User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Thread: The Hipster

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Wow, dressing and acting ironic sounds really dumb. They sure put a lot of effort into things they apparently don't care about. But I suppose that's ironic too. This crap is confusing!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

As someone who spent my adolescence in the 90's, I do understand it - at least the heightened sense of irony. I understand it on such a level that it just seems normal to me, almost, kind of what Lady X said (we're probably around the same age because I know she's friends with someone I went to high school with).

It had meaning at one point, at least I think it did. There was meaning to it when it hadn't really been done before and it WAS a statement about feminism to dress like a repressed woman from the 50's, and for straight men to wear skirts and eyeliner, and to mock corporations and organizations by mis-representing their logos and uniforms. There was initially a philosophical idea behind it, and I'm sure there still is for some people.

Also, it can be fun to say...go to an ugly grandma sweater Christmas party? I know someone who did that recently. I can see how that could be fun.

I've already mentioned the humor I see in some of it...but yeah, it's gotten out of hand, to where it's just pointless...and maybe the pointlessness of it IS the point, that it's nihilisitic, like nothing has inherent meaning.

However, some of it seems...cruel...to me. Like wealthy bitches mocking working class people by making trucker hats fashionable.

...anyway...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Haha pbr is pretty bad but i'm fond of the memories.

the can is nice at least. that is, it looks pretty.
    It is a nice looking can, but it always makes me laugh because they're still putting "Voted America's Best in 1893" * on it.

(*not participating in that vote: women, every black guy in the South)

EDIT: wooo 500th post
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Yeah, we did that crap in high school. I remember some of my friends thinking that things like ugly bowling shirts or old McDonald's uniforms and items of that nature were a total fashion score.

The trucker hat bullshit earlier in the decade was another example of that...people like Paris Hilton running around in a trucker hat, someone who I'm willing to bet has never seen the inside of a long-haul freight cab.

Personally, though, I will admit the idea of some of the stuff makes me giggle, like the grown man in a Girl Scout shirt, especially if he doesn't have any children. Maybe I'm easily amused.
    Yeah, I think I like it when someone individually does that kind of stuff, but with the hipster crowd, it most often comes off like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    Hipster = rejecting what is mainstream for that reason alone and loving what isnot mainstream for that reason alone. The first thing that comes to mind is Fe. They want to be part of a group, that is, the part of a group that isn't part of any group because this group of people are rebels and fly solo with their own uniqueness that each person in said group has equally.

Basically, it's another subclture where you conform to particular rules of nonconformity. It's a paradox, but it's the fact that they're hipsters that means they don't realise their contradiction.
    And, just UGH. If you're wearing a slightly longer version of Bieber hair and ironically ugly glasses while you wear a Christmas sweater? Congratulations for being a tool.
    Something Witty

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Yeah, I think I like it when someone individually does that kind of stuff, but with the hipster crowd, it most often comes off like this:

And, just UGH. If you're wearing a slightly longer version of Bieber hair and ironically ugly glasses while you wear a Christmas sweater? Congratulations for being a tool.
    Eh? From what I've read, seen and heard, that's what it means today to be a hipster. They're the people who listen to bizzare, unpopular (with the mainstream) music (which is fine in itself) and then when they become more popular, they say they've sold out to the man and refuse to listen to them anymore, regardless of whether they think it still sounds good. If you're going by a different definition, fine, but that's what I've learned them to be. Subcultures always tend to have dynamic and shifting definitions anyway. And FWIW, I am wearing a t-shirt and track pants, and my hair does is slightly curly, about 2 inches long and unstyled.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    INTP

I was agreeing with your assessment by quoting it.
    Something Witty

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I was agreeing with your assessment by quoting it.
    Oh, sorry. I totally misinterpreted that. It looked like the Ugh! was in response to my definition, and that you were reffering to me.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Basically, it's another subclture where you conform to particular rules of nonconformity. It's a paradox, but it's the fact that they're hipsters that means they don't realise their contradiction.
    Among my favorite examples of this: People who spend God knows how long painstakingly managing their hair to look like they don't even bother with it.

So many things about that thought process confuse me, more than most "conform to nonconformity" rules.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INTP

Oh, sorry. I totally misinterpreted that. It looked like the Ugh! was in response to my definition, and that you were reffering to me.
    Sorry 'bout that. I can see how it'd be confusing. However, it's 3am, and I'm too lazy to fix the setup.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    GONE

Oooh, my favorite pet topic! The term "hipster" has gotten totally warped to be almost meaningless now. It is both an insult and something people aspire to be. My friends with more of a social analytical bent say that hipsters enjoy the irony of poverty as an aesthetic on a big budget. Like ordering Pabst Blue Ribbon and looking like a starving artist while riding around town on a $3,000 Italian city bike.

It's like the term "geek". Geek chic by the way is also an element of hiptser culture. Ooh, or the term "punk". It meant something once but has basically blown up so much in the public consciousness and the public eye to be come mass-produced, acknowledged commercially, and mass imitated to the point where it is just a look to try on for the tweens and Millenials. Now it basically means shopping at Urban Outfitters. Also, look at what happened to the website 'nerve.com' once a bastion for hipster dating.

Personally, I have always maintained that it takes *work* and an aesthetic eye to be a hipster. Wearing a keffiyah (or "keffiyah inspired" scarf) doesn't cut it.

This is just my own ridiculousness, but I get annoyed when people throw the term "hipster" to basically anyone under 30 who rides a bike. The term has become totally bastardized into meaninglessness in some parts of the country or some scenes.

Like any scene, there are specific aesthetics and proclivities that you have to maintain and meet to qualify as a hipster. Hipster aesthetic has chutzpah in my opinion and a sense of daring and originality in arts/entertainment that I appreciate. Purely on aesthetic grounds, I'm insulted for hipsters when I see large segments of totally unstylish, not even trying, boringly dressed people described as a "hipster".

This is my own ridiculous rant. It has merit though. :P
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari