• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hipster

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Oooh, my favorite pet topic! The term "hipster" has gotten totally warped to be almost meaningless now. It is both an insult and something people aspire to be. My friends with more of a social analytical bent say that hipsters enjoy the irony of poverty as an aesthetic on a big budget. Like ordering Pabst Blue Ribbon and looking like a starving artist while riding around town on a $3,000 Italian city bike.

It's like the term "geek". Geek chic by the way is also an element of hiptser culture. Ooh, or the term "punk". It meant something once but has basically blown up so much in the public consciousness and the public eye to become mass-produced, commercialized, and imitated to the point where it is just a look to try on for the tweens and Millenials. Now it basically means shopping at Urban Outfitters. :alttongue:

Personally, I have always maintained that it takes *work* and an aesthetic eye to be a hipster. Wearing a keffiyah (or "keffiyah inspired" scarf) doesn't cut it.

This is just my own ridiculousness, but I get annoyed when people throw the term "hipster" to basically anyone under 30 who rides a bike. The term has become totally bastardized into meaninglessness in some parts of the country or some scenes.

Like any scene, there are specific aesthetics and even pretensions that you have to maintain and meet to qualify as a hipster. Hipster aesthetic has chutzpah in my opinion and a sense of ornamentation/display/artfulness that I appreciate. Purely on aesthetic grounds, I'm insulted for hipsters when I see large segments of totally unstylish, not even trying, boringly dressed people described as a "hipster".

This is my own ridiculous rant. It has merit though. :p

Yes, these things become totally distorted, which is why in general it is best to just avoid labels. Although maybe I'm slightly hypocritical because I would consider myself a geek/nerd, but I wouldn't get particularly worried about the details of what is what because these labels are very vague and if someone said I was not a true nerd or whatever it wouldn't really bother me.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Yes, these things become totally distorted, which is why in general it is best to just avoid labels. Although maybe I'm slightly hypocritical because I would consider myself a geek/nerd, but I wouldn't get particularly worried about the details of what is what because these labels are very vague and if someone said I was not a true nerd or whatever it wouldn't really bother me.

Yeah "geek chic" and "nerd chic", as soon as a former insult gets cache in pop culture, game over. I think for something like 'nerd' or 'geek' though, it's not that you can be a 'fake nerd' it's just that you just have a lot more *varieties* and depends on the context used. Also, nobody aspires to be a nerd who doesn't have some actual nerdiness in them, even if it's just a love of wearing really thick black plastic frames.

I forgot to say though, one reason why hipsters get such a bad rap is that they are considered elitists or snobs or self-conscious. I don't necessarily think so. All imitated aesthetics started as a genuine lifestyle and still exist. It's similar to what a friend of mine said who was an original San Francisco punk (in their 40s now), at first I was kinda insulted when she said very plainly "back in the day punk actually meant something, it was a movement, but now it's just a fashion statement you kids wear". There is truth in that statement but basically, I don't think it's true that just because someone 'looks like a [fill in the blank] that they are 'TRYING to be look like a [fill in the blank]' or emulate something. I do not identify as hipster at all but when I hear the term 'hipster' used in a derogatory way, I usually say "at least they look good".

Also, a lot of looks that get commercialized on celebrities do come from the streets and still exist in the streets (stylists check out certain parties and neighborhoods and rip off other people). Some people genuinely do dress in a certain way and enjoy certain movies and music because they genuinely enjoy them, not because they feel compelled to put on a uniform or because it gets them a certain cache. I just feel the need to defend some people who are labelled :p

Rambling now.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Also, a lot of looks that get commercialized on celebrities do come from the streets and still exist in the streets (stylists check out certain parties and neighborhoods and rip off other people). Some people genuinely do dress in a certain way and enjoy certain movies and music because they genuinely enjoy them, not because they feel compelled to put on a uniform or because it gets them a certain cache. I just feel the need to defend some people who are labelled :p

Rambling now.

I know it's not always just to be part of a subculture. Sometimes it's just people's preference. If someone wants to dress like an emo, I don't have a problem with that. There's nothing wrong with liking certain styles (even if I think they look dumb :p), but if they do it just to be given the label of emo, I find that a little pretentious.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eh? From what I've read, seen and heard, that's what it means today to be a hipster. They're the people who listen to bizzare, unpopular (with the mainstream) music (which is fine in itself) and then when they become more popular, they say they've sold out to the man and refuse to listen to them anymore, regardless of whether they think it still sounds good. If you're going by a different definition, fine, but that's what I've learned them to be. Subcultures always tend to have dynamic and shifting definitions anyway. And FWIW, I am wearing a t-shirt and track pants, and my hair does is slightly curly, about 2 inches long and unstyled.

if you spend a LOT of time listening to music, there is something to be said for keeping it fresh. looking for it and searching for something unique that fits into your style and identity does make it like fashion. but that can be a productive activity as well. and, like fashion discourse, you ARE relating to the current scope of musical discourse. it is both identity and image-making, and it does have a very strong kind of sp (Se) physical image restlessness, i just had to do something, so i got another tattoo, etc. but there are many lasting influences, long-term affections, continued styles, etc.

i agree with cze cze in large part. anything that defines itself against the mainstream can get easily lumped into the term hipster. i think the word she used, "varieties," like sociolinguistics, is really absolutely totally perfect. aspects of the logic are continuous, but not everyone embraces any specific features, irony, elitism, drollness, whatever. in complex urban environments the density of cultural differences make this a far far far less relevant and realistic concept than in college towns with 18 year olds looking to define themselves from magazines or the few locales they might actually halfway know and looking up to the imported students from the best scenes for starry-eyed guidance.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Great thoughts, CzeCze! I think that's a good point about celebrities and stylists stealing genuine looks off the street, too.

