User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default Typing people on the internet

Is stupid.

I know I've done it. And that was stupid of me.

Any type can make any argument. Maybe their internal reasoning looks different, but all anyone here has access to is the output after cognition has taken place.

Its hilarious to me to see people say stuff like "that's a little cold-hearted for an F", or "that's too value-oriented for a T".

I've seen way too much of these posts recently and must say I'm losing my tolerance.

The funniest (and most stupid) instance of this trend is when people disagree and label the opposing poster as a type with fewer letters in common with them. Might not even be conscious when it happens. But it's just dissonance resolution.

It's easier to believe people in your type have your views. When that assumption is challenged, either you a) accept that your assumption is incorrect or b) change your perception of the other person's type. I keep seeing option b all over the place.

This is not directed at all of you, but jesus, people, MBTI doesn't just explain personality. It would be nice and easy if it was so aesthetic and simple. But its scope is soooo much more limited than many of you want to believe.

Edit: crap, I said "way too much" of these posts instead of "way too many".

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Total ISTJ.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    The funniest (and most stupid) instance of this trend is when people disagree and label the opposing poster as a type with fewer letters in common with them.
    ahahahahahaahahaha

yeah

It sort of just circles around into itself and confirms itself

"The other. The other. The other. The other."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

There's a certain "expert" in the field who is infamous for that. (The fewest function-attitudes in common, moreso than letters).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Kultainen Kuningas Devil Flamingo's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    LOL

XD Yes. Though I've always been NF, and most online places I frequent people that know me know this about me, I've been accused quite a few times of being cruel, abrasive, insensitive, etc. I've even been told I ought to learn empathy! So I'm totally not ENFP at all, right? Riiight. XD Because feelers can't be cruel or brash or insensitive or dismissive of others' feelings at all, yet I am obviously not a thinker, so what could I possibly be, loool?
    4w3 sx/so ·· ISFP (?) ·· rcu|E|n
    gryffindor-ravenclaw ·· chaotic neutral
    leo sun ·· scorpius moon ·· earth dragon

metsän ukko halliparta, metsän kultainen kuningas,
    ava nyt aittasi avara, luinen lukko lonkahuta!

Evan, without the help of people willing to type others on the Internet, I'd still be stumbling around blindly as an xNTx. A few people were generous enough with their time and efforts, particularly Kasper, to point me in the right direction.

Once type was ascertained, reading and learning more about it has helped me to understand some of my own knee-jerk reactions or approaches to problem solving.

So I have to protest your thread to some degree although I do agree that MBTI or any sociological or psychological theories aren't exacting sciences and shouldn't be considered as such.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Evan, without the help of people willing to type others on the Internet, I'd still be stumbling around blindly as an xNTx. A few people were generous enough with their time and efforts, particularly Kasper, to point me in the right direction.

Once type was ascertained, reading and learning more about it has helped me to understand some of my own knee-jerk reactions or approaches to problem solving.

So I have to protest your thread to some degree although I do agree that MBTI or any sociological or psychological theories aren't exacting sciences and shouldn't be considered as such.

the same goes for me as well. i thought for several years that i was an INFP, since that's how i always tested, and was quite frustrated with the MBTI because i never felt comfortable when reading explanations of the typing. i came here because i really like the MBTI and was intrigued but frustrated. the kind people here - marmalade.sunrise, eckhart, and petra pan especially - helped point me in the direction of ENFP, which has made things much clearer for me, and already helped me a lot in my personal life. not to mention encouraging my interest in all things MBTI and personality. thanks guys

what i do have real a problem with is when people say "no you cannot be ____" - and, like you said, assign a type further away from their own letters. that gets on my nerves very much, and i try to avoid it myself, though i am certainly not infallible.

i don't think internet typing is a bad thing... we just have to keep open minds about it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

How do you look at 'before cognition'? And can you not view videos 'on the internet'?

If you want to argue about the plausibility of typing via an indirect means, lets. Words still contain enough degree of information. Although, there are definite disadvantages, enough honesty can usually determine a most suited label for the average person. Some are slightly harder, of course.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post

Okay, I guess I should make my point more explicit...

I'm not saying other people can't help you gain perspective on yourself, or even have valid insights about your personality that you aren't conscious of.

I'm just saying it should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Body language is ~50% of communication.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

And this is half of why I've never posted a 'what type am I' thread...