temperament.

This is Keirsey's word on what kinds of groups each of the four temperaments like to talk about (which I find to be true):

Guardians (SJ) - clusters/bunches/stacks - (flock of geese, pool of cars, bunch of grapes, grove of trees, crowd of demonstrators)

Artisans (SP) - sets/arrays/varieties - (golf clubs, knives, office furniture, football players, acting cast, wines)

Rationals (NT) - sorts/distinctions/categories - (differing arts, differing sciences, differing philosophies, differing personality types)

Idealists (NF) - classes/genres/types - (canine animals, evergreen plants, Westerners, indie music)

Explanation:

SJs talk about groups of similar or indistinguishable groups because they're the measurers of society, measuring time, taking inventories, sorting goods into containers, etc. They're also the temperament best at organizing.

SPs talk about sorts of things such as various wines because they're the artists of society and the masters of variety and spotting opportunities. Thus they can pull together the strengths of various items, using them interchangeably like a ninja warrior twirling nunchucks one second and throwing chinese stars the next.

NTs talk about sorts of things because they take great pains to distinguish one type of thing from another so as to not get them confused. Their distinctions can get deeper and deeper, creating more efficiency and thereby evoking accusations of splitting hairs.

NFs talk about classes of things, grouping things together, especially humanity, claiming that we are all essentially the same (and thus have become the greatest civil rights speakers). They stress similarities and love to see the ties that bind, such as Jane Goodall studying chimps and admiring the similarities between them and humans.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Keirsey
    Then there are the Rationals, who tend to speak more of difference than of similarity in both kind and degree. Thus, while Rationals are busy differentiating ideas, Idealists are just as busy integrating ideas; while Rationals are segregating ideas, Idealists are aggregating ideas; while Rationals are analyzing ideas, Idealists are synthesizing ideas. Thus Rationals are into sorting, while Idealists are into classifying.

What other kinds of groups can we come up with? (I came up with some of those mentioned in the first post.)

Sorts:
    • the members of the band Arcade Fire
    • wardrobe of clothes
    • set of tattoos
    • the smileys on the right panel of the post input box
    • different browsers (Firefox, IE, Opera, Chrome)
    • the different cities in the US (wild L.A., all-business NY, upbeat Austin, crazy Seattle)

Clusters:
    • Asians
    • floor space
    • product inventory
    • working hours
    • amount of cash

Sorts:
    • different countries
    • male and female genders
    • trigonometry vs. geometry

Classes:
    • the human race
    • indie music
    • the green movement
    • locally grown produce
    -stellar renegade

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I'm having trouble distinguishing the difference in all of these....it's almost too concrete for me; the examples are too specific. I'm finding they all sound very similar, and so I see myself in all of them to varying degrees.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I've heard of this "differential vs integrative thinking" difference before, and it was even once used to suggest that I was an NF because I liked to match up and combine the different theories. But then that's also what Keirsey himself, and Berens, whoo follows him have done, and in their case (as well as mine), I would attribute that to Ti's identifying of underlying frameworks. That perspective will naturally tend to bind things together. They are the same principles, under different names, or rearranged somewhow.

So there may be some truth to this somewhere, but it is a matter of sorting out in which cases it applies.
    I would imagine NTJ's might more strictly fit the "differential" mold, and NF's integrating might be regarding more personal, ethical, emotional topics, rather than logical structures.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I'm having trouble distinguishing the difference in all of these....it's almost too concrete for me; the examples are too specific. I'm finding they all sound very similar, and so I see myself in all of them to varying degrees.
    Agreed. I use all of them.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

yeah... i feel like in certain areas of life some groupings are more applicable and some groupings are less.

i understand what you're getting at and i think it's cool, but i think it's at a much more subtle level than this. like, how we classify our own thoughts and feelings might run this way, but i don't think keirsey was trying to say this is how we talk so much as this is how we tend to separate and cluster info in our own minds.

btw all your NF stuff just strikes me as fluffy/emo a clusterfuck of bunnies, etc.

MBTI
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    yeah... i feel like in certain areas of life some groupings are more applicable and some groupings are less.

i understand what you're getting at and i think it's cool, but i think it's at a much more subtle level than this. like, how we classify our own thoughts and feelings might run this way, but i don't think keirsey was trying to say this is how we talk so much as this is how we tend to separate and cluster info in our own minds.
    Actually, Keirsey is definitely saying that this is the way we speak. He capitalizes on observable behavior, because stuff inside your head can't be nailed down and is of little to no use (that is, thinking about one's thoughts).

Of course everybody talks about all these different types of groupings for different reasons all the time. The good doctor is just talking about preferences. For instance, a Guardian might talk about their collections (which tend to be sets) sometimes.

The thing here is, I know that I prefer to talk about sets of things. I love to talk about variety, and dwell on topics about weird, mixed-up teams of different races and genders like on Captain Planet, or the different albums I own, or different parts of the city. I love to drink of life's deep varieties.

Next, I'd rank my preferences this way:

2) Sorts
    3) Clusters
    4) Classes

Clusters interest me next to last because they ignore variety and harp on dull similarities. That's why for me, sorts are next because they provide distinctions. And classes interest me the least because on top of talking about same-old similarities, they talk about them in the abstract, further giving me a headache.

I find Idealist talk to be too fuzzy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    btw all your NF stuff just strikes me as fluffy/emo a clusterfuck of bunnies, etc.
    That's the way a lot of you think, though. hah. I getcha, though.
    -stellar renegade

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

What category does "Family Rodentia" fall under? I used that in a sentence once and an ESTJ has never let me live it down.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Interesting. I'm an NF, but I definitely relate to the NT classification the most. I am a sorter to the extreme as much as it bothers me sometimes. I can go on for days about differences between things.
    http://bohemianextrovert.wordpress.com/
    Please excuse the long drawn out ramble above.
    I have to hear what I've said before I know what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    What category does "Family Rodentia" fall under? I used that in a sentence once and an ESTJ has never let me live it down.
    Yeah I know an ESTJ who runs jokes into the ground. I really really really wish he would let it go.

I guess his Si is telling him when he says it- it gets laughs. I'm about wreck his Si.