• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Temperament-Style Groupings

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you were in a shadow loop, you'd show INFJ traits, not ISTJ. Becoming the type opposite your own means you've taken on your stress shadow, which means you're probably, err, burnt-out.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
If you were in a shadow loop, you'd show INFJ traits, not ISTJ. Becoming the type opposite your own means you've taken on your stress shadow, which means you're probably, err, burnt-out.

I'm not quite sure on your point here, but thanks... your opinion is one of many on the shadow/loop theories.

I doubt it was burnout, though burnout does do something to me. What happened to me happened because of a series of circumstances in my early life... or at least that is my theory any way.

KDude

Yeah, the whole shadow thing messes with my head too. I think I learned a lot from the "other me". Whatever the other me is. I think he knows how to buy good wine though :cool:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Man that would throw me if ended up being an ENTP. If you look at my function order my Ti is very low, so I'd be a pretty unhealthy ENTP if I was one... I'm pretty certain about my type, as certain as anyone can be about type, I guess. I do think I was in an ISTJ shadow or stuck in some kind of loop many years (I'm in process of researching these concepts to determine).
The functions are part of my whole difficulty with certain theories of typology. What does introverted thinking really mean to you?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The functions are part of my whole difficulty with certain theories of typology. What does introverted thinking really mean to you?
Ti is precision of logic -- pure and simple. Ti attempts to find that which is objective and logically precise based on its own framework of definition of concepts.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

Your getting my Ne going :D

Since I always test low on tests for Ti I've not really thought much about Ti past the definition of:
Ti seeks precision, such as the exact word to express an idea. It notices the minute distinctions that define the essence of things, then analyzes and classifies them. Ti examines all sides of an issue, looking to solve problems while minimizing effort and risk. It uses models to root out logical inconsistency.[22] In the ENTP, Ti analyzes the constant stream of information that Ne provides. Ti develops structure and reconciles any inconsistencies in the ENTP's belief system. However, Ti cannot match the activity of Ne, which leads the ENTP to juggle multiple projects and theoretical enterprises at any given time, in various stages of completion.

But I went and looked into it more and found this. Introverted Thinking

So now I believe my Ti is higher than I originally thought.

I'm still convinced I'm an ENFP, (but always open to find out I'm wrong) My life demanded me to exercise ISTJ traits from around the age of 5. I HAD to be that way to survive for years, and then chose to be that way for the church... I was absolutely miserable because of it, but I can still exercise a lot of those traits, never happily though.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Your getting my Ne going :D

Since I always test low on tests for Ti I've not really thought much about Ti past the definition of:

But I went and looked into it more and found this. Introverted Thinking

So now I believe my Ti is higher than I originally thought.

I'm still convinced I'm an ENFP, (but always open to find out I'm wrong) My life demanded me to exercise ISTJ traits from around the age of 5. I HAD to be that way to survive for years, and then chose to be that way for the church... I was absolutely miserable because of it, but I can still exercise a lot of those traits, never happily though.
It just sounds like abstract logic to me.

I think the crux of the matter is that in order to be really good at strategy or abstract logic, you need to be able to differentiate between concepts. But in order to be really good at diplomacy and abstract emotional processing, you need to be able to integrate concepts and approach things in a much more holistic fashion.

Rationals (NTs) tear things apart to understand and exploit them.
Idealists (NFs) bring things together to heal and produce cooperation.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I remember reading that site before, and although I don't totally get the page you linked, this is definitely good material for explaining how an SP goes about life:

Extraverted Sensation

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
but I LIKE doggies better than football players :sadbanana:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
but I LIKE doggies better than football players :sadbanana:

haha. I do, too. I think it more or less depends on the way you approach the groupings. An SP is more likely to point out the differences between all the doggies, whereas an SJ will more likely say, "It's just another dog, big deal." lol. They could say the same about football players.

...as in, all football players are dogs.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's the Lenore Thomson wiki, so it's all abstract mystical bullshit. There are better Ti definitions out there, but the nuts-and-bolts definition of it is that Ti tries to come up with its own definition of everything, tries to make personal sense of the world according to its own logical framework. Te by comparison relies on observable facts and evidence -- for Te, if something is not proven to exist, it doesn't exist.

In any case, I find Keirseyan typology to be vaguely annoying not for its own merits, but because everyone uses it interchangeably to MBTI. Being one type in Keirsey doesn't mean that type matches your actual cognitive profile -- which means you might be a different type in MBTI. I'm an Inventor on Keirsey, but my actual MBTI type is most likely ESTJ, or ENFP.

NTPs tear things apart to understand them. NTJs do to exploit them.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting. I'm an NF, but I definitely relate to the NT classification the most. I am a sorter to the extreme as much as it bothers me sometimes. I can go on for days about differences between things.

