• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are people always stuck on one dichotomy?

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In so many cases, people are always stuck on one dichotomy; most commonly S/N or J/P. Why is this?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In so many cases, people are always stuck on one dichotomy; most commonly S/N or J/P. Why is this?

That's funny -- the worst to me always seems to be the T/F.

I'm not sure if it means anything. If a function is heavily preferred, it's easier to recognize; if not, it's harder.

Usually people have at least one function pair where they are clear on what they are... and often more than one. Because they have to focus on SOMETHING or take at least one good approach to life.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

In my case, I'm not really stuck on one dichotomy, but I test very close on T/F, although I would like to be F more than I'd like to be T (it sounds better), so that's what I call myself.

My guess is that people are usually stuck on the one dichotomy where they feel closest to the other side. Since the system isn't absolute, there is room for shift between the 16 types, so they may feel caught between two similar types, especially in IxTP's case, or in INxJ's case. Those two make sense to me. S/N I could understand in many cases, but J/P confusion has me at a loss. They're completely different functions. INTx and INFx are practically meaningless. People really shouldn't be confused on that one, in my opinion. J's and P's think in radically different ways.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Haha, I'm still not sure about being E/I!

Clearly it can be any dichotomy we're unsure of. ;)

EDIT: And I know more than a few people who are quite clearly their type... I wouldn't even know where to begin with deciding which dichotomy isn't clear. So it's just some of us who agonise about it repeatedly. ;)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
for me it's T/F after describing INTP and INFP my dad commented that I could be INTP but I'm farily certain I use Fi more then Ti. But their is a small chance I'm actually a T.

But I think it depends which function you are more towards the center on as to which dichotomy you get stuck on. Though I could be wrong.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
S/N is the biggest change to any type.

An ISTJ is NOT an INTJ. An ESFP is NOT an ENFP. Completely different, autonomous entities. People get the most confused by that distinction because they erroneously believe that to be Intuitive means "no pleasure in the senses" and Sensing means "no gut instinct" or "no whimsy".

As to the J/P - again, I think it's a matter of internalized confusion. I'm a strong J, but I like, due to conditioning and due to being raised with a P twin, the ability to change my mind. Does being a strong J mean I wouldn't want the ability to change my mind anyway? Not at all. But if I look at myself honestly, I see that I lean with little deviation toward closure and having things on/off, black/white, open/shut. I don't feel comfortable without definition and I don't feel comfortable not knowing where my boundaries are. My P-function twin is more at ease when she can shift on the fly. Does that mean she doesn't need closure and definition? Again, not at all. But she does naturally lean toward the open door and not the closed one.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
that's why I have the hardest time with S/N and because Ns can sometimes look like Ss and Ss Ns depending on the situation. I enjoy my senses and I know some sensors who do have gut instincts I think enjoying certain things through are a senses and gut instincts is more of a people thing then type thing. We like food that kind of requires your senses to enjoy it fully. jmo

Let me clarify I have a hard time with S/N on other people most of the time though sometimes it's T/F I think depending on the person I can get stuck on any of the four dichotomies some I get stuck on a couple.Myself it's T/F

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To make the waters more turbid and opaque, you have ISTP types that wander around with their weird brand of quasi-N which is just as "passable" as any Intuitive at times.

Conversely, my ENTJ/ENTPs have been known to carouse and drink people under the table or get intense enjoyment from their physical environments, even when their S was nearly non-existent.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've out reason some Ts before and can hold my own in a discussion. So no not every decision I make is based on some feeling snap descisions are but if I need to explain to a T about something i can rationalize and sometimes through rationalization I change my mind.

anyways back to the S and N yeah I think my brother is an S but can appear very N at times I've course growing up both of my parents and I are Ns though I think my dad could be an ISTP. But my mom is an INFJ no doubt about that. So are intuitiveness could have rubbed off on him, I know Ss and Js sometimes rub off on me, I've learned the importance of being on time from my mom and my one friend whose an ISFJ. I started being on time for her because she really hates when people are late, then I realized other people feel the same way so I tend to try to show up on time, though sometimes I can't find my shoes or keys or something then I'm late. Or under estimate the time it's going to take, but if that happens I call and apologize. (sorry I'm babbling)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can hang with Ts too. It's just we aren't using "standard logic" to do it, even if our argument is orderly and free of emotional slant. I call it "feeler logic" for want of a better term. I frequently sound like a T when speaking, but if you pay attention to my words or manner, it's obvious I'm not drawing from logic, regardless of the health of my stance on a matter or my precision. A true T has true objectivity at their disposal should they chose to exercise it. I've yet to see an F who can debate any strongly-held position without SOME heat underneath it, even if they keep it under rein.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
That's probably true, because my feelings will have an influence on my logic especially if I feel strongly about it. Though sometimes I just come out and say "I know it's not logical but this is how I feel"

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's probably true, because my feelings will have an influence on my logic especially if I feel strongly about it. Though sometimes I just come out and say "I know it's not logical but this is how I feel"

And truly, feelings on a matter can be just as valid or correct (or in some cases, more so) than detached logic. I think logic may be misconstrued as superior, and feelings to be wholly irrational and unreliable. I've seen people logic their way into trouble and bad marriages and what have you, just as readily as feeling their way into all of the above.

