• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A question

discofunkfreak

So I've been reading all around the internet that ENFPs are considered the "introverted extroverts."

If that's true, then which type is the "extroverted introvert?"

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
ISxPs, maybe. They talk about liking external stimulation and activity and novelty , which contradicts some descriptions of what it means to be an introvert.

"The introverted extroverts" description of ENFPs (I'd apply it to ENTPs too) seems a little odd to me, since plenty of them are quite loud and gregarious. It seems there is still something about introversion that they identify with.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
haha yeah i know a pretty extraverted ISTP. but not really people extraverted, just activity extraverted.

ENFPs need a good chuck on quiet time on average - ENFJ too. but then we're also Fi, which tends to push for defiance of social norms. needing quiet time + randomly going into Ne theorizing and spacing out + sometimes swimming against the societal current = feels like introversion. and we're generally more interested in ideas (Ne) than people (Fe).

i hear ENTPs can feel similar, but their tert Fe usually makes up for it.

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
I dunno, but ISTs never seem to shut up, in my experience, and that makes them seem like extraverts.

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
ISTP or ISTJ. Because I, and many ISTJs I know of are very silent people.
ISTs - both ISTJs and ISTPs.

My (ISTJ) dad sure isn't silent. He's got like this ridiculous encyclopedic recall of everything in the world, and he has to give you the entire article on every subject you bring up. I only ever asked him for homework help when I was REALLY desperate - I didn't even ever have time to engage him in conversation, because he would never be done talking!

My ISTP friends will go on forever about really specific interests which no one else shares.

I love them, but... wow.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know a couple of ISFJs who could pass as extraverts. Under the right circumstances they can be quite talkative and take on the role of being a social facilitator if no one else wants to.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ISTs - both ISTJs and ISTPs.

My (ISTJ) dad sure isn't silent. He's got like this ridiculous encyclopedic recall of everything in the world, and he has to give you the entire article on every subject you bring up. I only ever asked him for homework help when I was REALLY desperate - I didn't even ever have time to engage him in conversation, because he would never be done talking!

hahah that sounds like my INTP dad!

once you get him on a subject, he will tell you EVERYTHING. and them some. and then some more. which is really great sometimes but gets overwhelming too.

he's still kind of Iish in his manner though. he doesn't just strike up conversations with strangers like my mom (ESFJ) will, just for fun or when she thinks they can help her out. he'd rather go about things on his own. he mostly only strikes up conversations with people he's interested in for a specific reason and wants to talk with them on a specific subject.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the whole "introverted extravert" thing has been a bit exaggerated. It probably stems from some distorted notions of extraverted behavior. Like extraversion might be associated with Se, Te and Fe, so in comparison, Ne seems different. (Hence, yes; ISP's might seem to be the "extraverted introverts).

Ne dominants are all Get Things Going in Interaction Style, and the outward focus does generally draw them to approach people, like other dominant extraverted functions do. It also makes them "informative", and having a "light and airyness" about them on the positive side of their personality. These are the classic "extroverted" and "Sanguine" traits.

It's true that some may have focused a bit too much on "outgoing and gregarious" as definitions of extraversion, but that doesn't mean that there isn't some truth to those descriptions, and that they should be totally discarded. Any type can act withdrawn at times for whatever reason, but Ne dominants do seem to be usually outgoing, at least in their own ways.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My ISTP friends will go on forever about really specific interests which no one else shares..

I am like this too, if someone genuinely seems like they're interested in my esoteric interests I will take my time to educate them thoroughly on the whole subject(like say, quantum mechanics, special relativity), I will dump a shit ton of information on to them. But this rarely happens because most people are uninterested in my blabbering and I can easily tell, it is a really special occasion when I find someone willing to be interested, not just passively listen.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ISxPs, aux Se.

wolfy

awsm
ISxPs, aux Se.

Yeah, people I ask always think I am extroverted. I probably do come across like that in the everyday use of the term. For me it feels like reserved extroversion a lot of the time.

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
Now that I think about it, I thought for the longest time my ISFP brother was extroverted and most people would think my ISFP mom was, too (she presents herself as an ENFJ for some reason).

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I have an ISFP friend who's freaking unbearable in her extraversion at times.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
ISFJ.

I would have thought that ENFPs would be known as introverted extroverts because of the amount of thinking they do and likewise an ISFJ would be an extroverted introvert because they're out there doing what they're supposed to do (though I've no idea who supposes first).

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
ISFJ.

I would have thought that ENFPs would be known as introverted extroverts because of the amount of thinking they do and likewise an ISFJ would be an extroverted introvert because they're out there doing what they're supposed to do (though I've no idea who supposes first).
I've always seen ISFJs as being very distinctly social, but also very clearly introverted all the while. In my experience, they're the ones that always sit with the popular people and say nothing, just nod and agree.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I've always seen ISFJs as being very distinctly social, but also very clearly introverted all the while. In my experience, they're the ones that always sit with the popular people and say nothing, just nod and agree.

Precisely. Although they are introverts they're still in the crowd. I guess both concepts cross definitions of introvert and extrovert though.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, all you guys might not say that if you'd met me, or my isfp for that matter. People always complain that getting me to share information is like pulling teeth, and I'm borderline rude in avoiding social contact at times.

Perhaps we're exceptions though.