User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Default How is this MBTI useful to your life?

There seems to be lots of discussion on what each type is and is not, the theories of functions and their attitudes but almost no discussion on implementation and use.

So how do you use yours?

Do you type friends and family, if so why?

Is the MBTI a hobby or part of something greater to you?

What's the best use you've found thus far?

How do you find the theories measure up against real life?

Do you consider yourself skilled in typing people or are you just observing and making notes?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENXP

Mostly a really sad hobby.

Right now I see it as a set of "personality goals", of behaviors I want to establish in myself. Like, how an inventor acts, I'll act like that, because I want to be as much of an inventor as I can. I'm not sure if that's possible, the MBTI would disagree.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Interesting questions you have there.

So how do you use yours?
    I tend to expect too much of people. MBTI describes certain behaviors that tend to cluster together; I can use it to identify persons preferences faster and to understand what makes them tick. Personally, I care a about almost everything in life anyone ever cares. So, my main clue to understanding people is understanding what they don't care about; MBTI offers useful templates for this.

Did it ages ago. I guess I wanted to engage in stereotyping and making myself seem better. Part of it was seeing life as big drama; people were the roles they "portrayed".

Now I mostly seek to take the initiative in co-operate with people in various projects, so I sometimes type them to aid my communication with them. I mostly seek a common language with them. I must say, MBTI isn't the first or the second thing I go for.

A hobby, a tool.

Entertainment.

The strict function order theory is bollocks.
    The MBTI of course measures what it measures, so someone scoring ENTP has high Ti and high Ne. That doesn't provide any information though.
    People are quite persistent in their traits and habits, as far as MBTI is concerned, so I strongly feel that MBTI captures something worthwhile. It doesn't seem the best tool for that, though. After 10 years of MBTI as a hobby, I feel most people are somewhat more balanced and well-rounded than the type descriptions. Some other tools might capture the essence of their behaviors and traits a bit better.

Do you consider yourself skilled in typing people or are you just observing and making notes?
    I haven't really practiced typing in many years. I consider that people's behaviors are more situational than usually thought of, so that accurate typing is more difficult than just making a bullet list of behaviors and counting 1+1.
    I think I do an OK job in typing, to the extent that reality allows. It's uncertain science, so in the end, my typings are just somewhat accurate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Oh, did I forgot: I also use the MBTI for being judgmental of people. Silly me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Almighty View Post
    Mostly a really sad hobby.
    Same. Sad hobby. Occasionally helps in understanding people but mostly it's just fun to type people. But occasionally I get obsessed and it actually starts making me depressed because I think about it too much. Then I try to avoid it for a while, but it keeps popping into my head.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Almighty View Post
    Right now I see it as a set of "personality goals", of behaviors I want to establish in myself.
    same

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Great for identifying and understanding the dynamics of interpersonal relationships.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

Thumbs up

I like to type anyone I possibly can, so yes, I do type both my friends and my family, call me obsessed.
    I like to do this so I can understand different perpesctives and understand where people are coming from.
    The more we know about others can can put ourselves into others, we will more likely be a better person
    towards them. And I think every human being should strive for that.

MBTI is a huge hobby for me. I have alot of fun deeply understanding people. I often feel as if I'm outside
    of the loop or not connected with everyone even though I definatly am, and MBTI just helps me to be closer
    with other people. So I guess that could say that it is more than just a hobbby, it is something much greaer.

As I've said earlier, I find that it is a great way to truely connect with, and understand people.

These theories are often correct, but I need to learn to see the person for who they are, and not just their
    type. I sometimes can jusde a person too much based on their type. And even though I'm always right when I
    type someone, there are always other aspects of a human being beyond the MBTI theory.

I consider myself both skilled and observing and taking notes. I still have MUCH to learn, and I'm open to learning
    ALOT more, but I still have good skills typing people. This site has truely impacted me, thus has impacted everyone
    I have come in contact with. This site has practically touched the world. Wow... My 'F' is showing, I'm being a little
    dramatic. But still, I'm very thankful for this site. I have alot of healing to and this MBTI has been the spring board
    for my healing proccess. This site has made such a positive impact on me. Enough about me.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    So how do you use yours?
    I don't really. I don't want to think myself as a type, and so far I don't even feel like it's limits are too bounding.

I have, but only for purposes of discussing them here. There are some advantages of being able to put people in different boxes and discuss about them with other people. There are limits as well.

Not even a hobby.

Understanding the scope of human experience.

If you keep in mind that you are dividing 6+ billion people in only 16 different categories, then they do just fine...

No. I am mostly observing. I don't really even pay attention to how I typed people, since I don't usually use this in real life.

mostly out of habit...

none. it was hobby now it's just a bad habit.

figuring out i'll never be SJ and that's great.

moderately.

i am not v skilled, too subjective to be skilled.