User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you like making small talk with bank employees?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an I and I agree with Bill.

15 48.39%
  • I'm an I and I agree with Melissa.

8 25.81%
  • I'm an E and I agree with Bill.

2 6.45%
  • I'm an E and I agree with Melissa.

6 19.35%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    I don't so much have a problem with making small talk with the cashier or teller or whoever, and I certainly am not rude to them - I always say hello and thank you and smile. But it's more the people I'm not ALREADY in direct contact with, like greeter type people, or the person at the bookstore who comes up and asks if I need help, especially if more than one does it. I know they're supposed to do that, but I'd rather not have to say, "I'm just browsing" or whatever every three seconds when I'm looking for a book.
    I agree about this. It is just annoying to answer the same question over and over, especially if the person is only doing it because their manager makes them. But if they walk up to me and ask me something meaningful I might end up talking to them all day.

In stores, I just politely disengage.. I say Hi and all of that, but I already know what I need. Unless I don't, and then they're nowhere to be found :P

I don't mind smalltalk with anyone else, like with acquaintances. It does bore me some of the time, but often, it's nice to hear what's up.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I agree with Bill entirely. And yes, Billy - I do much of my business online, but as Aquarelle points out, some transactions just have to be done in person.

I do my best to avoid unnecessary interaction while I am doing errands, but have no problem seeking out clerks and others when I really do need their help. (Ironically, they often can't help.) I have standard answers for the usual banalities, like "busy" if someone asks "how are you". As a courteous greeting, I prefer just good morning or hello over a question neither of us probably wants answered.

On the other hand, it can be fun to give unexpected responses to these kind of mindless exchanges, just to see how people will react. I especially enjoy putting sales people off their pitch.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Sometimes you have to go in to the bank. If I need a money order, to do a wire transfer, or to withdraw a larger sum than the ATM will let me, I have to go in to the bank.

Seems kind of harsh to call him a douchebag for not liking to talk to strangers... of course he (and I, and I think most people) will still respond politely and observe the social niceties, but it's just that we are annoyed at having to do this.
    I dont see a reason to be annoyed, sounds like agoraphobia or something.
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

The reason to be annoyed is that it's annoying. Everybody wants to pretend to be your friend when they're not. I don't give a happy damn how the bank teller's day was and I don't want to hear about it; I won't burden her with how I really feel about anything, either -- I go to the bank when I have to, to transact business, and the sooner it's over with, the better.

A similar thing is when they get you at the cash register and start up about did you want to put this on your BlahBlah charge? You don't have one? Do you want one? You know you get 10 percent off? Are you sure? Would you like to try a whatsit that's sitting here all over the counter so you have no place to put your purse down while you look for your money? What's your zip code? What's your phone number? This stuff makes me foam at the mouth. I feel like OMG take the freaking money and leave me alone...

Or "Did you find everything you needed today?" Well, I'm at the register ... what do you think? I want to say "No, I'm still wandering the store."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I don't mind the chit-chat. I actually make it a point to engage employees to some degree because I know it sucks to be treated like you're not a human. I want to show solidarity and validate people when I can and something like a little common courtesy doesn't take much effort from me.
    This is how I feel. I don't mind a little chitchat, especially if it seems genuine. What I can't stand is the reluctant, bored, monotone, "How are you today?" as they avoid eye contact. Sheesh, don't say it if you're going to resent it. The other thing that gets me is when someone asks you how you are or if they can help you as you walk in the store, but then they don't wait for an answer before they walk away or turn their attention elsewhere.

I did miss the pleasantries when I lived in NYC. Everyone was so disconnected there, it would have been nice to hear some friendly voices and have a little human contact. The lack of it just reinforced the "every man for himself" vibe of the city.

What I really hate is being actively sold to or being followed around the store. And if you try and come in my dressing room, I will hurt you.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    I dont see a reason to be annoyed, sounds like agoraphobia or something.
    Well, it's fine if you're not annoyed, but you don't have to call people who are annoyed douchebags. It's just a personal preference. A lot of people find people who sign in public annoying. I happen to like people who sing in public.

And actually agoraphobia is somewhat the opposite. From Google Health:

Agoraphobia is a fear of being in places where help might not be available. It usually involves fear of crowds, bridges, or of being outside alone.

Symptoms
    Anxiety or panic attack (acute severe anxiety)
    Becoming housebound for prolonged periods of time
    Dependence on others
    Fear of being alone
    Fear of being in places where escape might be difficult
    Fear of losing control in a public place
    Feelings of detachment or estrangement from others
    Feelings of helplessness
    Feeling that the body is unreal
    Feeling that the environment is unreal
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I feel like it cheapens the value of actual conversation. I also feel like I'm interacting with a machine sometimes, when it's obvious the person has been instructed to say certain things. For some reason I find that horrifying.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post

A similar thing is when they get you at the cash register and start up about did you want to put this on your BlahBlah charge? You don't have one? Do you want one? You know you get 10 percent off? Are you sure? Would you like to try a whatsit that's sitting here all over the counter so you have no place to put your purse down while you look for your money? What's your zip code? What's your phone number? This stuff makes me foam at the mouth. I feel like OMG take the freaking money and leave me alone...

Or "Did you find everything you needed today?" Well, I'm at the register ... what do you think? I want to say "No, I'm still wandering the store."
    +100!!!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

garbage

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8zNsUTWsOc"].[/YOUTUBE]

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    What's your zip code? What's your phone number? This stuff makes me foam at the mouth.
    oh my god yes