Agreed.

I related to Keirsey's NT much more than Keirsey's NF, especially as a child. It's become more even over time, but still...

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think the crux of the matter is that in order to be really good at strategy or abstract logic, you need to be able to differentiate between concepts. But in order to be really good at diplomacy and abstract emotional processing, you need to be able to integrate concepts and approach things in a much more holistic fashion.

Idealists (NFs) bring things together to heal and produce cooperation.

OK, that's a good explanation that clarifies this.
Like in my example, I did try to integrate the theories, but only after breaking them down to their basic components (the "factors" of the "matrices"), to understand them, and then correlating those, and then putting it all back together into one underlying system essentially used under different names.

The NF apparently starts out bringing things together, and it's a totally different process for a totally different reason.

This is what I figured.
That would seem to figure as well.
So I guess likewise,
NFP's bring things together to heal and NFJ's bring things together to produce cooperation.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
It's the Lenore Thomson wiki, so it's all abstract mystical bullshit. There are better Ti definitions out there, but the nuts-and-bolts definition of it is that Ti tries to come up with its own definition of everything, tries to make personal sense of the world according to its own logical framework. Te by comparison relies on observable facts and evidence -- for Te, if something is not proven to exist, it doesn't exist.
That does make more sense, although I'm still not inclined towards the functions because it seems like they're trying to talk about something internal that's supposed to be perceived. Not sure how well I jive with that or not. Unless it's actually centered in the brain or something.

I think your definition of Ti can just be given for the behavior of a thinking/probing type.

In any case, I find Keirseyan typology to be vaguely annoying not for its own merits, but because everyone uses it interchangeably to MBTI. Being one type in Keirsey doesn't mean that type matches your actual cognitive profile -- which means you might be a different type in MBTI. I'm an Inventor on Keirsey, but my actual MBTI type is most likely ESTJ, or ENFP.
That's true. I consider that to be because MBTI is so confusing that half the people who use it don't even know what their type is. I've always felt like Keirsey wrote the best descriptions from the beginning even before I drank the kool-aid. He uses an integrated, holistic approach where you can just see the picture of what a person's like using ordinary terms. It's much more realistic and practical in my opinion. Therefore it's harder to get confused, and people don't get near as mixed-up on their type in my experience.

So I guess likewise,
NFP's bring things together to heal and NFJ's bring things together to produce cooperation.
I think those make sense.

KDude

Keirsey's types wouldn't even exist without the cognitive theories that preceded it. He's extrapolating from all of that and/or working with it closely. While I appreciate it (and it helps me differentiate myself from the SP temperment, for example), it can oversimplify matters too. MBTI is worth investing your time in as well, and it's only going to enrich your understanding or appreciation of the Keirseyan model. It's not all that different. To think there's really no such thing as "Ti" is like saying there's no such thing as a "liver" or a "lung", even though you acknowledge there are humans. I mean, if you acknowledge that Keirsey's INTP is an actual type, then you can't possibly dismiss the idea of Ti.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's true. I consider that to be because MBTI is so confusing that half the people who use it don't even know what their type is. I've always felt like Keirsey wrote the best descriptions from the beginning even before I drank the kool-aid. He uses an integrated, holistic approach where you can just see the picture of what a person's like using ordinary terms. It's much more realistic and practical in my opinion. Therefore it's harder to get confused, and people don't get near as mixed-up on their type in my experience.
I tend not to like that it's too shallow, but it still is more useful. On MBTI, the problem with function theory is more the fact that Jung's original descriptions were so mystical and vague, that they were left open to a thousand different interpretations.

Based on keirsey though, I am a definite ENTP. You're right about that much, it's easier to be certain of your type there. :D

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Lenore Thomson may come across as abstract and mystical, but I find way more BS in this sorting method than I find in her work . I haven't read Kiersey's books yet, but Lenore Thomson's book is solid.

So this sorting method seems like bunk to me. I think this method over simplifies it and doesn't really tell much at all. I looked up Kiersey's definition of ENTP and ENFP to see if it differed from my personal definition, but it did not. According to his definitions I certainly am an ENFP, there is no way I'm an ENTP. Unless I defy definition, and then what would be the point? Therefore I'm thinking the sorting method thing is not a valid means to verify type.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I find Lenore Thompson's work to be far more illuminating than Keirsey.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Keirsey's types wouldn't even exist without the cognitive theories that preceded it. He's extrapolating from all of that and/or working with it closely.
It sounds like you are vastly uninformed about KTT, which is okay because at first I was, too.

Keirsey bases his ideas off of temperament studies throughout history, especially alot of theories in the early 20th century on human behavior. They all formulated the same basic four temperaments but added a new aspect at each turn. Myers also divided up her types into four groupings like we find here.

