12 Last

Thread: Functions

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Default Functions

They're kinda weird. Why is it not possible for someone to have more or less than 2 extro/introverted functions? Like why couldn't someone have say introverted thinking, feeling and sensing (random example) or everything extraverted? And if they could, what type would they be?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by mrsherlockholmes View Post
    They're kinda weird. Why is it not possible for someone to have more or less than 2 extro/introverted functions? Like why couldn't someone have say introverted thinking, feeling and sensing (random example) or everything extraverted? And if they could, what type would they be?
    Everyone uses all eight functions.

The "rule" of the interplay between the "first" two is just so that we can have 16 types instead of 8! types.

It'd be a pretty useless system if there were 40320 types.

There is no law that says you can't prefer ones outside of the prescribed order. Your type is just the best fit. So you pick your first, and then pick the better fitting of the two type options.

For example, I could pick Ne as my dominant, making me an ENsomethingP. The difference between ENTP and ENFP is whether Ti or Fi is preferred.

That is all.

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Oh so TECHNICALLY you could use all introverted functions but if you're primary one is introverted thinking, you're an INTP? Or if your primary is extraverted sensing you're an ESFP even if all your functions are extraverted?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Oh so TECHNICALLY you could use all introverted functions but if you're primary one is introverted thinking, you're an INTP? Or if your primary is extraverted sensing you're an ESFP even if all your functions are extraverted?
    You cannot use all introverted functions. That directly contradicts what I just said. EVERYONE uses all 8 functions.

If your primary function is Ti, you are either an ISTP or an INTP. The only way to decide which one is to compare your preference for Se to your preference for Ne. It doesn't matter if Se and Ne come 7th and 8th in your function order, it only matters which one is preferred.

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Oh, okay. I think I understand. I'm fairly new to them so forgive me. But I did mean preffered rather than ONLY using those functions. My 4 main functions can still be all one way?

So if my functions were

Ti
    Ni
    Fi
    Si
    Fe
    Te
    Ne
    Se

I would be an INTP still?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Oh, okay. I think I understand. I'm fairly new to them so forgive me. But I did mean preffered rather than ONLY using those functions. My 4 main functions can still be all one way?

So if my functions were

Ti
    Ni
    Fi
    Si
    Fe
    Te
    Ne
    Se

I would be an INTP still?
    Yes.

Although I suspect that's not actually your order.

If you want more information (including my simplified definitions of the functions), check out my calculator (in my signature).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I think the functions are supposed to be entire attitudes/perspectives instead of specific actions/behaviors.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    I think the functions are supposed to be entire attitudes/perspectives instead of specific actions/behaviors.
    The functions are NOT attitudes. A preference for a function is the attitude. The functions themselves are just that, functions. Like computer programs. In other words, they're input/output relationships.

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Yes.

Although I suspect that's not actually your order.

If you want more information (including my simplified definitions of the functions), check out my calculator (in my signature).
    I don't know exactly what my order is. I'm INTP but I don't know my functions that well.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

In MBTI theory your type's letters build your function order. INTP- introvert (lead with an introverted function), perceiver (have Pe and Ji), N and T (have intuition and thinking as preferred processes). So since perceivers have Ji and Pe, and N and T are their preferred judging and perceiving functions, they are TiNe. And everyone uses TFSN functions, so then you have Si and Fe (the other end of the spectrum of Ti and Ne).

I've always figured that everyone just used their main 4 primarily. I think that the other 4 are used unconsciously, and that anything that looks like (for example) "Fi" for an INTP is just Ti being fed by their Fe. Function combinations can make it look like you're "using" another one.

You probably have a strong Si, and that combined with Ne and the thorough analysis of Ti may look like an Ni thought process, for example.

I know that someone's gonna come in here and say "everyone uses all 8, duh" with absolutely no reasoning; but that's just my opinion. Something to think about.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)