I have to post this--I posted it a while back in Domino's blog, but if you haven't seen it, it's good for some laughs.

[YOUTUBE="kAO4EVMlpwM"]Hipster Olympics[/YOUTUBE]

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
hipster-cat-takes-on-the-chilean-miners-25302-1286980936-17.jpg

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Haha. Well I think its a bit ironic to be prentetious about a pretentious group of people. Ya'll sure are having fun with this thread I made, so keep on keeping on hipster haters. Its cool to see something I put together still going on after so many some odd months.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Haha. Well I think its a bit ironic to be prentetious about a pretentious group of people. Ya'll sure are having fun with this thread. Keep on keeping on hipster haters.

It's easy for me to hate on them, having lived with one. Shit gets old, it's irritating. For me it's less about being pretentious...not like "oh I'm too cool to be a hipster"...for all I know I fit the profile from a distance...and more about getting annoyed with a specific attitude.

I don't think of "hipster" as the first definition in Urban Dictionary (you know, the top one which was clearly written and approved by butthurt self-identifying hipsters). I think of it as the one three or four definitions down.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah "geek chic" and "nerd chic", as soon as a former insult gets cache in pop culture, game over. I think for something like 'nerd' or 'geek' though, it's not that you can be a 'fake nerd' it's just that you just have a lot more *varieties* and depends on the context used. Also, nobody aspires to be a nerd who doesn't have some actual nerdiness in them, even if it's just a love of wearing really thick black plastic frames.

I forgot to say though, one reason why hipsters get such a bad rap is that they are considered elitists or snobs or self-conscious. I don't necessarily think so. All imitated aesthetics started as a genuine lifestyle and still exist. It's similar to what a friend of mine said who was an original San Francisco punk (in their 40s now), at first I was kinda insulted when she said very plainly "back in the day punk actually meant something, it was a movement, but now it's just a fashion statement you kids wear". There is truth in that statement but basically, I don't think it's true that just because someone 'looks like a [fill in the blank] that they are 'TRYING to be look like a [fill in the blank]' or emulate something. I do not identify as hipster at all but when I hear the term 'hipster' used in a derogatory way, I usually say "at least they look good".

Rambling now.

right...i wonder if some of you would label me as a hipster if you saw me...i'm not in the least snobish tho and i've never liked anything because someone else deemed it cool but i do like to see people dress with a sense of humor...i think it's awesome and it makes me laugh...you know what else i love is those japanese street kids that dress like club kids...i knew a lot of club kids in the early 90's and always loved going out and seeing all their different outfits....fashion should be fun i think.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
right...i wonder if some of you would label me as a hipster if you saw me...i'm not in the least snobish tho and i've never liked anything because someone else deemed it cool but i do like to see people dress with a sense of humor...i think it's awesome and it makes me laugh...you know what else i love is those japanese street kids that dress like club kids...i knew a lot of club kids in the early 90's and always loved going out and seeing all their different outfits....fashion should be fun i think.

We're not saying there's an issue with whatever fashion you like, it's just the irritation that comes from the pretentious aspect which comes up a lot.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
We're not saying there's an issue with whatever fashion you like, it's just the irritation that comes from the pretentious aspect which comes up a lot.

Exactly! Like I said I probably look like a hipster from afar, and if you go by the first definition on Urban Dictionary you could apply that to so many people in their 20's and 30's that it almost seems like a moot point.

HOWEVER, the distinction I make (and I know others also make) is the ridiculous snobbery - it's the attitude. My ex is the epitome of that "I know all about this, I knew before you, I have friends in the underground, therefore I am a superior being." In my mind this is the distinction between being just a liberal young person who likes indie culture and actually being a "hipster."

Well, that, and just being a total tool about it, like drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon just because everyone else does.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well alright then...so you're not saying eeew they're all fashiony and hip..they suck. you're saying "hipsters" are people just trying to be like the cool kids?? haha no...i don't think i really get it..you mean...they're just pretentious little shits?

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
well alright then...so you're not saying eeew they're all fashiony and hip..they suck. you're saying "hipsters" are people just trying to be like the cool kids?? haha no...i don't think i really get it..you mean...they're just pretentious little shits?

Yup.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
okay..yeah my brain is wired weird i think because i can think not right things are funny..in that omg how can you really be that way kind of way..like it's surprising and amusing or something. my friend used to valet at the mall it cracked me up..just because to me it was so ridiculous. i didn't think of him negatively or anything..just thought it was a funny lil quirk.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
okay..yeah my brain is wired weird i think because i can think not right things are funny..in that omg how can you really be that way kind of way..like it's surprising and amusing or something. my friend used to valet at the mall it cracked me up..just because to me it was so ridiculous. i didn't think of him negatively or anything..just thought it was a funny lil quirk.

WUT?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sorry...was it jumbled..i was just reflecting...on my funny friend who was somewhat pretentious...but it amused me...i think i was going to explain further how i can think certain behaviors can be funny to me in a completely detached way but didn't...nevermind sorry.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Nothing makes me laugh quite like jeans that are tight at the ankles (being worn by a guy).

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah i kinda hate skinny jeans...ughh...i don't laugh and point at those who wear them haha but yeah most of 80's fashion was pretty bad and it's worse regurgitated.