Eventually he abandoned the four letter typing system to focus on other traits (temperament, utilitarian vs. cooperative, roles, expressive vs. attentive). So he never based anything on cognitive theories which he believes are bunk because we can't think about our thoughts.

While I appreciate it (and it helps me differentiate myself from the SP temperment, for example), it can oversimplify matters too. MBTI is worth investing your time in as well, and it's only going to enrich your understanding or appreciation of the Keirseyan model.
Believe me, I used to be obsessed with it back in the day and researched it as much as possible, along with coming up with my own thoughts on it. I even checked out Jung's book that included Psychological Types.

The problem came when I started changing alot. I figured I was just changing type, and then I wanted to make a better, more complex quiz based on the functions. But then those "functions" started to become indistinguishable. I couldn't really even understand where one left off and the other began. I started asking questions like, "What's the difference between thinking and feeling?" Eventually I just stopped thinking about personality theory altogether.

Fast-forward a few years, to more than a year ago when I was getting ready to move up here to Seattle and wanted to immerse myself into information about my type so I could have that extra boost. I didn't really find anything until I realized I could join Keirsey's message board which was more interactive to me. His son posts there and to my relief he was saying things like, "We all have emotions," and that his father makes distinctions more along the lines of soft-hearted versus tough-minded, which was the original distinction that Jung based his typology on but took to a mystical extreme.

It's not all that different. To think there's really no such thing as "Ti" is like saying there's no such thing as a "liver" or a "lung", even though you acknowledge there are humans.
The problem is that you can't quantify those things. It becomes a confusing mish-mash. This is because people are integrated beings. A little of this, a little of that. But in order to be an individual at all, all of the ingredients that make up a person have to be inseparable aspects that combine into one thing.

I mean, how long would you really live if your liver wasn't working very well? Or your lungs? If all of the functions are that important, then nobody could live with their shadow functions so weakened as people claim they are.

I mean, if you acknowledge that Keirsey's INTP is an actual type, then you can't possibly dismiss the idea of Ti.
It's not "Keirsey's INTP." Yes, he did adopt the letterings from Myers for a bit but then abandoned them. They're still on the site for cross-reference, though, since so many know about MBTI and are ignorant of KTT.

I tend not to like that it's too shallow, but it still is more useful. On MBTI, the problem with function theory is more the fact that Jung's original descriptions were so mystical and vague, that they were left open to a thousand different interpretations.
Exactly.

What do you mean, more shallow? Not that I necessarily take offense, but I'm not sure what you mean. MBTI just seems like a confusing swamp of vague notions that aren't very helpful at all.

Based on keirsey though, I am a definite ENTP. You're right about that much, it's easier to be certain of your type there. :D
Yeah, that's why I use it! :D

Maybe an abstract Keirseyite would be better able to help get the idea across. I just accept it because it makes sense and it works. :shrug:

Lenore Thomson may come across as abstract and mystical, but I find way more BS in this sorting method than I find in her work . I haven't read Kiersey's books yet, but Lenore Thomson's book is solid.
Hey, to each his own. :D

So this sorting method seems like bunk to me. I think this method over simplifies it and doesn't really tell much at all. I looked up Kiersey's definition of ENTP and ENFP to see if it differed from my personal definition, but it did not. According to his definitions I certainly am an ENFP, there is no way I'm an ENTP. Unless I defy definition, and then what would be the point? Therefore I'm thinking the sorting method thing is not a valid means to verify type.
Well, I'll believe that you're an ENFP, I was just offering up a quick guess because the only thing I know about you is that you said you like to tear ideas apart and analyze them. That sounds Rational to me, and with all the confusion about type here, who knows?

I never said that the sorting method should determine type. Far from it. A person's type should be determined by a full view of their entire life and their most consistent habits.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So he never based anything on cognitive theories which he believes are bunk because we can't think about our thoughts.
I disagree. Our thoughts exist, we are aware of them happening and what they are, and thus we can dissect them. Or extrapolate from what they result in.

What do you mean, more shallow? Not that I necessarily take offense, but I'm not sure what you mean. MBTI just seems like a confusing swamp of vague notions that aren't very helpful at all.
Shallow as in, they only explain basic surface behavior. They aren't precise about what lies underneath that behavior. I do think that Keirsey is very good for casual users, and as I mentioned what pisses me off is the perceived overlap between it an MBTI (I have the same problem with Socionics), but to me as a type enthusiast, it's just... boring (at least taken by itself). So yeah, I'm an Inventor. Now what?

So it's pretty much the same problem I have with the Big 5: It's too simple, too superficial. I could tell you someone's SLOAN type within a minute of meeting them if I ask the right questions, and I'm actually a bit surprised anyone actually needs to take the test.