User Tag List

123 Last

Default Describe your dom function

How does it feel?
    Fluid and lava lampy, or conscious and analytical?
    Contemplative and aimless or determined and purposeful?

How did you learn to trust it enough for it to become the hero?
    Was it wholly naturally occurring or could you feel yourself experimenting throughout your life?

Third, how differently do you think your life would have unfolded, the directions you would have taken, if your dominant and inferior were in switched roles. To what extent would it affect your current ideologies, values, principles? In other words, how vital is your dominant function to the person you are today.

I'm curious.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Feels like the Tsunami. Washing over everything I am.
    Sometimes it feels like magic, turning everything I touch into gold.

Seriously though, if I had Fi first, I'd be lying under a rock, meditating and praying for peace on Earth (and all the other planets). In other words, pretty useless.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    How does it feel?
    Contemplative and aimless or determined and purposeful?
    I feel it like a vague sense of who I am or should be. I feel when I am swimming against the current. This feeling is on the background all the time, like a theme song. It can be hard to notice, but it's everywhere.

How did you learn to trust it enough for it to become the hero?
    Was it wholly naturally occurring or could you feel yourself experimenting throughout your life?
    I tried hard to be as smart and obeying everyone thought I was, but eventually hit the wall with that life style.

Third, how different do you think your life would have unfolded, the directions you would have taken, if your dominant and inferior were in switched roles. To what extent would it affect your current ideologies, values, principles? In other words, how vital is your dominant function to the person you are today.
    If I had kept obeying and being smart, I would probably be some sort of engineer who feels like he isn't doing what he was supposed to be doing. I would have a family as expected of me. I would have a psychotic episode when I am forty, and would get off the meds when I'm fifty. I would never recover completely.

MBTI
    iNfp
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFp

Fi - a compulsion to do that which is good, regardless of what would be best for me. Related: Kant, categorical imperative.

I never did really trust it, because it often leads to me be used by others. However, I can't complain, because it makes me awfully driven and passionate, a warrior for the forces of good.

I think I'd be a huge jerk if Te were my dominant function.
    "You get what you're given, it's all how you use it."
    Pink - "God is a DJ"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

contemplative, aimless for sure...always intrigued by new ideas...looking to collect information from different sources...having this need to go to different sources and tie divergent things together...seeing the world as a map in my head and connecting it through time...I see time in my head as a line backwards, but at the same time it's fluid...needing external stimulation from reading/music/walking/talking/travel...but other times living inside of my own head in completely imaginary things or making theories...very much a sense of either bouncing around or being withdrawn into my own little world (maybe that's the transition from Ne to Fi?)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    Feels like the Tsunami. Washing over everything I am.
    Sometimes it feels like magic, turning everything I touch into gold.

Seriously though, if I had Fi first, I'd be lying under a rock, meditating and praying for peace on Earth (and all the other planets). In other words, pretty useless.
    I think *if* I had Fi first I would have known exactly who I was and what I wanted at a younger age instead of having this drive to explore and move around and worry that if I don't try this or that I'll feel stagnant.

Oh, duh, I totally missed that I'm supposed to talk about my inferior...if I had Si first then my life would have been much more consistent. I would have stayed home, started college, followed a path of least resistance and done "the right thing" I'm pretty certain. My life choices would seem more sensible to a certain kind of person, and I probably would have been able to stay in one place, or at least in one job. I would have a lot more security but be hella fucking boring.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

"How does it feel?
    Contemplative and aimless or determined and purposeful?"

It is both fluid/lava lampy, conscious and analytical. Some things, I just know is right and I have no internal battles or persuasion to do. Other times, I need a thorough explanation as to why I feel/think a certain way, why I support this and not that.

"How did you learn to trust it enough for it to become the hero?
    Was it wholly naturally occurring or could you feel yourself experimenting throughout your life?"

I trust the more objective parts of it. I trust the part of Fi that tells me to do good, to do better, to go by my ethical code, to create and stick with my ideals and believe in humanitarian missions. I distrust greatly the more personal parts of it relating to personal relationships. That may be more Fe-Si weaknesses, not Fi. Fi sometimes makes everything personal when it really is not.

"Third, how differently do you think your life would have unfolded, the directions you would have taken, if your dominant and inferior were in switched roles. To what extent would it affect your current ideologies, values, principles? In other words, how vital is your dominant function to the person you are today."

My Fi is crucial to my development as a person today. It's my whole character, my whole perspective and goals. If my dominant is Te, I'd be extremely different, it'd be like being flipped around and starting from the opposite end over to Fi rather than from Fi over to Te.

I would be missing out on a lot of things that I find rewarding and inspiring right now, but I'd be much more competent, confident, assertive and practical.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by rowingineden View Post
    Fi - a compulsion to do that which is good, regardless of what would be best for me. Related: Kant, categorical imperative.

I never did really trust it, because it often leads to me be used by others. However, I can't complain, because it makes me awfully driven and passionate, a warrior for the forces of good.
    This sounds quite different Fi than mine... For me almost all kinds of fighting (concretely or figuratively) seems inefficient. People tend to resist when they are pushed.

MBTI
    iNfp
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    This sounds quite different Fi than mine... For me almost all kinds of fighting (concretely or figuratively) seems inefficient. People tend to resist when they are pushed.
    Well, mine is probably different because it has been shaped by what was required to deal with my childhood circumstances. I was around highly unethical, manipulative people, so I had to fight to break through all that. I feel obligated to be a warrior for the forces of good because of all the "evil" I grew up around.
    "You get what you're given, it's all how you use it."
    Pink - "God is a DJ"

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I understand, it would probably influence a lot how you deal with the world when grown up. How do you exactly do it? Like, where do you find the people to fight for..? How do you know if they really need/want you to fight for them and how do you know that the bad guy really is a bad guy?

My strategy is to hang around a few people hoping to make their lives easier and if I'm lucky, helping their development, something a lot more passive than yours, so I find it interesting that in a different scenario I might be doing the same as you.