T doesn't make a person a hard case.
F doesn't make a person squishy.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I have always believed that the S/J is too close to call, in particular when referencing to NTJ/STP types. From her comparison of ESTP/ENTJ.
Both STPs and NTJs want to get things accomplished and get that achievable result as quickly as possible. They tend to make quick decisions.

All STP types have a core need for having the freedom to choose the next thing they are going to do with a drive to action and to make an impact, whereas NTJ types have a core need for mastery, self-control, knowledge and competence. The difference is STP types’ need for competence is different than the NTJs being competent ahead of doing something and their need to understand something completely before they go ahead and act. STPs will be more likely to quickly grasp the essence of something and then go ahead and take action, gaining competence as they go.

Furthermore, both NTs and SPs have a preference for taking Pragmatic Roles so the freedom to choose the next action resonates, as autonomy is the hallmark of pragmatic role taking. Pragmatism means doing what ever it takes to reach a goal, often ignoring rules or social norms. For the NTJ, that freedom is around devising and getting others to follow a strategy. For the STP that freedom is more often about the necessary tactical actions to get something accomplished.
One thing I remain baffled by, is why people believe they can discern differences in type, by using simple dichotomies. At some point there should be an understanding that a global usage precludes the basic understanding that Si is different than Se, as is Ne/Ni and so on.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've been told by my parents and elders that I've talked to at length about things and even my math teachers have said I have a better grasp of logic then I give myself credit of, as well as I supposdley I have more common sense then a lot of people even though I don't see it that way.

And I agree that sometimes feelings are better then logic but sometimes logic is better then feelings it depends on a situation, like for a job if you need to do something but you don't feel like it, your probably better off using logic to convince yourself to do i. Even if''s false logic, because when it comes to convincing yourself to do what you need to succeed/not get fired it doesn't matter how you convince yourself to do the task at hand as long as you do.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
IMO: because the dichotomies are a weak and clumsy tool to determine someone's type.

I'm definitely an INFJ, and yet I systematically type as an INFP. Why? Because I really do like to keep my options open as long as possible before making a decision, for example. Things like that. Things that are supposedly "P". Except that, hey, my Dominant function is Ni, a Perceiving function! So *of course* I like to keep my options open: it's what Ni does... until it finally iNtuits some kind of solution.

The problem is that the dichotomy tests try to determine my *outside* behaviour (which is what P/J is about) by asking me how *I* see myself. Huh, bad idea, because as an Introvert, the way I see myself is mostly the way I am *inside*. If you want to know how I appear to others, go ask them, not me. If you ask me, I'm going to tell you how I see myself inside, because as an Introvert, that's my main field of interest. So instead of describing my Extraverted Auxiliairy, I'm going to describe my Introverted Dominant - hence the P conclusion.

The dichotomies could be an accurate way to determine someone's type IF they interacted with each other. "Ah, you're a strong Introvert, we need to take that into account when determining P/J". "Ah, you're a Feeler, we need to adjust the P/J questions to test for Fe rather than Te". Things like that. As they are now, the dichotomies are way too rigid and separate from each other to yield consistent results.

As just one tool in an array of tests, though, they can bring very valuable information. But only when taken along with other indicators (cognitive processes tests, temperament tests, interaction styles, and so on).

heart

heart on fire
It is funny, but I am closest between T and F, but I have no doubts that I am F.

heart

heart on fire

I'm definitely an INFJ, and yet I systematically type as an INFP. Why? Because I really do like to keep my options open as long as possible before making a decision, for example. Things like that.

Yes, my husband likes to take a long time making a decision. Sometimes because he puts off gathering information. However once he comes to a decision, he wants it to be final and to "carry out the plan."

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am a very mild J, which could explain why I score high on Ni, Ne, and Ti in the cognitive processes test. My Si is also reasonably developed.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes, my husband likes to take a long time making a decision. Sometimes because he puts off gathering information. However once he comes to a decision, he wants it to be final and to "carry out the plan."
Exactly: *once* a decision is made, then it is usually final and to be carried out. So he and I are definitely "Js on the outside" (which is a redundancy, but anyway), ie how we appear to "the world", to people who are not privy to our internal processes: they see us suddenly making a decision and then sticking to it and trying to implement it as soon as possible . However, to ourselves and to anyone who knows us well, we don't look so much like Js, because of the sheer TIME it can take us to actually make that decision in the first place!

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
It is funny, but I am closest between T and F, but I have no doubts that I am F.
Hence, IFP. My two strongest are T and I (which I guess you can correlate to mean Ti). Based on that, as Wandering explains would give me a perception auxilary.